Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Airlines Suck!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Airlines Suck!

WTF? I hope no one has had this happen to them.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/08/13...age/index.html
Old 08-13-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just claim the extra baggage in DTS when you arrive and get payed back for it. CNN has no clue........Propaganda...
Old 08-13-2008, 04:02 PM
FOG
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manalishi,

There are a couple of faults here. There is an easy mechanism to have excess baggage/weight written into the initial orders and paid for before the service member shows up for the movement. In the end it is the service members responsibility to ensure that admin, whoever contracted for the flight etc. didn’t screw them up-front that will require an orders mod and delay (months) in settling the claim. Yes it is supposed to be automatic by the way the orders request is written but…

A bigger problem with settling the claim than not having excess baggage/weight authorized on the ticket is actually having it authorized and the service member nor realizing that fact. The service member doesn’t then bring this to the attention to the check in counter person’s attention and thus pays the costs out of pocket expecting to be re-imbursed. Uncle Sam doesn’t like to pay for the same thing twice. Before they will settle the claim the government has to get their money back from the airline and account for in what ever line of accounting was used. Then the travel claim can be settled. In this case 4-6 months in CONUS is quick.

The reason excess baggage/weight is not automatic is the large number of TAD/TDY flights that it is not required.

S/F, FOG
Old 08-13-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I understand how it all works but does the new private? Does the new private have these funds laying around? When the new private gets to his destination his squad leader will (should) help him get his money back. I've been in long enough to know the deal and how to fix it but I bet there are privates that have shelled out this money and had **** poor leadership that didn't square them away. I should of clarified that to begin with.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your doing a major deployment, like more then 2 of you, they should take care of it for you, at least thats what the AF does, everything is paid for, you just have to worry about getting there and back

GTC for the win
Old 08-14-2008, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be a little more than pissed if I didn't know this was going to happen!

Quick Reply: Airlines Suck!