Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

pov storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question pov storage

Need some advise on storing it for 15 months? I want advise from people that have done it too!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

Simple. Enclosed storage. Doesn't need climate control. Fuel stabilizer in the gas tank. Disconnect battery. Mine started fine with no battery tender. On jackstands. Saves tires. Take wheels off the car. Keeps suspension from stretching. Stay safe.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'd say if you have a very trustworthy family relative that will let you store your car in their garage, that would be the way to go. I stored my car at my Parents' place while I was in Korea for a year. The only person who drove my car every once in awhile as well as made sure everything was fine with it was my Mom.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done both, put my car in a storage bin 2 times, and now its staying at home in my garage at my house. My gf drives it every now and then.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

depending on where you're at there are some storages that cater to the military ie will start and do routine maintenance on it for you. then before you get back they change the oil and fill the tank up if it's not filled. i used one like this when i was in Ca and was on a rapid deployment cycle. not sure if they have one in La though.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

id either put it in storage or take it to a family members place...my car is sitting down in GA right now being looked after by a close friends...when i had the car here in OK i wouldnt leave it on base when i was deployed...too many cases where someone came back and tires were cut, car was keyed, gas was drianed, or windows were broken...
Old 10-01-2007, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

I am guessing that you are in 4/10 MTN. I have a guy in Alexandria that has indoor storage. Stop by 2-4 IN in the S3 shop, or give me a call. I will PM you my contact info.
What battalion are you in?
Old 10-01-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kidreno_21
I am guessing that you are in 4/10 MTN. I have a guy in Alexandria that has indoor storage. Stop by 2-4 IN in the S3 shop, or give me a call. I will PM you my contact info.
What battalion are you in?

yea i'm down at 5/25FA. I'm in a hazmat course up to block leave, but i'll get with you when we come back.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:02 AM
Teching In

I would go with the storage unit idea. Full tank with stabilizer, on jackstands, battery REMOVED from the car (in case it starts to leak), dessicant packs in the interior and a fitted car cover on it. Also spread some mothballs around to keep the critters out. Rats do get in and will chew wire and plastic.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

you should also think about the valve springs. If the car sits for very long it either needs to be turned over about once a month, or take the valve covers off and loosen off all the rocker arms. If the valve stands open for an extended period of time, the valve spring could become weak. With stock cams it isn't quit as big of a deal, but if you have much lift it can be a real problem. noone likes valve float!
Old 10-13-2007, 04:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

hey ken mine is in storage now i washed waxed it changed the fluids put some stabil in it my dad once a month goes and starts it and drives it in the lot then covers it back up and disconnects the battery this is the second time i have to do this. are you still coming to liberty
Old 04-19-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Typically how long does it take for flat spots to appear on the tires when he car sits too long? How much have you guys spent on the indoor storage. I don't have orders yet but this is good info to know. Thanks guys...
Old 04-19-2008, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

modern tires dont flat spot. and keeping your on jack stands isnt necessary. it causes a lot of strain on the shokcs and the will usually start leaking. im sure lots of other members can attest to this. besides this thread has been done over and over. just try and search for your answer.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pwterz28
hey ken mine is in storage now i washed waxed it changed the fluids put some stabil in it my dad once a month goes and starts it and drives it in the lot then covers it back up and disconnects the battery this is the second time i have to do this. are you still coming to liberty

WOW they kept this thread open! i'm at MOTAR-MIYAH! AKA...Rustamiyah! dam Al-Sadar groups are messing with us every dam day here! Well i'm going back to Polk here in June and no one has messed with the car since it's in stroage. Any ideason how i should proceed with starting her up? I did the jackstand thing and staybil!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

just fire it up. and fill it up with some premium some fue injector cleaner wouldnt hurt either

Quick Reply: pov storage