Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Marines step inside please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marines step inside please.

I want your .02 on the Corps. I been in the Army 11yrs got out joined the Nasty Girls and realized I made a mistake. Still looking for regular work and someone mentioned the Marines. In the Army I can't change MOS, because I passed the 10yr mark. In the Corp I can get a different MOS. I know I have to go back to Basic and will lose some rank. Any info you guys can give would be appreciated. Specific job stuff to general. What do you guys think? I got out for other reasons, but kinda feel like war is where I belong. I wanted to start a normal life, but it's just not working out right now. Any ways. Thoughts?
Old 07-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Launching!

your going to lose a ton of rank if you come into the corps, I believe it's pretty much standard to get kicked back to an E2, I may be wrong though.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

No your right. You will have to be an E2.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Screw a normal life. I got out with the same idea and that didn't work out so I resigned. What kinda MOS would you be looking to get?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Launching!

Marine Corps definitely doesn't promise you a rose garden. Your approx 29 yrs old Boot Camps going to be tough on you. Your going to have to suck up quite a bit of pride, a little easier to do at 18 vs 29.

Like DGEN said what kind of MOS are you interested in? Thats pretty important as a 26yr Marine I can say without reservation there are easier paths to take. You got out for a reason joining the Corps for regular work is not recommended.

We all have a duty and your comment "war is where I belong" is troubling. To me anyhow. Tell us more about what you want to do and we can detail things a bit further for you.

Last edited by Ironmancan; 07-05-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

We all have a duty and your comment "war is where I belong" is troubling. To me anyhow.
Why is that troubling?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Launching!

Who belongs there? While I need to be there with my Marines the next time my turn in the chute comes along to get out and say "I belong there"? Something doesn't feel right. Like I said just my opinion but I'll go with my gut on this one...
Old 07-05-2007, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Maybe war is just his super moto way of saying the military.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ironmancan
Who belongs there? While I need to be there with my Marines the next time my turn in the chute comes along to get out and say "I belong there"? Something doesn't feel right. Like I said just my opinion but I'll go with my gut on this one...
I think the original poster and I have that in common. I got out of the Corps last year and I miss it very much now. I got tired of the day to day "back on the block" so I came back out to Iraq recently as a contractor. The money is nice but at times I'd rather just be back in uniform with the rest of you.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know what I want to do if I get in. I just know that I feel it's the right thing to do. It bothers me knowing my old soldiers will be going back without me. I think I can still make a difference. Knowing soldiers get killed everyday and that maybe if I was there I could do something to stop it. It's just a deep down feeling that I belong where the fighting is. Kinda like my mission in life.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Heres a summery of the Corps....one kick in the nuts after another. All the they do is chew you up and use you for all your worth and then some. Then they spit you out and forget about it.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Airforce is desperate for more security forces and I am sure they would be willing to work with you in at least coming in as e-5. Slightly easier lifestyle compared to the marines but you can still spend time in the desert if that is really what you want
Old 07-14-2007, 01:51 AM
Launching!

*** ss1129 so blatently put it...hes about right. The only time that they treat you like a Marine is when you are in trouble NJP in the corp is about a bitch and a half. Dont get me wrong the corp was the best experience i ever had, but you have to realize that no matter what you rank is they will probably only start you out as an E-2, maybe E-3 out of boot camp. You also need to pick a job in the airwing, they promote you faster, and it costs more money to train you so they will give you better insentive to join/ re-inlist. And above all dont expect to have the ammenities you had in the army, we have crap.
Semper FI
Old 07-15-2007, 03:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best thing for you to do would be to go talk to a Marine Corps recruiter. Your active duty time will be carried over to the Marine Corps. And yes, you will have to go to Basic Training! You can keep, and wear all of your awards, medals etc in our uniform. Boot camp will be tough for you, depending on how good of physical condition your in. You will also, before you go in, need to pass a full Physical Fitness Test. You must have a good RE code on your DD214 aslo. You will also need to retake the ASVAB as well. Best thing would be just to go sit down with a recruiter and see. Its been a few years since I was on recruiting duty, but those are some of the qualifications that I can remember off the top of my head. Hope that helps ya, good luck

rob
SSgt USMC
Old 07-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss1129
Heres a summery of the Corps....one kick in the nuts after another. All the they do is chew you up and use you for all your worth and then some. Then they spit you out and forget about it.
Amen to that man. 9 months left, that's all I'm saying. Zosickness, if you really want to join the Corps, do it. Just giving you fair warning, life can really, REALLY suck sometimes. And just hope they dont stick you in 29 palms, been here 4 years now...
Old 07-20-2007, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1_Z28
Amen to that man. 9 months left, that's all I'm saying. Zosickness, if you really want to join the Corps, do it. Just giving you fair warning, life can really, REALLY suck sometimes. And just hope they dont stick you in 29 palms, been here 4 years now...
Yeah, Im talking to the army recruiter this month. The corps can stick the 28k where ever the **** they want.

Quick Reply: Marines step inside please.