New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More 'general' questions from the newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More 'general' questions from the newbie.

I am currently perusing the LS1 engines on E-Bay. Is this a good place to look for them? Any reputable sellers that you can recommend? Also, I have a few technical questions.

1.) What year is the ideal LS1 to buy? I have heard that the 01-02 motors don't use an EGR box...what the heck is that??!! Is there an advantage to not having one?

2.) I've looked at the specs for this motor and saw that the camshaft was in the 500's in regards to lift. I look at this and I think, "Holy crap...that's huge for a factory engine". But then I'm reminded that these engines are different then the traditional Small Block Chevy's. Do these engines have a lopey exhaust note when you open up the exhaust system? Can you go bigger on the cam?

3.) How durable are these engines? I've seen some advertised on E-bay that have had rod knocks. Are the aluminum blocks easily damaged when this happens?

This feels like the beginning of a very long journey

By the way...I am also 'infamous' on Camaros.net and go by the username 'trapin' on Pro-Touring.com. This board is pretty sweet, I'll be hangin around here a lot more often.

Thanks again
Tony

www.infamouscamaro.com
Old 10-07-2003, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: More 'general' questions from the newbie.

1 try to get a 01 or above, they have better intakes.
2 not at all, its on a 118.5 LSA or something super high like that, so it doesnt lope at all.
3 they are fairly durable, sounds like you want a rowdy car, get some forged internals. or maybe a iron block. ir even a Darton sleeved block
Dont get me wrong, H/C guys are getting close to 440 to the ground and have a stock bottom end. Just depends on what you want out of the motor. is it going to be a 6-speed or an auto??
Like Nineball said in your other post, there is a hybrid section that once you get your project going will greatly help you out
Old 10-07-2003, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: More 'general' questions from the newbie.

If you can find a late '01 or an '02 you basically get an LS6 with LS1 internals. My '02 has the LS6 block and I have the block out of an '01 Z28 that is also an LS6. In your case this might not matter, but you definatly want a non EGR car. For us F-Body owners it is a difference of a few ponies right off the bat. I have had lots of transactions on eBay, without a problem yet. eBay also does a fairly decent job of patrolling the high dollar items. If he has good feedback - you should be all set. I know that I've got the APB out on any LS1's that come into our local scrap yards and I haven't seen one yet that was worth keeping - (all front end totals).