New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Mod Lid...Cold Air Package too?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1st Mod Lid...Cold Air Package too?

Well as I have said before I am new to this Chevy LS1 stuff so I seem to ask a lot of basic questions...so here is another one.

I have read numerous threads on here and almost everyone agrees a "Lid" should be the first mod. My question is should you also get the Cold Air Package which attaches below the lid? or is this a waste? Remember the car is stock and will be built slowly over time. I plan on finishing the intake upgrades first. Exhaust will be next before moving to the internals of the engine. Of course all of this is after new carpet, headliner, and paint.

Thanks for any info.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya the ram air is worth it. I did the same for my first mod.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Cold Air Systems for our cars are not a waste. They give some good gains and are worth every penny, go with the Fast Toys Ram Air system or Super Sucker. SLP sells one that is decent, but the previous two are most popular. If you want to know what type of horse power gains you'll get or how much you'll shave off the quarter do a search
Old 12-04-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

It can't hurt with the ram air lid.
I would look into a new intake as well as a tune after the ram air lid and you should be quite pleased.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I have been looking at the LS6's on ebay and will probably go that route. I also looked at the two ram air kits TheBlueKnight mentioned. The super sucker looks like it might be the best with it pulling air from the nose of the car and not at the radiator...of course it is the most expensive.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

Dont get the SSRA. Mine broke within 6 months and never seemed like a quality product to me. Get the FTRA, it is metal and wont hit on big driveways.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...sults-tom.html

I was wondering the same about a month ago. This thread answered my question.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say its worth it. I have the slp flowpac setup on mine.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:26 AM
TECH Resident

+1, FTRA here, I like it, driven through 4" of water no problems.
Look into the port and polish the throttle body too. (The bump stop can't hurt either IMHO)
Old 12-09-2008, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
Dont get the SSRA. Mine broke within 6 months and never seemed like a quality product to me. Get the FTRA, it is metal and wont hit on big driveways.
is your car lowered and/or you climbing curbs like a grandma? i've had mine on for over 7 years, 70k miles and round trip cross country (DC to CA) and back doing up to 135 mph and went through strong thunderstorms in WY w/o any problems so far. maybe a little small piece at the edge broke off and some scrapes, but that's it.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

No my car isnt lowered. You will notice those little scrapes will eventually break apart the welded edge. I had to take mine off and put tape all the way around it to hold it together. At first it was just a little tiny crack, but after a few miles the air had pulled it nearly all the way apart. When I recieved this new you could tell where the 2 pieces came together there was a big gap and it would bow in the middle which would let air escape. The FTRA doesnt have that. I dont know where your from but around here there are a ton of steep driveways and if you forget to accomidate for the SSRA you will eventually break it. It might be worth it if it was cheaper but for the price FTRA all the way. Also, I now have screw holes in my bumper that you cant see but still kinda sucks.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
No my car isnt lowered. You will notice those little scrapes will eventually break apart the welded edge. I had to take mine off and put tape all the way around it to hold it together. At first it was just a little tiny crack, but after a few miles the air had pulled it nearly all the way apart. When I recieved this new you could tell where the 2 pieces came together there was a big gap and it would bow in the middle which would let air escape. The FTRA doesnt have that. I dont know where your from but around here there are a ton of steep driveways and if you forget to accomidate for the SSRA you will eventually break it. It might be worth it if it was cheaper but for the price FTRA all the way. Also, I now have screw holes in my bumper that you cant see but still kinda sucks.
How long ago did you buy it? If the welds are on the inside and it's made of ABS, that was an old version. For the last few years now they are made of Polypropoplene plastic with the welds on the outside. With the old ones, the welds weren't continuous. Now that I weld them on the outside I can run a continuous plastic bead around each seam. I could jump up and down on it now and it wouldn't break. Here's a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails 1st Mod Lid...Cold Air Package too?-dsc00024.jpg   1st Mod Lid...Cold Air Package too?-dsc00019.jpg   1st Mod Lid...Cold Air Package too?-dsc00023.jpg  
Old 12-15-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

SSRA here

sofar its been a great piece.

i broke it once pulling too far over a VERY high curb...it even scrapped the nose

it easily clears every parking block i've encountered and never hit a driveway or speed bump.

driven in blinding hurricane rain (south florida) and i stopped under a bridge, pulled the lid and found NO WATER.

i wouldn't think twice about driving through 4" of water...i wouldn't want to go FAST...but i wouldn't want to do that STOCK

both FTRA and SSRA are quality and show great results.

i like the SSRA since its a CAI at slower speeds and a true RA at higher
Old 12-16-2008, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss1le02
How long ago did you buy it? If the welds are on the inside and it's made of ABS, that was an old version. For the last few years now they are made of Polypropoplene plastic with the welds on the outside. With the old ones, the welds weren't continuous. Now that I weld them on the outside I can run a continuous plastic bead around each seam. I could jump up and down on it now and it wouldn't break. Here's a few pictures.
Mine didnt quite look like that one. I guess I had the old one. It def looks stronger than before.