Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

USAA: worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried USAA and they were way way way high. So was Gico military... I ended up finding the cheapest for me was Esurance.com. I guess it's diffrent for everyone.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Default Usaa Ftw

Ive had USAA for about 8 years now, and i wont ever go anywhere else. Yes, they can be a tad pricey, but the are VERY easy to collect from on claims, they dont hassle or try to get out of things, and very very fair.

For example, i got ran off the road in my POS 97 honda civic DD that had 180k miles on it. It was a POS for real. Oc course they totalled it, but they dont pay those rediculous low rates that other companys do, they actually had an adjuster research other like cars in my area for sale for 3 days, and based my cars value off of that. PLUS they gave me 100% value for every mod that was on the car (stuff previous owner did, exhaust and rims).

In the end USAA payed me 4800 dollars for my civic that i bought 8 months earlier for 2000 tax titled and licensed out the door at an infinity dealership, yes i am USAA for life
Old 04-20-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow...lots of great, positive stories for USAA. i was really thinkin about switchin to them when i get back from this deployment, but, ive also heard state farm's great (just dont know how great they are when/if it comes time to collect off a claim). im 22, pay ~$650 semi-annual full-coverage payments, with 1 ticket on record with State Farm AND i have a v8 "sports car." ..i dunno...i'd classify it as a sexxxy car, but...wutever. but thats also under my mom n pops' "family plan" deal...so that may play a big role in my deduction.

nevertheless, ill check them out when i get back. i just wanted to see wut others thought of them. i've always heard great things about them when they deal with military members. sucks they dont insure bikes tho...thats wut i was gonna get when i got back

thanks for all the helpful replies thus far!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

They have insured Bikes for me. My Honda CBR, then my Harley Dyna Superglide, then my Harley Softail Night Train. They may have only insured them for me because I've been with them for so long. They initially did not want to insure them, until I threatened to leave the company.

Good news for you though. Since you are with State Farm, they insure motorcycles by cc's not by what type of bike it is. Will probably be the least expensive for you.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I use USAA for auto and renters ins. and it is the best price by fay that I have seen for me. All be it I have been with them now almost 12years. Also they were just named the #1 customer service company of any kind not just ins. by Newsweek magazine I believe. I will never switch to anyone even if I could save a few bucks.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ive had USAA insurance and banking for almost a year and a half and just love it. You have a problem with something and you call them up and even on their busiest day you dont have to wait more then a few minutes. Plus the customer service people actually listen to you and your problem and try to solve it.

I had full coverage on my car and while riding down the road a 12 wheeler through up a huge rock and it smashed into my windshield. The windshield had about 7 HUGE HUGE cracks in it. I called them up to see if I was covered and sure enough I got my windshield replaced for FREE without me having to pay a deductible or a rate hike.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

what do you mean is it worth it? it costs you nothing, and they give you the best services you can get... is it worth what?

bank of america is pretty bad, once you really start getting into their services and trying to use them they don't help you out much.

USAA reps will sit there and talk to you over the phone for an hour if you want happy, helpful, and knowledgable. here's a simple example of the difference: when USAA transfers you to another rep, instead of just pushing the button and hanging up so you have to explain your entire situation to the next rep over again, they will call the next rep and explain everything that is going on and tell the next rep they have already verified that you are you, then they come back and say here you go private snuffy this is josie and she will help you the rest of the way...
Old 04-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I banked with them when overseas. I have my car insurance with them still. I left Geico. Rates were about the same, but USAA's service is pretty much unbeatable.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Banned

you would be dumb not to switch with them.
Just kidding, but seriously!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Teching In

The thing about going with USAA is that you become a member and not a customer. In some cases their rates may be higher but how many other companies give you money back once a year? The other great thing about USAA is all the other services they provide.

If you have a vintage/collector car, you're better off going with Grundy or Haggerty. There isn't a year exception if you go with Grundy, and you don't live in NC. Otherwise, the car has to be at least 25 years old. I have full coverage insurance on my 36' Ford street rod, with unlimited mileage and pay @ $170.00 a year. Some restrictions do apply though.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Launching!

I have USAA. I've been using them ever since 1996. I've used them for my credit cards, vehicle loans and insurance. Currently I have two car loans, my VISA card, car insurance and home owners insurance through them. My APR for my VISA is pretty low, so is the rates for my insurance and auto loans. I'm happy with them and will probably keep them for a while. I like it because it's one-stop shopping for me.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ive had them since 2000 when I dropped Geico (commercials are wrong, they suck ***). My insurance with Geico when I had my Dakota R/T was 117 a month. I switched to USAA and it dropped to 79 a month. When I bought my T/A in 05 it only rose 10 dollars a month to 89. Best insurance Ive been with in my 16 years of driving.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

Been with USAA for only about 8 months now and I will NEVER leave them, the price for insurance (for me anyways) is way cheapier then anywhere else and the customer service is awesome....

I was on a road trip a couple weeks ago and when I got back I was watching the car and noticed a few rock chips. So I said what the hell, called USAA and told them what happened and was seeing if i was covered. And to my surprise they told me to take it to the local GM dealer and get a claim started with them and all I would have to do if pay my deductable, so pretty much getting all the chips in the paint fixed for 500 bux
Old 05-17-2007, 04:05 AM
11 Second Club

i'm paying 122 a month for my 99 ss with other companies the cheapest i got quoted was 325. along with that usaa customer support def helps you. I was having problems getting intransit plates and they researched everything, called the dmv's and i dont know if any of you have tried to call ny state dmv but your on hold for a while. They called got the answers and called me back.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

They're the reason I was able to finance my t/a! I love them!
Old 05-22-2007, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just switched over from B of A and also switch car insurance from AAA to USAA. Just like everyone said... Rates were about $500 cheaper per year for full coverage than I could find anywhere else on a 19 year old driver. So far customer service is outstanding!
Old 05-23-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Another thing during my last trip to Iraq the CT DMV got all screwed up and thought my INS was dropped on one of my vehicles so they cancelled my registration and I owed a bunch of fines. Well I did not know any of this happened until I got back and was needless to say pissed when I had to hear that **** after another year in the sand box. I called USAA and they handled everything with contacting the CT DMV and faxing whatever documents they needed. I didnt have to do anything but call USAA and tell them what happened and they took care of it. Plus they called me at home when it was all sorted out to let me know. I love this company!
Old 05-25-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

USAA is the shizat if your married or if your older. Single young airmen get shafted.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

i changed to USAA from Marine Fed. They are GREEEEAT!!! AWESOME deals ,great rates, and you always get things fixed asap, you never have to wait on the phone either. i have 10! accounts with them . fomr savings.checking, CC, stocks, loans and insurance. i will NEVER leave them!!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

I just did there online auto quote and they want 1300$ semi annual, thats insane. If I call in you think I will be given a competitive rate that equals or is less than me 108 a month with allstate? ne one

Quick Reply: USAA: worth it?