Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Car inspection when youre stationed out of home state

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car inspection when youre stationed out of home state

Can anyone enlighten me to how this works? I will be doing CSO training in Pensacola Florida, but I am from Pennsylvania. Since I am only going to be in Pensacola for around a year I was not planning on switching my state of residence and registration of vehicles to Florida. How do I stay current with inspections if my vehicles are still registered in PA? Will I have to drive it back to get the inspection, or is there another option. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I found your answer but I'm not going to tell you but I will give you a hint:

Google search: Pennsylvania Dmv military exemption
Old 09-28-2016, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

Nothing in the links that returned says anything about inspection, only registration and licencing. Thanks for the smart *** answer though
Old 09-30-2016, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Don't worry about an inspection. Other states don't know anything about other states regs.
All they worry about is your registration being current. All of my 21 yrs in the military, I had at least one car registered in Pa. I would register car in in Pa to beat emission laws and just to have the Pa plate representing Pa.
I never had a single inspection sticker on any of them and even drove back to Pa in them and never got pulled over while on leave. LOL Go figure.

I even had a Pa DL that had no photo. In the photo area, it said "Valid without Photo" when I needed a license with a current valid date for being a Master Driver.

But here's a link to help you. Or just call Penndot and they'll help you along.

http://www.dmv.pa.gov/Information-Ce...Personnel.aspx
Old 09-30-2016, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Smart ***? It's like military regulations. A lesson of leadership. You can give your subordinates answers to certain questions but they won't know where to look to get the answer if asked by higher supervision or you can make them better by directing them where to go to find the answer to prevent the,"I don't know" answers... So here you go. Since you want someone to do the work for for... It was the 1st link on a Google search. Pretty self-explanatory..

" You must have the vehicle inspected within ten (10) days after returning to the commonwealth. NOTE: Anyone can take the vehicle to be inspected, provided they have valid proof of ownership (usually the registration card) and valid proof of insurance."

http://www.dmv.pa.gov/Information-Ce...Personnel.aspx

Last edited by hawk584; 09-30-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:43 AM
TECH Resident

hawk5840- I am aware of that part of the page and it does not answer my question. I took that to mean you have a 10 day buffer once home from assignment to get a vehicle inspected, as in the vehicle is not being driven until you return from the assignment. I was inquiring about staying legal driving in other states with a possibly expired inspection from a home state.

Sapper- Thanks for your experience. Hopefully I won't have any worries about it. I was planning on getting in touch with penndot, but was not off of work in time.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

What that says is that you'll be ok to drive your car out of state if under orders without an inspection. Let's say you're a Pennsylvania resident who's military and are stationed in California for 5years. You don't have to drive all the way back to pa every year for an inspection because you are exempt. Most states say, Because you are military you fall under the military exemption which means you don't have to change residency or vehicle registration. Only thing that follows state to state is insurance. The vehicle needs to be insured in the state your residing in.(check with insurance company on its requirements) The way it reads, per PA,DMV, you are exempt from inspections. Once you return to PA you have 10days to get the vehicle inspected. Every state is different and some require forms to be filled out. Example: utah, certain countries require emissions testing. If Ut resident and stationed in Florida the military member has to fill out an exemption form. If he/she is stationed in another state that does require emissions testing then they have to get it tested and results mailed back to ut's Dmv.... Florida does not have any safety Inspections. Always keep a copy of the states Dmv military exemption in the vehicle. For me, per North Dakota DVM , if stationed out of state, aan expired drivers license is valid in-conjunction with a valid military id card up to 30days from entering back into the state or 30 days after separation... It can get confusing. The best suggestion is to call your local DMV for clarification on the states Military exemption laws

Last edited by hawk584; 10-01-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Ah ok. That is much more comprehensive. I definitely took the info on the page to read something different. Thanks for the information. I will double check with penndot on Monday just to be safe.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

(Keep in mind Im currently a ND resident) Im born and raised in Ny. When I joined the usaf I was a ny resident and vehicle registered in ny. I got stationed in North Dakota. ND(much like FL) does not require safety inspections or emissions testing. Because stationed in ND I didn't need to get safety or emissions tested. Let's say I got stationed in UT, I then would have to get inspected and E-reader. .. when I was stationed in Ut as a ND resident I didn't have to comply with UT standards. On base was a different area since it was federal land. At one point the base did require emissions testing for all vehicles yearly. Then to save money on window stickers the base stopped the requirement just before I got there.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Don't worry about the inspections. Like I said, other states aren't even aware of another states laws. You might get that one cop who may know about it, especially if you next door. Like if you were stationed at in Maryland or something. But as long as you have that active ID, they can't say ****. Also, be aware, there are some states, i.e., Alabama, that do not have an exemption when the license expires. So if for some reason you end up getting stationed elsewhere and getting a resident license there and it expires while you're somewhere else, you may be screwed.

Dammit, I've been retired a long time and you guys making pull all this Master Driver stuff from my forgotten archives!!!
Old 10-06-2016, 01:19 PM
Teching In

I can vouch for all of this. I have a PA license and my car is registered there. Both my license and inspection have been expired for years. Don't need to renew my license unless I'm in pa for 30 days or more according to the PA DMV. No one has ever pulled me over period for my inspection and I was stationed in NJ for 6 years.

Quick Reply: Car inspection when youre stationed out of home state