Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Hello everyone, 20yr AF Retiree here

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Hello everyone, 20yr AF Retiree here

Hey all,

I retired from the AF last year and returned home to MN to be closer to family. Nice to meet you all and I look forward to chatting and sharing stories with everyone!
Old 09-12-2016, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome Ozz!!! What was your last base?
Old 09-13-2016, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Welcome. How's the civilian world so far? It's been 7 yrs and I still hate it.

What was your MOS? My son is in boot camp now at Lackland. He'll be In Flight refueler.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! I just crossed my 20 year mark in the USAF on 11 September. I had to extend until May 2018 because I gave my GI Bill to my kids. Any pointers for those of us about ready to punch out? I'm working on writing a resume now. I never had to write one because I joined right after high school. I have taken the seminars offered on my base. I'm trying to find a job that is closer to the east coast even if I have to break into a new career path. I'll be honest, it is making me pretty nervous.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Darth, I can honestly say, try to find a job with the military. Even if it's contract. It will be a stepping stone to a GS job if you can't land that right away. I hate the civilian world. I wanna kill someone every day.

I'm sure the AF offers a something comparable to the Armys ACAP. Army Career and Alumni Program. I had a retired 1SG completely write my resume' and he was damn good. Even now, 8 yrs later, I can go back and they will update my resume' free.

There's a guy on yellowbullet that was giving me alot of info for my son who is in AF boot camp now. He was a loadmaster for 25 yrs, now works for UPS, sitting at a desk doing load layouts on a computer making 125k/yr. That's a pretty good gig. The AF background has a lot more to offer than the Army, based on your job.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a Jet Engine mechanic by trade and I have done a lot of jobs within that career path. I am at a base where there is a lot of civilians. Not all are bad, but some whine and act their shoe size instead of their age sometimes. Also, there is so much overhead and rules that wrenching is not fun anymore. At least not here.

I have heard of some of my old bosses taking a lower paying civilian job just to get their foot in the door and not long after they are in management. I'm betting on me having to make the same type of move. Which will suck, but hopefully only for a while.

Quick Reply: Hello everyone, 20yr AF Retiree here