Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Thinking about Navy

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about Navy

So i've thought about enlisting in the navy recently. I have been talking to a guy at work, a 20 year retired vet, and he loved his job in the navy and knows a few guys that i should talk to if i decide to go in. I just want to hear about some experiences from you guys about the best way to go in, what to do, what not to do, what you liked and didnt, etc. There are alot of reasons i want to enlist, and there are a few that hold me back. As far as jobs go, i have no idea what i want to do when i go in either.

a little about me, I'm a 21 year old single guy living with mom and stepdad, no kids, no record, working in parts sales, and i want to do something with my life. college didnt do it for me, i couldnt stay focused. i went through a tech school program and did well but thats just because it was easy.

So lets hear it from the Navy guys!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I've been in for a little over 6...aviation side working as an avionics tech. I enjoyed it for a while but I am ready for something new. If you are going into the Navy the only two things I will stress that you do is (a) don't come in undesignated or you WILL HATE LIFE! and (b) do anything you can to at least come in as an E2.

Other than that the Navy is great ****. I have been to too many countries to even remember...just some of my faves that I remember are Japan, Thailand, Singapore, Korea, Guam, Germany, Italy, and Greece. As much as I respect the other branches, you won't get the opportunity to travel in any other branch like you will in the Navy. If you enjoy travel, don't have anything tying you down like a fiancee or kids, and are willing to be the low man on the totem pole again for a short while, then you will do fine in the Navy and go far.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:14 AM
TECH Addict

what he said.been there done that 21yrs and retired since 2002.loved it to all the places he mentioned except europe.like he said dont come in undesignated at least a guaranteed A school of your choice of what you like to do.go for the 20 yrs. and a retirement check for life is yours.good luck and make the right decision.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what did you study at tech school, what kind of parts do you sell....car parts?

Tom
Old 09-28-2007, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Kinda like mentioned above, Make sure you have a rate... And I would also recomend not signing on for 5 years just to get that 1600 dollers when you get to your first command... They say they will give you 6500 or something like that. But they only give you half of it, and you get 28% taxed out of that as well. lol.

I have been in almost 8 years, I am an Engineer. Machinist, work with CNC's Conventional Mills, lathes, grinders, drill press, welding, all kinds of stuff. It is a specialty rate, that is about to be obsolete. I have spent most of my career on a ship, witch was by far the best time of my life... I have hit alot of ports as well, some good ones, and some bad ones. I think for a person to join the navy, or any joint of the military, you need to be very very flexible, and have a thick skin. But if I were you, I would not take what people have to say about the military to heart, cause everyone has there own opinion, Either they hate it, or love it. Find out for your self. Even if you don't like it, and later down the road you wanna get out after four years, you can atleast look back in your life saying, I served in the United States Navy!!! Or what other branch you choose. And be proud to say it as well....

Lane
Old 09-28-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey man, I did 6 years as a Navy Nuke Reactor Operator. Overall, it wasn't bad and I don't regret doing it. There were some ups and downs, and I don't think I could have ever made a career out of it. I decided to get out after my enlistment was up and go to college. I went to Penn State and got an Engineering degree and got about half of it paid for by uncle sam. I met alot of great people and saw alot of cool places while I was in. I was on the USS Enterprise, and also spent some time building the new Seawolf Sub. Make sure that you have a good job picked out or you will be cleaning ******** and painting for the duration of your stay.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

specwar.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive been in for about 5 years now...the signon bonus was a joke...then an extra year for aircrew...i got dropped from aircrew because of political bs...still have to serve that extra year...if you sign up, dont be afraid of going to the boat or overseas...people complain about it, but it was their choice to join the NAVY...if you dont want to see the boat, join the air force...and if you ever get the option to do time in oklahoma city ... DON'T...nothing wrong with okc...just the command...
Old 09-28-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

if your going to join the navy join the best "department" the mens department ...Marines. No seriously i went to the corps and best friend went to the navy. He got to sail around the world drink the finest wines have the best food bring back authentic **** from everywhere...so jealous. If you want to fight get no enlistment bonus whatsoever than join the Marines, i have no regrets
Old 09-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Teching In

i have 7 years in and all i can say is it is what you make of it. i like it, some guys i work with hate it, and i only work past one 2 times a week....my only advise is come in as an E-3!!!
Old 09-29-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tom's_03SVT
what did you study at tech school, what kind of parts do you sell....car parts?

Tom
1: automotive technology
2: i have sold auto at napa and now i sell big truck parts for a freightliner dealership.

any tips on what to do to go in E2 or higher? without trying to sound like i'm better than the guy next to me, i'm smart and i dont think i would be best served painting decks and cleaning. I would like to learn how to work on airplanes.. that would be bad ***, and if i decided i didnt want to keep doing it in the navy i could always come back here and go to Lockheed Martin.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

check out other branches also see who has what to offer before you go and get a signing bonus! Also pick up rank before you get there, the recruiters can point you in that direction. also think about what you would want to do while you are in. I work on H-1's in the Corps and love it wouldn't trade it for anything. Hanging out of a Huey and doing this is fun---> .
Old 09-29-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

i really like the thought of traveling, that's why i'm considering navy. and like i said, i think working on the airplanes would be badass.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Teching In

im an aircraft mechanic for the Air Force and ive been to more places then most navy guys. If thats all you want to do is work on airplanes id think about it.

Kyrzygstan, Greece, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, and a whole crap load of places in the states.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

how did you get started?
Old 09-29-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We'll go out a limb here, but if you have an automotive back ground and are interested in doing that for living, You should check out the Seabees, I'm a Construction Mechanic. We don't go on ships and we live better than most of the other services on deployment. There are two main bases for us one in Ca and the other in MS . We work heavily with all the Naval Specwar communities.

Our advancement is very good, I made Senior Chief in 13 years.

Last edited by Tom's_03SVT; 09-29-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All branches travel i am in the Corps and have been alot of places too. We deploy onto Navy ships and go everywhere they do. If aircraft and travel is what you want then i vote USAF
Old 09-29-2007, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

If I were you, I would talk to all the Branches of service, Find out for your self by talking to all of them, and then go from there.

Lane
Old 09-29-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been in right at a year now, and this has been the best decision of my life. I guess I will have a different perspective than most others, seeing as I am in the sub force. I would suggest it to anyone, though if you don't like being in school a long time, then don't do it. One year in and don't leave for my bost for another two weeks, but it has been worth it so far. I see some guys who have been on the surface, and most have said it was kinda ho-hum. But, that is just what I see.The Navy is an awesome oppurtunity for you. I can't wait to get to the fleet.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Teching In

All I have to say is think long and hard about whatever you have going for you there at home.

I enlisted in 05 and off to A school. I scored really well there, and was told that I would have the choice to pick where I wanted to go. I gave them 3 places- Ca, Fl, and lastly Japan. To make a long story short, I have been living in Atsugi, Japan for about 2 1/2 years now! Its kinda funny, anytime the Navy says you have a choice, they mean that if they dont need you to be somewhere first. In my case, they needed me in Japan, regardless of where I wanted to go!
On the downside, I have been out to sea every year since I got here. To some, it might sound great, but its on the USS Kitty Hawk! The oldest piece of rust in the sea! lol

But man, its all about experiences. Its garaunteed you will have a great time. Its impossible not to. Just listen to what people are telling you, and make sure you can really handle this life. I have seen many people come and go, because they couldnt handle it and just want to be home. I've only been home once since I have been in. Not by choice, mind you, but because our schedule is so chaotic. Im in aviaton aswell, by the way, but am going officer soon. You also have that option too!
Good luck!
Brandon

Quick Reply: Thinking about Navy