Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

Anyone hear of Ls1drifter aka Barry Ramirez?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone hear of Ls1drifter aka Barry Ramirez?

So I got what seems to be a cookie cutter scam ; but before I jump ship I wanted to double check. He joined this month with zero posts and although I was born at night, it wasnt last night. I posted in the. WTB section looking for some forged wheels, he pm's me and says to email him. The. COMes back with having a nice set of Ccw classics for 2400 shipped. But wants me to wire money to him. Obviously shady, but has anyone else had pm's from him with exactly what you're looking for ?

Old 05-28-2014, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

just got this email from him, after I addressed my concerns.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

oh, his email address is Barry Ramirez <barryramz7581@gmail.com>;
Old 05-28-2014, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Just an FYI, After googling his email address, he's a scammer. Buyer beware, and mods please ban this piece of ****.

http://106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/...d.php?p=843749
Old 05-29-2014, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

Glad you caught on before anything happened.
For future reference to you as well as others who read, anytime a person wants to communicate via email only or text and not on the note system here is your first immediate red flag.

They want to keep information "off" of admins ability to see. This allows them to try and scam several people at once quickly and play the innocent card if someone runs to an admin. The admin has no notes that they can review to quickly find that this person is a scammer and is doing this to several people.

Secondly the paypal thing. Paypal accounts do not go "dormant". There is no such thing and as soon as someone gives an excuse of why there paypal doesn't work that's the biggest red flag ever.

He then attempted to calm your fears by saying money gram is totally secure, because he has to provide id and a utility bill before getting the money. This is true. It's true that I can have a fake id made (in china and shipped here) for 20 dollars that is 98% passable for a legitimate drivers license (down to the magnetic card swipe information appearing valid also) and have it in my possession in 5 days if I rush mail. And anyone with a computer, a printer, some heavy cardstock sold at any department store eltronic, and some free time, can print up a very official looking ultility bill with any name and address they want to match their fake id.

Congrats, they can now get that money gram and "tracing" them is very problematic.

All these things are red flags but the biggest is the email he sent.
The way it is worded is decided to lure you into a false sense of security. His use of "I am a man of 65 yrs. I am a god fearing man, I am retired." all these statements are designed to make you feel comfortable. Like your talking to your grandpa. He's just an old man, he's probably a nice guy and doesn't know technology so his paypals bad.

Far to many people fall for these types of things.
Hard rule is Paypal only, always send as payment never as a gift, and that's just the cost of doing business.

Again, good job catching on before you sent money. It's just sad people stoop so low as to scam like this. Truly sad.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I was skeptical from the get go. I even told him that paypal accounts dont go dormant! LOL watch out everyone. Hopefully this tool got banned.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

One other thing when using Paypal always pay with a credit card, not a debit card, and as said earlier never send as a gift, unless you know the person and are 150% sure they are legit. Paying with a credit card protects you even more as even paypal isn't always foolproof. I sold a iPhone on eBay under the category "for parts only, not working" as it went through the spin cycle in the washing machine and paypal still refunded the buyer their money after he had tracking info he had sent it back to me, guess what he sent me a rock in the box, and I fought with Paypal and they told me to go to the local police and tell them that the buyer sent me a rock instead of my phone back. So the guy got his money back and kept the phone, I got a nice rock. So paypal sucks sometimes and so do the scammers.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lizeec
One other thing when using Paypal always pay with a credit card, not a debit card, and as said earlier never send as a gift, unless you know the person and are 150% sure they are legit. Paying with a credit card protects you even more as even paypal isn't always foolproof. I sold a iPhone on eBay under the category "for parts only, not working" as it went through the spin cycle in the washing machine and paypal still refunded the buyer their money after he had tracking info he had sent it back to me, guess what he sent me a rock in the box, and I fought with Paypal and they told me to go to the local police and tell them that the buyer sent me a rock instead of my phone back. So the guy got his money back and kept the phone, I got a nice rock. So paypal sucks sometimes and so do the scammers.
I never refund anymore until I get the actual item back. too much risk of something like that happening.

Pretty much 50% of people in the WTB threads are scammers in my experience. Got to be careful
Old 06-02-2014, 05:24 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Banned.

Seriously... I doubt a 65yr old man knows what drifting even is...
Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Lmao good job whigham!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Banned.

Seriously... I doubt a 65yr old man knows what drifting even is...
Wait a minute.......I'm 62 and i know....my mind drifts continuously.......

sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Teching In

I think the same guy messaged me today. Except his screen name is BenTT. His email was something ramirez @gmail.com
Old 06-05-2014, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

String him along for whatever it is that hes offering to "sell" you, and maybe the mods can find a way to ban his IP.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:05 AM
Teching In

He never replied with more info.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Teching In

He replied just now. I'm on my cell phone. What will the mods need?

Anyone hear of Ls1drifter aka Barry Ramirez?-forumrunner_20140606_075830.jpg
Old 06-06-2014, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

They will need his screen name, they can ban his IP but that won't necessarily stop him.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Wow. ******* verbatim to what he said to me. Mods ban this POS ip.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

Sign his email address up to a bunch of **** sites and scam sites **** that guy. Should be like the old days where you can get hung for stealing from people thieves are literally the scum of the earth.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That wheel picture belongs to a guy named James from Orlando.

Quick Reply: Anyone hear of Ls1drifter aka Barry Ramirez?