Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

94 Supra with 421 stroker smallblock swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHitman
Same can be said about the SBC. Also this is a public forum so let people talk their mind here. Its not like this is a private or exclusive club with nice decoder rings from cereal boxes.
While it was a weak argument, technically the LSx's are SBCs...
Old 12-21-2011, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
While it was a weak argument, technically the LSx's are SBCs...

When someone says SBC, I don't think of LSX.

Don't think I ever will
Old 12-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Same can be said about the SBC.
Uhhh the SBC was around since the 50s and even the LSX motors are technically SBCs.

LOL at the Supra people coming over here...must be slow in Supra land.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 272 Likes on 207 Posts

Same can be said about the SBC. Also this is a public forum so let people talk their mind here. Its not like this is a private or exclusive club with nice decoder rings from cereal boxes.
Mine came in a cracker jack box.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:58 PM

Please use to learn multi-quote.

why? whats the point? too hard to read?

What have you seen? That is typical (if not higher than normal) weight.
Not sure how it works in your world, but in our SBC world aftermarket stuff is usually lighter than factory, so a "built motor" is often lighter than stock...

Mass

The main reason to use a cast piston is its efficient mass. It is lightweight and heat flows predictably throughout its construction. Due to its high silicon content it is easily molded and each part of the piston can be shaped to a specific thickness. The forged piston is heavier than a cast piston and its alloy is not as malleable. A forged piston is not very stable dimensionally and the rate at which it expands is not easily controlled. Even if a forged piston is modified to be similar to a cast piston, it will still retain more mass than a cast piston and thus use its mass less efficiently.

Read more: Forged Pistons Vs. Cast | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5325625_fo...#ixzz1hDiNVhQi
internet or anything could help you understand some stuff.

Actually everything to do with the 2JZ, that is an engine swap forum, the 2JZ is a relatively common swap (or at least pondered on and then dropped for a lighter/smaller/cheaper/simpler LSx )

wow, amazing considering the lsx has been swapped into everything including powerwheels lol. maybe because its so widely produced and cheap to buy and every redneck under the sun has shoved it into everything with at least 1 wheel on it. you are right, it's obviously a quality place to learn about something that didn't come in any of the cars they are transplanting it into.. correct, wow?

LMAO...
I think you are confusing "advanced" with factory over built, and simple (yet ridiculously easy to get power out of) with "shitty".
We all know the 2JZ can take a ton of peak power with stock internals (yippie!) but what does that really matter? You have to mod everything else, you still have to spend big money, so who cares?
And GM never set out to create an "advanced" engine when making the SBC, its beauty is in its simplicity (and low mass and weight with an aluminum block). You can buy off the shelf stuff from summit, install it in your garage yourself and make stupid power on 87 pump gas.
Im not saying either is better, they are very different engines, but to call the SBC shitty is plain dumb.

how "advanced" do you want to get? typically a more advanced engine is one that makes power more efficiently. in fact, without even talking about horsepower per liter, the 2j even gets a hell of a lot better gas mileage too compared to that old 70s v8..... btw. big money on what? you can spend 5k and make more than that piece of **** in this supra does, i know you guys don't really know much about other engines except for the LSX platform, but everyone tries this argument when they see people talking about spending 100k on a supra and see something like 800 hp and think that "wow, you have to spend a lot on it to make power!" what don't you understand about intake,exhaust, boost controller, intercooler, hell you dont even need a turbo kit, you can do it the cheap way and throw a 50 shot on it for 200 bucks and make that power just as easy.

fyi, i was calling the SBC from the 70s COMPARED to using the stock 2j in THAT CAR, shitty. don't confuse my argument

Even if it makes as much power (with a better powerband) and comes in around the same weight, Id say thats not too bad for an "old motor"

no, its not bad for an old motor, but it makes no sense to claim that it is just as good when its obviously not even you guys see it and more than enough members here know that the 2j is a far better option for what the OP was going for (he probably just didn't know anything about building something with less than 8 cylinders, its ok)

