Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Joined the Army

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I am definately trying to soak up any info I can right now to be prepared for whatever.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ls1lover
11B but do what your told its all a mind game and Drills lie alot. With the recycle BS ya dont believe it you could go to sick call everyday and still graduate i bet...
Well, I guess all human beings lie, including you, at some point in time lol. No, you cannot go to sick call everyday and graduate. If you miss one mandatory training event (which is almost a daily thing) you will have to be recycled unless time can be found for your drill to send you to another company (who is doing that event) for the day to make it up. And that is sometimes impossible. If it is something like a roadmarch that is missed, and the soldier is squared away, sometimes is will be waived so he/she can graduate. But that decision belongs to the company commander, not the drill sergeant. Though whatever the drill suggests is probably what will happen. This guy does not need a barracks lawyer for advise
Old 01-20-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
Ft. Jackson is said to be the easiest base for BCT. This is probably because they have stress cards that can get you out of a situation if you can't handle it for some reason. I do not know if they still have them, one of the drill sergeants I see every month told me they don't have them when he went there.
I never saw a "stress card" lol.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Congrats! One thing, Save your $$$. 1/2 that bonuse should be in the bank.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright well maybe I shouldn't have said anything because I have not been there myself. I'm pretty sure I saw it on a channel like Discovery; maybe the History channel.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
Alright well maybe I shouldn't have said anything because I have not been there myself. I'm pretty sure I saw it on a channel like Discovery; maybe the History channel.
I heard about it myself. I imagine it was something that was tried somewhere. But I never saw a basic training unit that had them. If mine did I would have turned in my drill sergeant hat. Jackson is easier than Benning. Jackson trains females and they have to graduate somehow. Not being sexist, just realistic. They are a physcially weaker species. But all these guys who go through Benning nowadays and say how hard it is make me laugh. Today it is *nothing* like it was when I went through in the '86. Around '93 when Clinton got elected it all changed.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

When I went thru basic back in 74 the drill sergeant's did everything short of plant a boot in yer *** (and when nobody was looking they would) to motivate you. ALL of them were Nam vets and just like John Wayne toilet paper: They were rough and tough and they didn't take any **** off of anybody. No females mixed in, they had their own cycle. Stress card? WTF?!?!?! Back then it was be a man and deal with it or get the **** out! I went on to Infantry school at Ft Polk Louisiana, the armpit of the world. Think you had it hard? Think again....

Last edited by Z-Convert; 01-20-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

My friend I work with (in Tomball too) enlisted. And he is in Georgia right now with his wife. When he came home, he had a special forces patch on. I believe he is being deployed in a few months. He loves it. I am seriously considering it.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

How long has he been enlisted? Is he SF or with an SF unit? SF training ranges from 1-4 years I think.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Restricted User

1st Can you say TSP put your bonus pay there!(like a 401K)....you will blow your bonus on something that will break, need more money or be gone in 5 years if you don't....

2nd think... 1st day of BCT walk up to the Drill Sergeant and tell him you think the two of you will become close friends, you will leave BCT in the best shape of your life lol.

A good rule is don't do anything you would not do in front of your mother, grandmother or 1st grade teacher.

I have been in 15 years and was a SDS at Ft Jackson 1/34 IN for 3 years.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by woodman13

2nd think... 1st day of BCT walk up to the Drill Sergeant and tell him you think the two of you will become close friends, you will leave BCT in the best shape of your life lol.

Funniest sentence I have heard in over a month!

