Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

New Usareur Law Is Bs!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Usareur Law Is Bs!

I JUST WANTED TO LET EVERONE NOW ABOUT SOME NEW LAWS HERE IN EUROPE. I JUST CAM BACK FROM VEHICLE REG. AND I FAILED! IT WAS NOT FOR A MECHANICAL ISSUE. AS OF 17NOV06 YOUR POV CAN ONLY BE 80db W/ OVER 150kv OF POWER @ HALF OF YOUR RPM. WHICH I HOPE U ALL HAVE. I HAVE ONLY A CAT-BACK SYSTEM AND SOME TASTEFUL MODS ON MY SS. IT READ 96.6db. ALSO YOU MAY NO LONGER HAVE TINTED AFTER MARKET WINDOWS. I FAILED THAT TOO. EVEN IF YOUR STATE ALLOWS THEM. MINE ARE ONLY 50%. I WANTED TO GET SOME FEEDBACK ON WHAT YOU ALL THINK ABOUT THIS ISSUE. AND ANY IDEAS YOU MAY HAVE ON HOW TO TONE DOWN THE db FOR THE TEST WITHOUT PUTTING ON A NEW MUFFLER.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ummm, the loudmouth exhaust might not be the right choice for ya there. It's generally considered one of the loudest exhaust systems around.

Sounds like the rules suck, but you're probably going to have to play by them. I'd consider a Hooker exhaust or the SLP dual-dual muffler. Decent flow, quiet.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put a flange where your muffler is supposed to be.
put a muffler there.
pass test.
unbolt muffler.
rebolt loudmouth pipes to flange.

problem solved.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Fair enough... But how do I know that it will be under the 80db still. And my next mod was going to be LTs. Now I can't even have sorties.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:26 AM
NKAWTG...N

Good God man take off caps lock for ***** sake.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by slayer63b
Fair enough... But how do I know that it will be under the 80db still. And my next mod was going to be LTs. Now I can't even have sorties.

simple.
when you do this, use a stock GM muffler. or one of the aftermarket stock replacements that are like stock. not a performance "muffler".

take my friend jasons car for example. (hes the one i stole the idea from)
he has a 383 stroker, Giant cam, longtubes, ORY, and a 4200+ stall.

with his cutout open, or his muffler off, its VERY VERY VERY loud.
but with the cutout closed, thru the stock GM muffler, its so quiet, you would think its stock with a plug wire off. you can have a normal conversation in the car. i can even hear my cellphone vibrate... its that quiet.

coolest part on his car is that he has a electric cutout, so he can be loud, then quiet with the push of a switch... but thats another topic...

in anycase, put a flange back there and stick a muffler on to pass.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Sounds good to me... if your frind has that many mods it has to work. I was hoping for something even less exspensive like put steel wool in there or dynamat. I don't know? And as for the caps I just got back at the time and felt like YELLING to blow off some steam.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

wow they actually have a db meter there to check, thats ******* gay. makes me think twice about going to europe
Old 11-21-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Military personal overseas MUST obey ALL local laws. Doesn't matter what state it's registered it. It is now in Europe, obel ALL laws.

Trying to go around the laws will only make Americans less desirable in their country. Play nice while your there. SUck it up, nobody made you sign on the dotted line.

If you don't like it, get a DD214 and get out.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Splitz
Military personal overseas MUST obey ALL local laws. Doesn't matter what state it's registered it. It is now in Europe, obel ALL laws.

Trying to go around the laws will only make Americans less desirable in their country. Play nice while your there. SUck it up, nobody made you sign on the dotted line.

I hope you bring your ride over here so they can **** you. With your long tube's.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't gotta worry about it, I modded my car AFTER I Got out.

duh!
Old 11-22-2006, 12:52 AM
Teching In

well... I don't think the lady having a mid life crisis in my sig modded it . I am just letting everone here in Europe know if you have exhuast. Next time you have to go to get inspected be ready for a nice surprise. And that I think the new rule is a joke becuase they don't even have cats on a lot of cars here or a smog. Anyways a HMMWV is twice as loud and no one cares about them.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:10 AM
Teching In

Found this... might just work.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 11-22-2006, 04:58 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Where are you at in USAEUR? It sounds like Germany as I'm not sure Italy does it yet. I knew the test was coming out but it hasn't hit everyone in Germany yet from what I understand. The tint well there is a way around that. Just disable the window switch (I know it's cold) but it's just temporary for the inspection. IF you are wearing the new plates w/ the German vs the US/Nato tag then yes that tint law applies to you I believe.