Did you really just... hp/l really?....
You can buy a cheap RC car today that makes more HP/L than a 2JZ, does that mean the RC engine is more advanced, and the 2JZ is **** in comparison? HP/L is ricer math at its finest, peak HP not being useful in many cases (power under the curve is what matters) and displacement shows nothing, its weight and size that matter.
Out of two engines that both make the same power, would you rather have a heavier one with less displacement, or a lighter one with more displacement? One makes more hp/l, the other make more hp/weight.

fyi, the hp per liter comes with a grand total of more hp as well. not just an rc car... congrats, you can say a motorcycle engine would be far superior too for hp/liter... you have no comprehension ability, just the ability to spout of **** you have heard before right?

Its not about who did what "right", its about a compact, reliable engine that can make gobs of power and torque very easily. This is not to say the 2JZ can't, so don't give yourself an ulcer just yet.
Hopefully you don't happen to stumble upon all the other SBC/LSx swapped Supras on the interwebs, you'll surely have a heart attack...

definately have a heart attack... maybe i just had one when i saw the price, the "cost of the build" and the owners pride about how great of an improvement he made over the stock engine and trans... which were better in the first place. good reason why you don't see a mkiii supra engine in a mkiv supra..

what multiquote?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Teching In

LOL @ talking about gas mileage. Get ******* real.

This motor is a ysi vortech or a bottle away from 1000 HP.

EDIT: on pump gas, no race gas bullshit
Old 12-21-2011, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

You selling it?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Its not about who did what "right", its about a compact, reliable engine that can make gobs of power and torque very easily. This is not to say the 2JZ can't, so don't give yourself an ulcer just yet.
Hopefully you don't happen to stumble upon all the other SBC/LSx swapped Supras on the interwebs, you'll surely have a heart attack...
Its not like there are many LSx swapped MKIV's in the world. You could realistically count them on both hands.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KS-LS1
Uhhh the SBC was around since the 50s and even the LSX motors are technically SBCs.

LOL at the Supra people coming over here...must be slow in Supra land.
Dude look at my join date and posts kiddo. It's not like I just got here. And you are correct LS motors are technically SBCs, the context I was referring to were the old School, carburated SBCs.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kracin
why? whats the point? too hard to read?
More of a pain to copy/paste rather then just hit "quote" to capture all of your babbling nonsense all at once, this isn't rocket science.

internet or anything could help you understand some stuff.
Seems like you need to do some digging yourself:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/3019859-post5.html

wow, amazing considering the lsx has been swapped into everything including powerwheels lol. maybe because its so widely produced and cheap to buy and every redneck under the sun has shoved it into everything with at least 1 wheel on it. you are right, it's obviously a quality place to learn about something that didn't come in any of the cars they are transplanting it into.. correct, wow?
All their 2JZ info is copied directly from Supra forums, or first hand experience with the engine (like having it on a scale).

how "advanced" do you want to get? typically a more advanced engine is one that makes power more efficiently. in fact, without even talking about horsepower per liter, the 2j even gets a hell of a lot better gas mileage too compared to that old 70s v8.....
You can't be serious...
Compare the two engines a car with the same weight and gearing and you will see damn near the same gas mileage. A lowly 93 LT1 6 speed Corvette (OMG SBC based old tachnologeeee) gets better gas mileage than a 6 speed 93 TT Supra. Does this mean the engine is more efficient, or the gearing is better for gas mileage?

btw. big money on what? you can spend 5k and make more than that piece of **** in this supra does, i know you guys don't really know much about other engines except for the LSX platform
Pot meet kettle...
, but everyone tries this argument when they see people talking about spending 100k on a supra and see something like 800 hp(and them running 12s) and think that "wow, you have to spend a lot on it to make power!" what don't you understand about intake,exhaust, boost controller, intercooler, hell you dont even need a turbo kit, you can do it the cheap way and throw a 50 shot on it for 200 bucks and make that power just as easy.
So bolt ons and a 50 shot get you 800hp huh?

