Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Als = Done!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Als = Done!!!

FINALLY that crap is overwith lol. graduated 25OCT07. everybody told me that it was gonna be easy and aint nothin to it. yeah - wutever. i happened to get stuck with the ONE instructor who's new. we went thru EVERY section listed on the schedule, and did all the homework for each section. i talked to a few friends from the other flights and they said they hardly ever had homework. their average lunch breaks were MINIMUM 1.5hrs, as mine never went above 1hr except on 2 or 3 occasions. not to mention, our instructor just wasnt good at teaching the information we were supposed to know, and she was condenscending at times. maybe it was because she was pregnant so she went thru those mood swings? ended up missing DG coz of ONE assignment - the way she graded it was bs in my opinion. but wutever. i got the CMSAF coin from CMSAF MacKinley so i dont need the dg award lol

i get back to my shop and the other guy i went to ALS with ended up gettin a DG award so everyone's like "oh man thats awesome! thatll be a great bullet! blah blah blah!" i was like... "i got the CMSAF coin.. not many airmen can say they have that.." their response: "oh thats cool.. so airman so-so, wut all did u do to get DG?? how do u feel? can i touch u??" lol so much for being top-notch airman huh? oh well.. i know how i did in the class. not to mention, i was taking off-duty education an additional 6 hours a week, so i had homework for that and ALS and i still almost got DG.

/DG rant

anyways, feels good to get that over with. graduated ALS, averaging 5 hours of sleep a night, straight into the exercise while still goin to school lol. man that week sucked. now im back to a normal work cycle an it feels great!

anyways, just lettin out some steam an informing fellow f-body family members about my journey.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

ALS is an inconvenience, thats all.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:17 AM
Staging Lane

I had a blast in ALS. I'm married but I was "forced" to stay in the coed dorms and drink beer until 2 AM every night/morning. Nothing better than strip studying
Old 11-08-2007, 04:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

rofl wow.. "forced" to strip studying?? not gonna go there. they were talking about how the class that kicks off in january will be the first class to revert back to the whole residency concept where students will be required to stay at the dorms. they're also changing up the curriculum and apparently making the lifestyle more basic-training like. all i got to say is im thankful im outta there now.

1 JAN 08 is the date i see more money in my account!!
Old 11-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Teching In

I got DG, done graduated
Old 11-08-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't be goin till after I PCS, damnit.... :/ Want this crap out of the way...
Old 11-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Coin check that AMN at the bar and have him buy you a drink. See how handy is award is then.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

everybody acts like its such a pain and yada yada....Take some pride in becoming a NCO, hopefully you'll be a decent one.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99WS7
Take some pride in becoming a NCO, hopefully you'll be a decent one.
Amen.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99WS7
everybody acts like its such a pain and yada yada....Take some pride in becoming a NCO, hopefully you'll be a decent one.
I understand what you mean and I'm probably one of those 'actingh like its a pain'. I'm proud that I made it to be an NCO, or will be on in the next year. I'm more job oriented I guess you could say. I know, my new job is not only my job but being someones supervisor and what not. Just never been a big fan of classroom stuff, want to get out there and just do it. Have to learn it somehow though...
Old 11-09-2007, 03:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah my wife got out of that a few months back she got some john levitow award or something. She made it staff the 1st time also. (-----------in not in the miltary as you can tell LOL
Old 11-09-2007, 04:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

oh i know im one of those acting like its a pain "..and yada yada..." but after not cryin about it for 2 months - just suckin it up an dealin with it - i figured "eh...i can at least talk about wut i didnt like." i actually learned alot about wut it takes to be a supervisor. being in a maintenance career field, i realize some of those things ive learned seem just too funny to even *try* to bring in to my shop. then again, some of the ideas/concepts are creative and really opened my eyes. i know one thing that really hit me was the fact that nobody else can tell me that i have to write my troop paperwork. in my 5 years of active duty, ive been given a few pieces of paperwork where my sup. is tellin me that "this isnt comin from me" or "supervision is makin me give this to u."

all in all, im glad im out of ALS. im glad its done and over with. however, i took some valuable information out of it and made some good friends. also met my current girlfriend out of it lol.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ALS was a great time. Still talk to some of them after 10 years. Lost our Class Leader and my best Study-Buddy though in the beginning of this war...
Old 11-09-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Malicious, I know what you mean. You will "just" learn as you go. The ones above you are the ones to look ways on what to do. Trust me, Ive had staff on now a good 2 1/2 years and Im much better now then when I was just given a troop and I had to guide and teach him. I've had a good 6-7 troops from that time and I have LEARNED a **** load on what and what not to do.

Camaro guy, look, sounds like you really gave ALS a good try. I wasnt really pointing you out. I just hate hearing about people comlaining about the usual stuff we military members have to do...its just part of it. Im sure you know what I mean. I hear people complain all day all the time about this and that...I dont want to do that....waaaa. I tell thim to just get the **** out cause your holding others up that just want to get the damn job done.

I also know EXACTLY what you mean about some of the classroom **** they teach there. I too come from maint. Im a feakin crew chief (now firedawg in a week) and it doesnt get much more maint then that. There is a ton of **** they teach there that would NEVER EVER happen on the line (maint world) Its just the way it goes. Unless one has worked in this area for a good deal of time they will never understand, trust me I know.

Take what you got of it and try to make the best of it is all Im saying. Im sure you guys will make good supervisors and NCO's.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put on staff 1 dec. and I took ALS back in June and I thought it was easy. Good refresher if you will.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:58 AM
TECH Resident

Most of the **** they teach in ALS would never happen in the real world. However, the point is learning how to lead and act like a professional NCO. Most people I see go through ALS just give a bunch of lip service at the class, and go back to being a dirtbag and not standing up for their troops, which is sad.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

I've been trying to get that stupid thing done now rather than later. I hear its a lot of writing assignments and junk like that. Also heard take whatever you learned in English and throw it out the window. Gotta love mandatory things to help you "learn" to be a better supervisor.

Quick Reply: Als = Done!!!