Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

USAF officers step inside....

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default USAF officers step inside....

Im just looking for some advice on a career directive....

little history...ive got a college degree in social science and ive been a sheriffs officer and im 24...and i live in jacksonville fl

I recently resigned from my agency due to the direction it was headed and safety issues that werent being addressed, I have the option of working with another police department in vero beach OR becoming a teacher here in jacksonville....

if i stay here and become a teacher, i want to join the air national guard, i have a cousin who's a officer at lackland and a trainer there, ive also got several other family members and friends in the military, and i was raised to give something back to your country, wether it be at the community level or nation wide (thus me being a cop)

its hard to get hold of my cousin to get information, .....so basic is 9 weeks? at lackland...the advanced training after that is 12 weeks? and when and how can i go to OCS? knoxville? and how long is that? thanks guys
Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not an officer, and the basic training has changed a bit since i came in 4 1/2 years ago, but when i went thru, it was 7 weeks total (from 0 week to the day u leave). after that, u leave directly to ur tech school, wherever that may be. for some, they stay in lackland (im pretty sure SP's stay there). either way, u stay in tech school for however long ur AFSC takes to learn. for me, i had 9 weeks at tech school (in wichita falls, tx). after that, u go to ur first assignment, and begin the AF life.

since u have a BA already, u can go thru with basic training, then go to OTS after you've spent a year in the AF. im not sure, but i believe they may only be accepting those who have a technical degree...or at least, ur chances are greatly improved if ur degree is technical-related. once accepted, i believe OTS is around 14 weeks.

there are a handful of commissioning programs the AF has to offer - just gotta figure out which one's for you. hopefully this info helps out a lil bit.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks yea it does...we have the 125th FW at our airport here in jacksonville...

i like this area, im not 18 anymore and i kinda wanted to stay here, however i wanted to be in something that if my country really needed me i could go...thats why i was choosing the guard

i just really want to weight my options and get input....to decide wether i just want to go back to being a police officer or try something new
Old 06-14-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Best bet is to contact someone at OTS and someone in the Guard to help you along. I'm prior enlisted so I went a different route. Been in 14 years, not a bad gig.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

my friends an E4 in the army guard here, she really advised against letting recuriters talk me into stuff....she gave me some good info but it seems there ots stuff is different...my cousin's an officer in usaf...but i barely ever get to talk to him
Old 06-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by staringback05
my friends an E4 in the army guard here, she really advised against letting recuriters talk me into stuff....she gave me some good info but it seems there ots stuff is different...my cousin's an officer in usaf...but i barely ever get to talk to him
I'd research what you want to do then go to a recruiter and tell them what you want to do. From what I've heard and experienced with Army recruiters they'll work with you. Mine never lied to me but I didn't just walk in and say whats the best job you have.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

OTS is 12 weeks...you dont HAVE to go to basic training first. Its easier to apply for OTS and become an office straight up. If you go enlisted you run the risk of getting stuck....like me.

Go talk to a ROTC recruiter...they will point you in the right direction. The enlisted recruiters will try to get you to go enlisted 1st.

if you want to be an officer and only an office DO NOT ENLIST.

edit: now is a bad time to become a 2nd Lt. in the air force. We are going through a force shaping process and about 75% of the young officers that I know are getting kicked out. If you do decide to do it make sure you pick a job where they are not cutting numbers.

Quick Reply: USAF officers step inside....