Semper fi!
Old 02-04-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

when the drill says "Im gonna smoke you" you respond with "you cant smoke a rock" they love that **** the drill will love you...
Old 02-04-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by woodman13
I have been in 15 years and was a SDS at Ft Jackson 1/34 IN for 3 years.
When and what company??? That is where I went in June through August of 98 A co 1st platoon.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

To the original poster, you have a really good MOS but it is challenging if you are not adapt at electronics. Also, you might be required to get a TS clearance before you can start classes. As far as filling out your SF 86 if you haven't done so yet I have one piece of advice for you. BE HONEST!!! If you smoked dope, tell them you smoked dope. If they ask you how many times tell them how many times. If you don't know tell them ALOT LOL. A background/security check is not to disqualify you because you did something in your past, it is to check your honesty. Basically they are seeing do you have anything to hide in your past and are you susceptable to blackmail. If you have a close family member who is in alot of trouble all the time and comes to you for help there is a good chance you might not be granted a clearance even though you may not have done anything wrong. Not only is your job worth alot, but provided that they still require you to have a clearance before graduation is money in itself. I have a clearance and I'm looking at a 75k a year job with NO COLLEGE DEGREE. If I had a degree with my OJT experience I would be talking $120k is starting. As for getting through basic remember this. The Drill Sergeant's job is not to fail you, his job is to train you to survive in the Army and to keep other's alive. You are a rifleman first and foremost and don't forget that. I have 1 guy in particular as a E-5 received a bronze star for his actions in Afganistan as a combat cameraman LOL. Basically he saved the a$$ of about 1/2 dozen Rangers during an ambush. Keep low head and never volunteer for anything. You are going during a good time of the year. I went in June and being from the northwest US I thought I was going to die. You will find out just how tough you are not physically but mentally. You're body will be able to go on, you just have to convince your mind of that.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Just do what Gump did, " because you told me to drill sergeant!", and you'll be fine. Just remember thousands upon thousands have done it before and thousands upon thousands will get their chance to do it still. I don't know how it is now since it's been 14 years but I heard it isn't all that bad. Keep an open mind and do whatever they tell you to do. I do remember a crusty old NCO telling me to start a savings, not this guy, I regret it now. Do like people have been saying, get in on some type of investment, contrary to popular belief the TSP program the services provide is good. One more piece of advice, when you get out of basic just be at the right place, at the right time, in the right uniform and you'll be heads and shoulders above your peers, shiney boots help!!!!!
Old 02-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Just do what your told to do and shut your pie hole. Save your money, learn what your supposed to learn, and go to school while you can. Yes the Drill Sergeants will help you pass, unless your a turd, in that case we will keep you around to make an example out of you, then recycle or drop you prior to graduation. We are there to train you and set you up for success. Yes there are times when we seem like normal people, but take it lightly. Jackson is a little easier because its under the "TRADOC" spot light. FLW, is the best place IMO. I currently work with 25S, and pretty much they are in there own little world, with there own SATCOM facility. Seems like an alright MOS.

BTW, tell the Drill Sergeants "you cant smoke a rock" they like it.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DetroitDrillSGT
BTW, tell the Drill Sergeants "you cant smoke a rock" they like it.
fo sho, what I said
Old 02-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Banned

I think everyone has covered everything. Especially the woman ****. I was warned not to get hooked up with some chick from Fayetteville, and am paying for it now in Iraq. Don't worry about it, it will be over, do what you're told, be at the right place, 10 min. early, with the right gear. Try to blend in, don't stand out. Even though everyone is wearing the same uniform, it will be easy to stick out. You'll end up screwing yourself and people in your platoon. Be prepared to be tired and sore all the time. Sat. comms? Hmm, guess you won't be staying in much past your first enlistment probably will you. That's good. Get ready to go to Iraq, and if you can avoid it, stay away from the Brigade Combat Teams. They suck ***!
Old 02-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flieger
Just do what Gump did, " because you told me to drill sergeant!", and you'll be fine. Just remember thousands upon thousands have done it before and thousands upon thousands will get their chance to do it still. I don't know how it is now since it's been 14 years but I heard it isn't all that bad. Keep an open mind and do whatever they tell you to do. I do remember a crusty old NCO telling me to start a savings, not this guy, I regret it now. Do like people have been saying, get in on some type of investment, contrary to popular belief the TSP program the services provide is good. One more piece of advice, when you get out of basic just be at the right place, at the right time, in the right uniform and you'll be heads and shoulders above your peers, shiney boots help!!!!!
Dude, we don't shine boots anymore. Or press uniforms either.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

^^^I beg to differ

Quick Reply: Joined the Army