Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

In need of some info on Airforce /piloting Ah-1's

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of some info on Airforce /piloting Ah-1's

Well, I just had a few questions here. I am already affiliated with the Military and I was thinking about getting some info on piloting. Now, I got a huge interest in the AH-1 Cobra copters. After I sat down and talked to my buddy who recently flew in Iraq. I was wondering which way would be the best to go, Air force. Navy. I want to go to school for it (obviously) instead of just going into infantry, which I have no problem with cause I love infantry, but I want to get something much more out of it. I really got an interest with the copters over the past 8 months or so. I know i would go through my basic training, but for you pilot guys out there, what comes next and what's the best way to start? Any advice would be great and thanks a ton!
Old 05-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Restricted User

I thought the Cobra was phased out except for one or two Marine units? I am Army and I know we phased them out of Reg. serivce, sending them all to Res/Guard, but when I was instructing Air Assault we were told even the Res/Guard was getting rid of them. Last time I seen one was across the pond in the big sand box, but none of the pilots enjoyed their flights in them too much. More prefer the AH-64, a much more lethal and safe AC. The Army's Flight Warrant Program is really needing pilots, badly. Although I am not a Pilot, I have a couple good friends here in Hawaii that are, and I had my WOC packet in a couple times but pulled it. It is rather easy to get the AH-64, its harder to get the UH-60 or CH-47, you have to be a better pilot, score better on tests... The positions for schooling are compromise b/w your abilities and their needs....if your bottom scorer but passing and want to fly CH-47 forget it.. Not sure if this helps, but thought I would throw that out there. The Cobra is only Rotary Wing Aircraft in the inventory (Army wise) that was NOT named after an American Indian/Native American Tribe, tid bit.
If I can help you anymore, let me know. I could get my buddy to talk with you as well, he is a Blackhawk Pilot, with Test Pilot duties (he hates that part). The other is a Dolphin Pilot, USCG.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Launching!

I'd say go Airforce and fly something with an ejection seat, but I'm a little biased. As far as deployments go, the AF is definitely a better life. If you have any specific questions let me know.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Restricted User

Oh no arguement there, the AF is way less deployment time, and shorter when they do go. Pilots in general are going to go across the pond more than many other jobs, branch regardless. I will get Phil's ATTN to this thread as he is the UH-60 Pilot.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cobras are phased out, the Cobra graveyard is at Fort Drum NY. The attack helicopters are the AH64D Longbow Apache mainly and the AH64A Apache. OH58's are also used in a few attack battalions as well as in Cav squadrons. The AF is not really accpeting helicopter pilots now anyway, they are always looking for fixed wing pilots though. The ARmy is the best bet if you want to fly helicopters. If you dont have a collage degree, apply for Warrant Officer. You have to go through Warrant officer candidate school and then Flight school.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:10 PM
NKAWTG...N

I believe Marines still fly them and that is it. Air Force doesn't have any "attack helicopters", Navy has ASW and SAR helo's but not any "attack helicopters" per say to my knowledge. Army and Marines are the only ones with true helo gunships.

According to a reputable online source: "The AH-1W is operated in eight composite HMLA squadrons composed of 18 AH-1 and 9 UH-1 aircraft. "
Old 05-27-2006, 03:49 AM
Teching In

Marines have Cobras and should be getting Super Cobras (AH-1Z/Vipers) in the near future. If you want to go that route talk to a Marine officer recruiter, they might still have the guaranteed flight billet after commissioning that was being offered a few years ago.

To fly for the Marines you will need to be an officer. The Army guys can let you know more about Army helos (I know they have a Warrant Officer flight program), but as far as Navy/Marine aviators, you have to go through the full pipeline and may not get what you want. Needs of the Service come first so you may not even get to fly helos (assuming you want to be a rotor-head). I know a few people who wanted Cobras and didn't get them. Like I said, your best bet is to talk to the recruiter and make sure to get all the info before jumping into anything. Any other questions let me know.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah Marines still fly cobras, but for the most part they are in the graveyard in NY.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NEED2SPEEDLS1
Well, I just had a few questions here. I am already affiliated with the Military and I was thinking about getting some info on piloting. Now, I got a huge interest in the AH-1 Cobra copters. After I sat down and talked to my buddy who recently flew in Iraq. I was wondering which way would be the best to go, Air force. Navy. I want to go to school for it (obviously) instead of just going into infantry, which I have no problem with cause I love infantry, but I want to get something much more out of it. I really got an interest with the copters over the past 8 months or so. I know i would go through my basic training, but for you pilot guys out there, what comes next and what's the best way to start? Any advice would be great and thanks a ton!
If you're interested in helos specifically, then the Army is the way to go. I don't say that cause I'm in the Army...it's just reality. If you wanted to fly fixed-wing, then AF by all means!! But, the Army has more helicopters than all the other services combined, and the training is commesurate with this.

Anyhow, Cobras are mainly used by the Marines now. They are very good helos and the pilots are competent I've seen Cobras definetly F things up for the bad guys in Afghanistan. But...we're talking about the easiest way to get YOU flying as a civilian right now. So:

1. You would need to contact an Army recruiter. You need to be VERY VERY specifinc that you have no interest being enlisted, period. You are interested in filling out a Warrant Officer flight packet. Period. Don't listen to their BS of go enlisted first and then it's easier. Filter that crap out and stick to your guns.

2. You will need to take a few tests. First is the ASVAB (generic military aptitude) test. You need what's called a GT score of at least 115. After that you'll take the AFAST (or Army Flight Aptitude) Test. It's a cross of generic physics, math, flight basics, and psychological questions. The key is the military is looking for a Type-A personality. Period. Easy enough.

3. Once that's done you'll take a physical exam. Need 20/20 vision (or I think 20/50 correctable to 20/20 right now) and be in good health. This will be followed by some letters of recommendation, a resume, a few forms, and then all the above is sent to a selection board.

4. If you're accepted for flight school by the selection board you'll first go through Basic Training like all other recruits, then off to Ft. Rucker Alabama for Warrant Officer Candidate School, primary, instrument, combat skills, and advanced flight schools, and the Warrant Officer Basic Course. Time frame is about 6-9 months to apply, about 305 months after selection to begin training, and 12-18 months for training.

Currently the Army offers flight options in four different aircraft. The UH-60 BlackHawk (medium utility helicopter used for assault and MedeVac operations), the CH-47 Chinook (Large utility aircraft used for transport of troops and heavy lift), the AH-64 Apache (attack aircraft), and OH-58D (scout and light attack) helicopter.

To get started google search Warrant Officer flight and it will direct you to the Warrant Officer Center career center that provides contact info and an application packet. A recruiter can also get this info for you.

If you have more Q's feel free to PM me. I'm a UH-60 Test Pilot in the Army and have been flying these for over 7 years. More than happy to help.

Good luck.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Im with HMLA 167 and if you want to talk to one of our cobra pilots I can get you in contact with one.

Quick Reply: In need of some info on Airforce /piloting Ah-1's