Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Selling vehicle to German local national?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Selling vehicle to German local national?

Just moved to Germany and my vehicle should be here fairly soon. It's a 2012 Wrangler and I've been told by several people that the Germans will pay out the butt for one. I don't really need the Jeep and would rather pick up a hoopty VW or BMW while I'm here. Anyone know the process for this? The Jeep is financed. If nobody on here knows, does anyone know where I would go to find out the process? Possibly JAG?

I'm also looking to do this with my motorcycle as well, but may end up selling it to a service member.

Also, anyone know the best way to advertise a vehicle for sale in Germany? Any websites like craigslist or other ways to get exposure outside of post? Thanks!

Last edited by Tan327; 11-29-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Bamberg.bookoo.com there should be a Schweinfurt one as well both should be free. You can also find some good stuff on there as well besides vehicles
Old 11-29-2012, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

I sold my Camaro to a German when it was totaled. If memory serves right I had to get all of the papework from Vehicle Reg and they gave me all of the neccesary forms and procedures.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bookoo's pretty good for selling to other military people
there are usually "on-post trading" facebook pages for most of the decent sized posts in Germany, and yard sale facebook pages too.
Germans don't get on any of those though, unless they are married to americans
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Go to the German Customs (Zoll) but just a heads up the customs does a check on the vehicle to see what its worth elsewhere to make sure whoever is buying it doesnt over pay.
I have the process somewhere and will post it if I can find it. Its really not that hard
Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the help everyone.

Originally Posted by 01SOMm6
Go to the German Customs (Zoll) but just a heads up the customs does a check on the vehicle to see what its worth elsewhere to make sure whoever is buying it doesnt over pay.
I have the process somewhere and will post it if I can find it. Its really not that hard
If you can find it I'd really appreciate it!
Old 12-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Here you go, I found the post on the German forum I was on.

All u need to do is take a sales contract to the us customs on base including the sales price in euro, sellers name adress and passport number. They will issue you papers saying you can sell it if you owned it longer than 6 months. With those papers ull go to the german customs, together with the car and the buyer! The german customs will check the vin on the car, see if the price is reasonable (kbb and german schwacke list) and then the buyer has to pay the 19% plus 10% import tax plus first years german taxes depending on the car. He has to pay it right there so he has to b there in person with you. Then they stamp and issue you more papers which ull take to us registration right after to deregister the car!they will take ur us plates right there so the buyer has to hav red plates to take the car home! And thats it for u! The buyer will hav to change the car to get the german title n stuff but thats all on him.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01SOMm6
Here you go, I found the post on the German forum I was on.

All u need to do is take a sales contract to the us customs on base including the sales price in euro, sellers name adress and passport number. They will issue you papers saying you can sell it if you owned it longer than 6 months. With those papers ull go to the german customs, together with the car and the buyer! The german customs will check the vin on the car, see if the price is reasonable (kbb and german schwacke list) and then the buyer has to pay the 19% plus 10% import tax plus first years german taxes depending on the car. He has to pay it right there so he has to b there in person with you. Then they stamp and issue you more papers which ull take to us registration right after to deregister the car!they will take ur us plates right there so the buyer has to hav red plates to take the car home! And thats it for u! The buyer will hav to change the car to get the german title n stuff but thats all on him.
Awesome, thanks! Doesn't sound too bad. Do you know if it matters if the vehicle is financed on my end? Will they work that out at German customs as well?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

When I was stationed in Aviano Italy, We weren't allowed to sell our vehicles to anyone accept another military member. You could buy a car from an italian, but you couldn't sell to them. I don't know if the rules are the same in Germany.

Quick Reply: Selling vehicle to German local national?