New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting your own TB/ easy or hard???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porting your own TB/ easy or hard???

I know they sell them at MTI for a $100 dollars but My cousin and I want to port our own....question is...what do you need as far as tools and where can I get a write up on doing this task???...FWIW: I ported my own MAF so would it be any similarity?....
Old 09-29-2003, 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

Default Re: Porting your own TB/ easy or hard???

use a dremel tool. I would really port all that much, just clean up the rough spots. Definitely polish the inside though, that'll help improve airflow.

Old 09-29-2003, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

It will be a lot easier if you use a die grinder vs a dremel. I used one alluminium cutting burr (very briefly), the a bunch of coarse grit cartidge rolls, a couple of fine grit rolls, the some buffing/polishing wheels to make it shiney. just go slow, cause you can always take out a little more, but its a bitch to put a little back.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Felton knows what he is talking about. I did mine and a buddys a week or so ago. It really isnt hard at all, just time consuming. we used a dremel but I would recomend startting with the cutting burr like felton said and then finish it off with the dremel. What you want to do is take out the ridge infront of the blade and make a smooth transistion to the edge of the TB, give it a knife edge. what we didnt do was epoxy the holes to make a smooth contour all around the Tb. But im planning on doing this as soon as I get a chance.

P.S. there are a few pics of the process on my web page in sig. ,justin