Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Going to Aviano AB, Italy

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Going to Aviano AB, Italy

Im hoping to get some advice from some of you who have been to Italy. Ill be there in June 2015 once I get done with this tour in Korea. I'm aware they will only pay to ship one vehicle so I have decided to leave my WS6 at home and bring my G8 to Italy unless shipping the WS6 is cheap which I doubt.

First off are there any vehicle restrictions they enforce? My car isnt heavily modded and I have cats after my longtubes and could pass 49 state emissions. Are there any car scenes to hang out with? How is insurance compared to stateside? My G8 is still under loan and has full coveragr insurance. How are the roads? Are there any performance shops in the country?

Any advice on these questions and then some is highly appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited by HoLLo; 09-16-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Aviano is amazing!!!! I miss it, but not much for performance shops..... I don't remembering for restrictions on vehicles, no emissions or anything that I remember. Was a 4th gen and a vette there when I was there I'm trying to get back there, if I do I'm bringing my Vette... Leaving for korea in a month so who knows.....good luck, boobe burgers were the **** same with Cal bar..... I miss the pasta the most
Old 10-13-2014, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

I'm here now. It's a cool assignment and you'll have fun with the G8 here. There was a white one here but I think he PCS'd. There really isn't much of a scene here but there are some cool guys on base that get together. As mentioned above we meet at Boopes usually on Friday nights. I don't go a lot but every now and then I will and every now and then well all meet up for dinner. I didn't bring my highly modded Cobra here and wish I would have. Before that I had a highly modded TA. I cant wait to get something with a lopey cam when I get back! I also did the Korea thing and before that I was deployed right up until I left for Korea so I sold it as I didn't want it sitting so long. I bought a new BMW 335 M Sport here to fill the car itch through the programs here... I had to have something fast while I was here. There really isnt to many areas to open it up for racing but there are a lot of county roads...hitting triple digits isnt hard. Roads here are all single lane which I can't stand. So you can't have any fun doing a little racing. There was an area people used to do some racing at night but local cops (Carabaneri) were on to it.

Anyway, you'll have fun here. There are some really cool peeps here. Were like a select group of actual car guys. I always enjoy meeting real car guys at new places. Germany is the ideal place to really have fun. Driving on the Autobahn is one of my favorite things Ive done here in a car. Its awesome! But traveling around Italy has been cool. I've driven a Ferrari 430 here along with touring the museum, been to the BMW factory/museum and I'm about to do the Lambo tour. The G8 will be a good car for here as its fast and fun to drive. I took my 335 down to Pisa, Cinque Terre up to Munich then through Austria on a road trip and had a blast. Tons of cool road trips you can do here. You can get on it pretty good on the Autostrada. Most people with a decent car do about 85-95. The MAIN thing I HATE is paying the stupid tolls. It's part of it here though. I leave next Apr and overall I've had a good tour (3 year) and been so many places and seen so much I'd take up to much to write on here. Get out and see stuff when you get here!! So many people complain but they never get out.

Oh, there is a FB page that a lot use but its not just for Aviano its for a lot of DoD bases here in Italy. Search "Naples,Aviano,Sig,Vicenza,Ramstein, Belgium, Car Enthusiast". There are some cool guys on the page.

I don't get on here much anymore. I'm just lurking for cars in the states but feel free to message me for any info.

Quick Reply: Going to Aviano AB, Italy