Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Drill Sergeant in the Reserves

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Drill Sergeant in the Reserves

I'm currently on Terminal Leave from active duty and just signed up to be a DS in the Reserves. Anyone else with this MOS? Also since I don't know a thing about the Reserves I've got a few Q's....

If I wanted to get a job overseas ( Iraq , Afghan) would it be possible for me to do so? Would I just get it approved with my unit? Etc?

I'll think of more Q's later...
Old 03-28-2011, 12:12 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being A drill Sergeant is MOS immaterial. Sounds like you are in or going to a reserve training command/brigade. You made need to talk with your CSM once you get there if you are wanting to deploy.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

My stating the DS MOS was just to see anyone else has the MOS. The statement about taking a job overseas is just pertaining to the Reserves in general.

Anyways...So they CSM the BN Commader may be able to approve of it???
Old 03-29-2011, 06:43 AM
roy
TECH Resident

I am sorry I wasn't clear. A drill sergeant is not a MOS, it is a special qualification identifier (SQI).
You can request for deployment, but doesn't necessarily mean your command will approve it.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Yes that may be the true technical way to put it but my MOS in the Reserves will be a DS. I actually don't recall my new MOS identifier but it's not gonna be 11B2O(new SQI).......It's something different.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

That seems like one of those things you'd try to find out BEFORE you sign a contract....but maybe that's just me?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

There was no need to ask it at the time because I wasn't considering a job overseas in Afghan/Iraq...But I recenty noticed some well paying jobs that I am qualified for so I figured I'd ask since I don't report til the end of April....
Old 05-19-2012, 07:31 AM
TECH Resident

Well it is possible to go overseas as a contractor and be in the Reserves. I'm over here making $$$$ and still in the Reserves...
Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 PM
roy
TECH Resident

So where you drilling at overseas?
Old 05-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

WTF? smh, are you sure you're in the military? The questions you're asking is the kind of stuff that civilians ask. Or perhaps a PV2 that's getting kicked out due to Failure to Adapt. Or perhaps a certified window-licker. Dude, you don't drill while at war. You're at work while at war, doing the kinds of things you've heard about or perhaps seen while drilling over the weekends. If you're a civilian working overseas, you had damn well better make sure the Army okays it. Gone a year or so without drilling or reporting to your unit...not kosher. Either way, the stuff you're asking is so completely uninformed that it's impossible to really help you or guide you in the right direction. Hell, at this point, any direction but the direction you're going would be the right direction.

Last edited by ricks4genshianne; 05-19-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Not a single one of you answered with a actual helpful comment. And Ricks.... WTF are you stupid. How the **** was a single question I asked similar to something a window licker would say? I got off active duty and then joined the Reserves last year. After being in the Reserves for a short period I got a job offer for overseas. I knew nothing of how the Reserves functioned or if it was possible to work overseas and have the obligation of the Reserves. And I made DAMN sure like you said that the Army ok'ed it. I have orders allowing me to work overseas as a contractor and still dril IOT still have a "good year". How long have you been in the military you fucknuts? And what unit are you in up at Campbell?Read before you jump to conclusions you dumb ******* POG
Old 05-19-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by roy
So where you drilling at overseas?
With a unit here in Afghan..I hook up with them on my days off to meet my drilling requirements. Then when I get back stateside it's back to being a DS
Old 05-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
Not a single one of you answered with a actual helpful comment. And Ricks.... WTF are you stupid. How the **** was a single question I asked similar to something a window licker would say? I got off active duty and then joined the Reserves last year. After being in the Reserves for a short period I got a job offer for overseas. I knew nothing of how the Reserves functioned or if it was possible to work overseas and have the obligation of the Reserves. And I made DAMN sure like you said that the Army ok'ed it. I have orders allowing me to work overseas as a contractor and still dril IOT still have a "good year". How long have you been in the military you fucknuts? And what unit are you in up at Campbell?Read before you jump to conclusions you dumb ******* POG
Then ask your NCOs how the Reserves work. That's something any Soldier that's served more than 2 weeks would have known...especially if they've been in that environment for any length of time. By getting it okay-ed by your CoC, you would have been given your operating instructions, thus not needing to make yourself look stupid here. How long have I been in? Only since 1997. Not long. Yeah, I'm a pog, but at least I know how to find information, especially information that'll keep my *** outta jail, on my own. Like an NCO is supposed to. Are you SURE you earned the stripes that you're claiming, ***-swinging ****-monkey leg? You are the reason grunts are thought of as less than cannon-fodder. You do know what cannon-fodder is, right? Or do you need a pop-up book to figure it out? Homeboy up there tried to give you the answer several times. The only time you exhibited ANY kind of comprehension is when I jumped in. You're welcome. Go enjoy being a boy scout.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, thats exactly how my brother would have said it lol
Old 05-19-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

What unit are you in fuckface? No worries if dont respond I'll get some buddies to keep an eye out for your ****** mobiles...And are you ******* retarded? Nothing you have made a comment to makes any god damn sense..And when I originally made this thread I hadnt even reported to my unit yet you dumb ****. And how the **** did I make myself look stupid? I asked a simple question that some dipshits chimed in on...I'll handle your *** when I get back stateside ************...
Old 05-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Okay. Cmon.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is possible to get a contractor job overseas as long as there is a unit with roomm to hook up with to meat your yyearly drilling requirements but you will hhave to get it approved with both your commander and thhe unit they find for you to hook up withs commander. IMHO its more trouble than its worth. And if youre going to be a ds then thats gonna mot likely make it twice as hard for you to pull it off. Ds are selected bbased on performance of the idividual and the needs of units so if youve been sellected for ds they mosst likely need you for a specific reason and wont be letting you lleave stateside very soon. Your best bet hold off on the contractor idea till your out of the reserves or at the very lleast until you run your course as a ds. And i know how much of a pain it is to try and get to go for the contractor slots from personal experience. Im satcom and the contractors in my fielld over there make damn near 200k a year so of course i tried to jump on it. Didnt happen. But good luck maybe youll get lucky
Old 05-19-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

Like I said I am a DS and I am over here in Afghan working as a contractor and reporting on random off days... It's just a FYI for others in case they're thinking of doing the same thing..Can't beat the $XXX,XXX.XX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Drill Sergeant in the Reserves