no, its not bad for an old motor, but it makes no sense to claim that it is just as good when its obviously not even you guys see it and more than enough members here know that the 2j is a far better option for what the OP was going for (he probably just didn't know anything about building something with less than 8 cylinders, its ok)
Just as good engine? Yes, if not better. Just as "good" for that car, arguably no, because of added complexity of putting the engine in and getting everything to work properly.
How do you know what the OP was going for? How do you know that he didn't get tired of the turbo lag, or exhaust note, or lack of torque compared to a bigger displaced V8?
Not saying that I would have done the swap either, but I wouldn't buy a Supra either. (although if I did Id be SO tempted to put an LSx in it just to see the Supra fanboys like yourself rage out).

fyi, the hp per liter comes with a grand total of more hp as well. not just an rc car...
Not if comparing two different engines like you were doing, saying one is "better" because it has more hp/l.
congrats, you can say a motorcycle engine would be far superior too for hp/liter... you have no comprehension ability, just the ability to spout of **** you have heard before right?
So you have no argument for hp/l then huh? Just some ricer math to try and make the 2JZ look better?

definately have a heart attack... maybe i just had one when i saw the price, the "cost of the build" and the owners pride about how great of an improvement he made over the stock engine and trans... which were better in the first place. good reason why you don't see a mkiii supra engine in a mkiv supra..
care to post the thread?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

More of a pain to copy/paste rather then just hit "quote" to capture all of your babbling nonsense all at once, this isn't rocket science.

Seems like you need to do some digging yourself:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/3019859-post5.html

All their 2JZ info is copied directly from Supra forums, or first hand experience with the engine (like having it on a scale).

You can't be serious...
Compare the two engines a car with the same weight and gearing and you will see damn near the same gas mileage. A lowly 93 LT1 6 speed Corvette (OMG SBC based old tachnologeeee) gets better gas mileage than a 6 speed 93 TT Supra. Does this mean the engine is more efficient, or the gearing is better for gas mileage?
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/28973.shtml

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/9637.shtml

http://www.carsdirect.com/1993/toyota/supra/specs

LOL 1 mpg on the highway, really? And even the sticker on the MKIVs read 24 highway. Thats what the sticker on my Supra had when I purchased it from the last owner

But on an honest note, OP is going to have a really hard time selling it without parting it out, because:

A) Its a salvage title
b) Its a swap (swaps in general are hard sales, even generally approved ones like LS1 RX7's)
c) And there are very few fans of the combination of parts ( its easy to find fans of the old school SBC and fans of the supra but not many fans of the overall combination that would buy)

Also dude your comment on 800hp Supras running 12's is so 90's. Welcome to 2011.

Last edited by TheHitman; 12-21-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and going by a whole bunch of info i've seen, SBC weigh in at 575 to start. add in forged internals and whatnot and you get my point.
That's an all iron longblock. Iron block, heads, intake, water pump. Aluminum heads, intake, and water pump will drop 80lbs.

Same can be said about the SBC. .
What? GM has produced over 100 million small blocks. 100 million!! They're still in production over 65 years later!!!!!!!!!

why isn't the sbc found in production cars anymore? heres food for though, for the length of time that the sbc of this exact style was found in cars, you'd think they could have improved on it, but no, it stuck around for so long with no changes.
The SBC has been continually updated since it's introduction in 1955. You obviously have no clue what the **** you're talking about. GM hasn't put this "exact style" as you call it in a car for a long time. Yet they still sell more of this "exact style" engine per year than Toyota sold Supras period.

The 2JZ is a one trick pony - you can put a big turbo on it and make big power, and that's it. You can almost DOUBLE the displacement of a SBC. You can build a SBC from a 100hp to over 3000hp. It works naturally aspirated, or with nitrous, or supercharged, or turbocharged, or any combination of those. It's the most versatile and ubitquitous engine the world has ever seen, and probably ever will. Can the 2JZ make over 1000hp naturally aspirated? Can it make over 3000hp in any form? Can it turn over 12500rpm? The SBC accomplished all of that LONG before your precious little engine did.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
What? GM has produced over 100 million small blocks. 100 million!! They're still in production over 65 years later!!!!!!!!!
See my comment above. I was referring to the old 350 small block that the motor in said supra is based from.

