Sponsored by:

v6 'maro for now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v6 'maro for now?

does this sound wise?

since i'll remain finacially challeneged for a while, and i mean a WHILE, how about v6-ing it for that time..

besides engine, rear end and transmission, what else is necesseray and PIA for the swap?

i figure to swap an already forged stroked/bored ls1, and rear end would have gone anyways, even on the v8 so..

i seen 98+ 6 cyls in the mid single figures of 6k and 7k, and frankly the v8s rank at at least double that.

so if i was gonna forge the block anyways, and things like tires were going to bechanged anyways, how about slowly building a semi-bullet proof ls1 slowly to match my "slow" current financial situation?

there.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: v6 'maro for now?

Not a bad idea. I have a 1996 v6 daily driver w/94k miles and down the road I may drop in an LS1.
If you're gonna build a fairly serious motor you would have to replace/build up the same components on an LS1 car anyways.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not sure I follow you. Are you talking about just getting a V6 and being happy with that until your financial situation gets better?

Or are you talking about buying a V6 and then swapping the engine to a V8 LS1?

The V6 is a fine car. I owned four of them including my last vehicle a 1999 silver camaro V6. The 3.8L V6 engine is no LS1 but it's very respectable for what it is. I still felt very cool with the tops off and the sterio cranked. It's still a F-body and can run the 1/4 mile in the 15's which really isn't all that bad. I would recommend getting a V6 and keeping it until you can trade it in on a LS1.

Swapping engines, tranny, rear end, computer, guages (if you want the speedometer to read 155 instead of 125), ect would be way more time and $$$ then it's worth. It would be cheaper to but a 98 LS1 with 75k miles on it for 11k then it would to buy a V6 and try to upgrade it to a V8 ls1. The only thing that really saves you $$$ wise is car insurance. But you can get in BIG trouble if the insurance company ever finds out you were getting V6 rates with a V8 engine.

If I were you I would either get the V6 and lightly mod it with catback, lid and CAI or get a used LT1 and drive that until the LS1 prices come down and your financial situation gets better.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 10-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Launching!

yeah, make sure the ins. company doesnt catch you. i have a modded 81 chevy truck. its a "desiel" with one of them 330hp ho gm crate engines. all in all, id just stick with the v6. im sure you will start makin some more $$$ down the line, so you can get yourself a z28 someday.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:29 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure I follow you. Are you talking about just getting a V6 and being happy with that until your financial situation gets better?

Or are you talking about buying a V6 and then swapping the engine to a V8 LS1?

The V6 is a fine car. I owned four of them including my last vehicle a 1999 silver camaro V6. The 3.8L V6 engine is no LS1 but it's very respectable for what it is. I still felt very cool with the tops off and the sterio cranked. It's still a F-body and can run the 1/4 mile in the 15's which really isn't all that bad. I would recommend getting a V6 and keeping it until you can trade it in on a LS1.

Swapping engines, tranny, rear end, computer, guages (if you want the speedometer to read 155 instead of 125), ect would be way more time and $$$ then it's worth. It would be cheaper to but a 98 LS1 with 75k miles on it for 11k then it would to buy a V6 and try to upgrade it to a V8 ls1. The only thing that really saves you $$$ wise is car insurance. But you can get in BIG trouble if the insurance company ever finds out you were getting V6 rates with a V8 engine.

If I were you I would either get the V6 and lightly mod it with catback, lid and CAI or get a used LT1 and drive that until the LS1 prices come down and your financial situation gets better.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

the project is more trouble then its worth.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok but say i did buy a z28, i would still be interested on a ARE package maybe more cubic inches, so i would still have to get a new engine. regardless, yes i do want the ls1, and that's the understatement of the year.

Also this car wouldn't need to be a daily driver, my wife has a beater GEO (the shame) that i can beat on against daily traffic, so the car being in pieces for a few months might not be such a hassle.

but then there's those hidden 'fees' that most likely will pop up, so thanks for the info.

Old 10-06-2003, 10:46 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you got the z28 at least i'd be on a better plateform. im assuing the frame on the v8 is more sturdy then the v6 and the suspension geometries are different. so in essence you'd be doing more then just an "engine and tranny" swap.

what kinda project are you looking to build. a nice H/C/I package on stock cubes and make some huge power without having to go for a stoker kit. it'd be nice though
Old 10-07-2003, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you got the z28 at least i'd be on a better plateform. im assuing the frame on the v8 is more sturdy then the v6 and the suspension geometries are different. so in essence you'd be doing more then just an "engine and tranny" swap.
Auctally the body and frame are the same. Only the cradle it different; which comes with the motor most the time from a salvage yard. The contlol arms from the v6 are also the same and braking system. Buy a v6 for $6000, dont do anything to it but drive it. Maybe upgrade shocks and springs. THen buy a 2001-02 ls1 from a wrecked car complete with trans, accesories, and harness for $4000(with money you saved from insurance). Expect the car to be down for about two months for the swap unless everything goes perfect or you pay to get it done. You will learn alot about your car and have a low milage ls1 for $10,000. Just my $.02.

I started my swap about two months ago and looks like about 2 weeks before i get it running. I can only work on it for 8 hours a week. Longest part is waiting for parts to come in that you dont have or broke.

Good luck.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Save your money and buy a V8.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pick up an LT1 car instead, they cost about the same as the 98 V6s do anyways, and will run high 13s in stock trim.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea my vote is for an LT1. LT1s arent shabby at all and you will still have something to bust tha GT's asses. Just get the LT1 get catback, intake(dont think its a lid), converter if its an A4 then you would be set.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Get an LT1. I use a v6 for my daily driver, and it works out great (its a flashy vert), it gets a lot more looks from the girls than my z28 does, but if your gonna have just 1 car, why not go for the LT1? Heck, they aren't THAT bad...

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

btw, LT1s don't have a lid, it is an intake.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

..any one know how practical lt-1 to ls conversions are? lol

how about getting an lt-1 6 cyl, then dropping nice 6.3 liter bored engine ni there when i'm ready?

Old 10-09-2003, 02:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

there's no such thing as an LT1 6cyl... an LT1 is GM's 93-97 4th gen V8 motor (yes, i know, there was one before that too)... a 93-95 v6 used an L32 3.4 Liter and a 96+ used a L38 3.8 Liter (or was it L34? or L36? i don't remember)
Old 10-09-2003, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey i would get an operation GIVING me a small weiner for that new Porsche GT..lol

i meant "lt-1 bodied", anyone heard of putting a ls1 front-end in these?