Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys think

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys think

Instead of getting a 2000 TA WS6 I decided this winter me and a friend of mine would restore a first gen. camaro. I was thinking about replacing the engine, trans, and the rear. Here is what I want to put in it. LS1 and a t56 transmission, and a moser 12 bolt rear. I know that It is alot of work, but I want to do it. How do you think this setup would perform compared to a new LS1 camaro, andhas anyone seen it before. I also looked at the prices of everything, and I think I could buy the car, restore it, and replace those things for about 15,000, does that sound about right, please give me your thoughts on this.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: What do you guys think

Do a search about it, it has been done more than once by people on this board, sorry I don't remember who though.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speed INC has a LS1 in a first gen.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive seen a few 1sr gens with LS1s along with a couple chevelles...theyre real head turners if u do decide to do it just be prepared for it to be a pretty long process....good luck man
Old 10-13-2003, 06:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

The price you are expecting ($15K)... That really depends on how far you want to take the LS1 motor you're going to use (internals, heads, etc.) and what you plan to do about an engine management system, and most importantly, what is your personal definition of the word 'restore'?

There are 100 point show car restorations, and there are restorations that consist of just a re-paint with maybe a new door and some new seats...BIG price difference.

Also, if you want just a base 1st gen Camaro that matters too. Obviously an original SS or Z28 will cost way more that a base Camaro would.

Basically, if it were my project, I'd plan on $30K as a more realistic price tag, but of course that's because I'd want the car to be perfect, and making at least 450rwhp. Also, I'd say $30K if I was going to start with a BASE Camaro that had a solid body and such. If you're talking an original SS or something, and it needing a FULL restoration, I'd say more like $60K for my standards.

Depending on what you want to do, price will vary A LOT.

A cool project none the less...
Old 10-13-2003, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not going to fully restore it. I just want to have good paint, a clean interior, and maby a few things here and there. as far as the engine all im going to do to it at first is just a cam. maby th G5X2 and headers. for engine managment i was going to just use a stock computer, and have the wiring harness modified. And as more money comes in I do more to the car, but for now I just want it to run, and look good, and be clean. I won't get a reall ss i will probably get the badges, and the other stuff to make it look lika a Ss.