The SBC has been continually updated since it's introduction in 1955. You obviously have no clue what the **** you're talking about. GM hasn't put this "exact style" as you call it in a car for a long time. Yet they still sell more of this "exact style" engine per year than Toyota sold Supras period.

The 2JZ is a one trick pony - you can put a big turbo on it and make big power, and that's it. You can almost DOUBLE the displacement of a SBC. You can build a SBC from a 100hp to over 3000hp. It works naturally aspirated, or with nitrous, or supercharged, or turbocharged, or any combination of those. It's the most versatile and ubitquitous engine the world has ever seen, and probably ever will. Can the 2JZ make over 1000hp naturally aspirated? Can it make over 3000hp in any form? Can it turn over 12500rpm? The SBC accomplished all of that LONG before your precious little engine did.
I can't say yes for the 1st 2 of the questions you asked but the 3rd for sure is a yes as the the Current 2JZ 10.5 car I believe turned to 13Krpms. Also one thing to note is you are comparing the entire Small block chevy family (Carburated, Fuel injected, old school SBC, LT, LS series motors) to only a single motor that is also part of a group of motors. We aren't comparing the 2JZ to the entire small block family here, we are only comparing it to the old 350's which is what the said car is.

Comparing to such a broad range anyway is stupid at best.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

QQ.....popcorn anyone?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

we are only comparing it to the old 350's which is what the said car is.
It's an aftermarket block 421 small block. What does a 350 have to do with anything? The SBC was the conversation piece here, not an "old 350" Go ahead and narrow you're argument down. I know the SBC legacy is too big for most Supra guys to grasp.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

It's an aftermarket block 421 small block. What does a 350 have to do with anything? The SBC was the conversation piece here, not an "old 350" Go ahead and narrow you're argument down. I know the SBC legacy is too big for most Supra guys to grasp.
And the 421 aftermarket block in his car is based off of what? You guessed it, an old school, carbed 350 small block Chevy. Yeah small blocks are great and all and no the entire SBC isn't the conversation piece here. If this was an LSx in the car (like an LS3 or LS7) I wouldn't have much problem with it but a carbed small block? come on. Its not my car, but I think a Supra could have been done better justice than that.

Also I visit tech frequently to educate myself about Small blocks including the one I own.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

Originally Posted by RagnZ
QQ.....popcorn anyone?

Kettle Corn please.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

And the 421 aftermarket block in his car is based off of what? You guessed it, an old school, carbed 350 small block Chevy.
No, it's a SBC, not a 350. A 350 is a small block, but a small block isn't necessarily a 350. Stop using the 350 term to describe the SBC! Furthermore, a 421 is based upon a 400. That carbed 421 would put most LSx stuff to shame. Carbureted SBCs have done alot more than the LSx probably ever will. You guys need to understand that 421 isn't a low compression smogger from the 70s.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

No, it's a SBC, not a 350. A 350 is a small block, but a small block isn't necessarily a 350. Stop using the 350 term to describe the SBC! Furthermore, a 421 is based upon a 400. That carbed 421 would put most LSx stuff to shame. Carbureted SBCs have done alot more than the LSx probably ever will. You guys need to understand that 421 isn't a low compression smogger from the 70s.
Once the LSx takes over NASCAR I highly doubt that. Give it 10 years. As for the rest of your comment, you are right there is a bit I and a couple others need to learn here.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Once the LSx takes over NASCAR I highly doubt that.
I don't think they will ever adopt the LS platform. They're just now getting into fuel injection. Hell, they don't even use SBCs anymore. The R07 is superior the LS stuff anyway.

Quick Reply: 94 Supra with 421 stroker smallblock swap