The cones may work as I've used them in the past but they'll work better if you have cats. I didn't run cats and just used the cones and it got a little more quiet but not by much. I would try the cones w/ some steel wool inside the cone THAT will shut that puppy up for sure.

How high did they wind the engine out before you failed the test? 2500rpm 3K rpm? I'm dreading mine in the spring as I've just built a blown 388. IF I fail oh well I've got 1 yr left. It's been down almost 2 yrs so another yr won't hurt me.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

for your application of actual sound reduction, the cones do nothing.

matter of fact, the ONLY thing they're useful for is getting a small db drop on all out drag cars that are REALLY loud (Not "street car loud")..
on your car, you will still fail that test with them.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SRZ
Where are you at in USAEUR? It sounds like Germany as I'm not sure Italy does it yet. I knew the test was coming out but it hasn't hit everyone in Germany yet from what I understand. The tint well there is a way around that. Just disable the window switch (I know it's cold) but it's just temporary for the inspection. IF you are wearing the new plates w/ the German vs the US/Nato tag then yes that tint law applies to you I believe.

The cones may work as I've used them in the past but they'll work better if you have cats. I didn't run cats and just used the cones and it got a little more quiet but not by much. I would try the cones w/ some steel wool inside the cone THAT will shut that puppy up for sure.

How high did they wind the engine out before you failed the test? 2500rpm 3K rpm? I'm dreading mine in the spring as I've just built a blown 388. IF I fail oh well I've got 1 yr left. It's been down almost 2 yrs so another yr won't hurt me.
Yes, I am in Mannheim, Germany the plates on it now are only temps. For the test whatever your redline is... They will rev it about half way. Stupid is it not. Now for the window trick they will not fail you for your windows not rolling up? If not kickass! Will save me some loot on having to get them redone.

One last thing I have the loudmouth I on the SS. Not the II that comes out really easy whenever you want. I was thinking I might just go to something else like a welding hooker in it's place because I have heard it sounds like **** w/ LTs anyway or putting a 14.00 dollor summit right before the axle just for the test. Then drive around the corner to the craft shop and put the loudmouth right back on .
Old 11-22-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by slayer63b
Yes, I am in Mannheim, Germany the plates on it now are only temps. For the test whatever your redline is... They will rev it about half way. Stupid is it not. Now for the window trick they will not fail you for your windows not rolling up? If not kickass! Will save me some loot on having to get them redone.

in that case, a simple solution would be to "lower the redline"

its alot easier to keep the car quiet at 2500rpm then 3500..... past the 3k mark the engine gets alot louder.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Also this year you must have "Mud & Snow" Tires or snow tires during the winter season. Even radial tires are no longer acceptable. Makes you miss the US
Old 11-24-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Splitz

Great advice...way to motivate Johnny Law. Glad peeps like you are getting out. Anyway, as mentioned above you could just replace your LM bullet with a normal high flowing muffler. They are many available that will still give your car that muscle car sound without failing the db test. I just left England 4 months ago and the MOT inspections are very stringent. I installed a flowmaster 80 series muffler in place of the bullet (with a little tappity tap) and was able to leave my LT's on (after the inspection to pass emissions) and my car still sounded mean but was environment friendly. Enjoy Europe!
Old 11-24-2006, 04:02 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as the windows are concerned they shouldn't fail you as that's not part of the test. They are testing the mechanics of the car ie, horn, blinkers, hazards, brakes, etc. Windows don't have anything to do w/ that. It can't hurt to try. My car is registered inop at the moment so in Mar I'll bring it out and see what happens. Since they base it off the rev limiter I'll set mine to 4500rpm limit. It's a big block it doesn't need to spin that high is what I'll say. LOL! Good luck man and let us know how it turns out! I could've sworn that Mannheim was less strict?

Quick Reply: New Usareur Law Is Bs!