New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought I had it sussed, now I'm not so sure...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 06:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought I had it sussed, now I'm not so sure...

Hi,

I've done quiet a bit of research, and thought I understood what I had learned. But after speaking with a few car guys, they seemed to contradict what I thought I knew.

I have deleated my AIR system. I thought this just warmed up the cats on start up.
They said it also dilutes the exhaust gases, to help the smog test. My test is performed once the cats have warmed up. So I may fail my smog due to the gases being less diluted.
1. Is that right?

Roller rockers are pointless if I'm planning on replacing my camshaft, as I can get a bigger cam that will do what the rr would do.

2. Would rr (roller rockers) and a cam be a waste of $$ on rr?

I usally get side step when I WOT in the wet, (sometimes in the dry too) and when I do burnouts. The back end goes left.

3. Could there be something in my limited slip diff broken that is causing this, or is it likely to be something else?

Thanks for the advise.......

Last edited by taws6; 03-23-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added
Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure what you mean by rr. However a cam upgrade would wake your car up very nicely depending on what grind you go with 50 or more hp at the wheels is easily accomplished. The AIR system does affect your emissions Im assuming you mean the egr system... It recycles unburned fuel from the exhaust and redirects it back into the engine to be burned again. Without this yes you will probably fail the emissions test. however it doesnt hurt the car to have it off as far as being beneficial its up for debate. Although if you decide to add a cam you can kiss any thoughts of passing emissions good bye.
I have a lsd in my mustang and firebird and both sidestep when doing burnouts taking off spinning or in the rain. Its just two tires spinning causing the back end to sort of float sometimes left other times right just depends.
Dan-
Old 03-23-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Part of that is wrong. The air system injects AIR into the exhaust manifold. The EGR is what dumps unburned exhaust back into the intake. When you go WOT in wet if your diff is working correctly it should side step the car to the left.

edit: It can side step in either direction, especially depending if you are going straight or taking a left/right turn.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Hi, thanks for your replys.

I have a 2001, so no EGR here.
I realise a bigger cam will affect emissions as well.
It sounds like my LSD is working correctly, so that's a relief.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:26 AM
TECH Veteran

oops i assumed he was talkin about the egr...
Old 03-24-2009, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

AIR only works for the first 2 or so min after the car is started, so if they only check once the cats are warm you should be ok. as far as the roller rockers go, dont waste your money unless you dont do a cam. A lot of LSx based cams specify the use of stock size RR's so you will end up going back anyhow.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:28 AM
TECH Resident

Great, sounds like I DID understand what I've learned.
Seems a couple of these 'car guys' aren't as fully up on the LS1 as they make out....

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by taws6
Great, sounds like I DID understand what I've learned.
Seems a couple of these 'car guys' aren't as fully up on the LS1 as they make out....

Thanks for the help.
yup

and I know several car guys that aren't up to par on the LS1, its just a different breed in many aspects. Not an old carbed "three fiddy".
Old 03-25-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure how strict your emissions smog tests are in England but I know folks pass emissions smog tests with cams. Probably not huge cams but something like a 224. The thing to look for is your cam LSA which determines your overlap, you want it minimal as possible for better emissions. And of course you would probably have to have a good tune.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

And what does sussed mean? That must be an English word
Old 03-26-2009, 05:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Move to Florida we have no emissions to pass! True duals, no cats, and headers and I dont worry cops dont even check.
Dan-
Old 03-26-2009, 05:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

1. I know once the cats are warm the AIR system is useless. It just gets em hotter faster from what I understand.

2. They make cams with pretty good lift nowadays (MS4, Torquer V3, LSK lobes in general, lol), and from what I understand, that's what different ratio'd roller rockers would do (I'm assuming this is what you mean), change the lift. But I'd say you'd be fine with the stock ones, unless you needed beefier or lighter roller rockers, which probably really aren't needed for a cam only street car. If this was an all out max effort race car on the other hand...

3. Can't help here, don't have lsd, lol. For what it's worth though, my car likes to step both directions, but tends to go right. Could be my alignment though, lol.

Also, what is "sussed"?
Old 03-26-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Sussed = Understood / worked out

I've a way to go before my cam (Shocks - discs - LT - TC), but I realise the cam and TC need to match each other, and I need to be carefull not to go too big for emmisions purposes.

I've got my modding plan, now just need to earn the spare readys ($$$£££!!)

Thanks for that, I think I got it 'sussed' now