Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Types of tires for Germany

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Types of tires for Germany

Hey guys, i'll be PCS'ing to Spangdahlem in May. I'm about to get new tires for my Camaro but read about they have meet certain specs. It will be a Spring/Summer/Fall car only so I'm wondering if you can have any tire outside of the winter time frame?

THanks!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man. I am stationed in Ramstein. They want you to have winter tires during the winter months obviously, and during the spring/summer/fall... you can run whatever you want. Any type of summer tire. Basically, you could run your summer tire year round, but if you do get in an accident when the roads are slick and you don't have winter tires, it is automatically your fault.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres an actual start and ending date during the cold season, where you are required to have at least all-season tires. They have to say "M+S" on the sidewall. I don't remember the what the actual dates were, cause I just ran all seasons on my truck.
And you can't run studded winter tires, they are illegal in Germany.
I've heard of people getting pulled over for traffic violations by the Polizei, and getting ticketed for not having the all seasons.
There are also some roads that go up over mountains, that require you to have winter tires to pass thru certain, dangerous sections. If you don't have winter tires, they have a place to buy or rent tire chains, to make it thru that area.

Quick Reply: Types of tires for Germany