Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

I need info on moving...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I need info on moving...

for military member w/ dependents.

I need some direction or information where I can get valid scoop on things like: allowances, time table on moving and etc.

I know I have to do ALOT of searches. I have two places I'm thinking of PCSing to: Hickam or Sheppard.

I never moved w/ a family before so I don't know anything on how to handle this financially, strategically and in a timely manner. My wife likes the idea of moving but is freaking out on how are we will be able to afford to move.

Any shed of light of information would be really helpful, thank you.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Key words....Dislocation Allowance! When I moved it was like 1400 bucks, but you get it on the back end when you file the travel voucher. If you are truely broke, you can request advanced pay..Your commander can authorize up to 1 months pay that will be interest free and taken out of your check for the next 12 months.

Moving with the family is not that big of a deal, just alot to deal with. Are you a USAA member? If you are, they can help.

Jack
Old 07-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DLA helps, but you can also get a 1 month advance from finance with no approval. You can get 3 months with your Squadron CC approval. Interest free for a year. Take it and invest it if you don't spend it on the move. Any interest you make is free $$. You should get a days worth of per diem for every 8 hours of driving ( I think it's 400 mi/day).
I've been through several moves with kids so if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I'm at Sheppard now so let me know what info you want about the town and I'll try and get it for you.

Last edited by 98LS-WON; 07-21-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

The above posts pretty much say all you need to know and ifno on the military covering your move expenses.

I've never been to Sheppard, but I have been to Hickam many times. The only bad thing I can warn you about Hickam is believe it or not, the base housing is probably the worst I have ever seen in the Air Force. Being at McGuire, we have probably the 2nd worse housing, but the places at Hickam make McGuire housing look great. So, if you have a choice, I would highly reccomend living off base if Hickam is where you are heading.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

,mvjbh

Last edited by HFLDtA; 03-01-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Trunion King

I've been told that the housing have been renovated or replaced w/ new houses as far as Hickam AFB.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:27 AM
Teching In

I dont mean to be rude or anything but this is the third post youve started about moving. How about you wait until you actually get orders and then start asking questions, ive never in my AF career heard of anyone saying that they are going to get orders to 2 certain places. How did you narrow it down to 2 places, what are you basing that off of? Let us know when you get orders.

Quick Reply: I need info on moving...