Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Force Reduction 2014

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Force Reduction 2014

Anyone else on the USAF chopping block? .. I don't know whether or not if I'm going to volunteer or roll the dice... Although, If I read the memo right just as long as I make rank I'll be exempt.. If it's true, I need to make rank!
Old 12-28-2013, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The folks that need to be concerned are the ones with marks in their record. If you ever had an article 15, have a UIF, on a control roster etc....expect to be let go early. If you have been straight as arrow and your PT is ok, your good.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

12 years and one EPR4 four years ago. 2years ago failed a pt test by 2 situps but all has been good since.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hawk584
12 years and one EPR4 four years ago. 2years ago failed a pt test by 2 situps but all has been good since.
I don't think you will have any issues as long as you currently do not have a UIF. People with current derogatory info shows as a code on the record...basically flags. What AFSC are you in?
Old 12-29-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

2MOX2 Missiles and Space Systems
Old 12-29-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its easy to find out, go to VMPF and look under reenlistment. It will give you the code. Mine is a 1P-eligible to reenlist. I did get an e-mail this past friday though about the board coming up. I am apparently in an overmaned career field (3D). Hate to say it after 13 yrs but I think I am going to take them up on thier offer to get out. Air Force is becoming more of a corp. than military, at least in what I do. Had fun while it lasted that and feel fortunate to have seen and done the things I have. Best of luck to all those military folks who serve and will continue to serve.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I said many years ago when people asked that I would go as far as the Air Force would let me go... Study my *** off to make Tech and hope I make it though the fire. I'm not ready to leave yet, My car isn't finished! and I want to be as close to debt free as possible before getting the boot!.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am sure you will be fine. This is just bait to get as many people to voluntaraly get out before they start do the non-vol stuff. If they get enough volunteers then they will not have to resort to booting people.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I keep forgetting about the forced retirements too
Old 12-29-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

I've been in less than 3 years so I'm exempt from them, but we do have a few guys that might get hit by it here.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

My AFSC (62E) went through a RIF back in the 2007-ish time frame...I was at AFIT at the time getting my master's degree, so we all thought we were safe since we had been selected for such a competitive program. Bad assumption. There were a couple that were let go right in the middle of their program, and it was pretty devastating to watch.

Seems like the ones that were let go had some sort of blemish on their record, and from what I could tell, they were very minor. Still, the AF was looking for any reason to let people go, and they did. It was pretty eye opening for me, and is a part of why I separated from active duty about 2.5 years ago.

At the end of the day, you are nothing more than a number to the military, so don't forget that. There are a few commanders out there that truly take care of their people, but there is only so much they can do. The acting Secretary of the Air Force (Fanning, who has since been replaced with the actual SECAF that was pending confirmation) came to talk to people at Wright-Patt a couple months back, and his message was very clear: with wars drawing down and the budget being what it is, the AF is going to get smaller. He promised that they would use whatever voluntary measures they could, but those will only go so far.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to worry, but I'd have some backup plans close by just in case. When it hits the fan, it hits fast. The dudes I knew that were let go were given their letters on a Friday, and came back on Monday not wearing a uniform. Thankfully they let them finish their degree, just without a pay check.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Wow that sucks. I'm a 62E and trying to go to AFIT in 2015. Knock on wood, but I don't have any blemishes on my record. I know we are over manned for my year group, so it'll probably be a continual problem throughout my career if I stay in.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Teching In

2A6X2 here and we've been overmanned for who knows how long. I have a mark on my record 09 and I'm thinking heavily on just taking the offer instead of taking any chances on being voluntold. September will be here in no time.

I agree with jasond26, definitely had fun but I just don't enjoy it like I used to
Old 12-29-2013, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I got my degree and some certs, got my Gi Bill, been to a lot of different places but this new Air Force just isn't for me anymore. Gonna talk to AFPC tomorrow and get the ball rolling on moving on. Need to make some room for those that want to be there. SAM here I come!
Old 12-29-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
My AFSC (62E) went through a RIF back in the 2007-ish time frame...I was at AFIT at the time getting my master's degree, so we all thought we were safe since we had been selected for such a competitive program. Bad assumption. There were a couple that were let go right in the middle of their program, and it was pretty devastating to watch.

Seems like the ones that were let go had some sort of blemish on their record, and from what I could tell, they were very minor. Still, the AF was looking for any reason to let people go, and they did. It was pretty eye opening for me, and is a part of why I separated from active duty about 2.5 years ago.

At the end of the day, you are nothing more than a number to the military, so don't forget that. There are a few commanders out there that truly take care of their people, but there is only so much they can do. The acting Secretary of the Air Force (Fanning, who has since been replaced with the actual SECAF that was pending confirmation) came to talk to people at Wright-Patt a couple months back, and his message was very clear: with wars drawing down and the budget being what it is, the AF is going to get smaller. He promised that they would use whatever voluntary measures they could, but those will only go so far.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to worry, but I'd have some backup plans close by just in case. When it hits the fan, it hits fast. The dudes I knew that were let go were given their letters on a Friday, and came back on Monday not wearing a uniform. Thankfully they let them finish their degree, just without a pay check.

Officers are in a totally different category when it comes to RIF. What an enlisted person can get away with, not so much for an "O". If an "O" has EVER failed a PT test, received a referral OPR, LORs, Article 15s etc...you should be concerned. Even if you did a 180 since the incident and have been blemish free for a while, that stuff still sticks! When you have a group of elite folks, who do you let go? It's those "minor" infraction folks. It does suck, but officers are held to a higher standard.

Enlisted folks need to worry if they are on a UIF, control Roster etc. DOS roll back will get them.

I do feel a bunch of folks will voluntarily retire and separate...Also like mentioned above, the AF is changing and not for the good in some eyes.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by jasond26
Yeah, I got my degree and some certs, got my Gi Bill, been to a lot of different places but this new Air Force just isn't for me anymore. Gonna talk to AFPC tomorrow and get the ball rolling on moving on. Need to make some room for those that want to be there. SAM here I come!
You'll be just fine...there's life outside of the military, and it's pretty good IMO. If I had to do it over again, I'd still separate...it was the right choice for me, and more importantly, my family.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm worried, my DOS is Dec'15. BUT! I have plans, Houston Tx first for sure. I have a family member who works with a company at the Houston Space Center. I know nothing is guaranteed but he says with my clearance it will be fairly easy for them to find me something to do. If not, Well I've been pretty flexible for the past 12years so if needed I'll go where work is.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Well I'm on the list for the retention board along with 30+ people from my shop. I might just apply for VSP....
Old 03-03-2014, 06:35 AM
Teching In

I'm not sure if people fully understand this. They got rid of most of the people with blemishes, UIF's, Article 15's, ECT. in 12-13. When you read the all the small print it states that this IS NOT LIKE ANY OF THE PREVIOUS BOARDS. Meaning its not all about the blemishes, its about the numbers. Example in my career field there is currently 597 personnel eligible for early out. And we have a overage of 297 people, do the math. I don't know if any of you are part of leadership and get the emails about this and the number break down but I do. As said earlier its all about the numbers. I am eligible for TERA, Im not going to take it and my record is clean but I am going to the board. Per VMPF, they did send emails to everyone who is on the board. The best way to find out is to ask your commander or senior leadership.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

For the first time in my entire career I can say after reading all of this, I'm glad I'm not in the air force!!! jk, good luck to everyone.

Quick Reply: Force Reduction 2014