Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maf ends question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default maf ends question

I tried looking up with a search but it did not find anything under MAF so I am asking it here. Is there any actual proof that ported MAF ends help out at all. From what I can tell the stock MAF sensor works as good as any but do not know how the ends can effet the air flow. I have a SLP 85mm maf but the more I read the less I think it does any good. Any opinions on this?
Old 10-25-2003, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

I used to run a ported maf ends and was told that I should program the computer for it. And that I might be running lean without a program. So I put the stock one back on. Just my .02.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

There can be gains if you do proper tuning, you should also purchase a MAFT, many of our sponsors have them and they are relatively cheep so check em out ------->
Old 10-25-2003, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't do ported MAF ends with an A4. It can kill your tranny.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:34 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pushinfreight
I tried looking up with a search but it did not find anything under MAF so I am asking it here. Is there any actual proof that ported MAF ends help out at all. From what I can tell the stock MAF sensor works as good as any but do not know how the ends can effet the air flow. I have a SLP 85mm maf but the more I read the less I think it does any good. Any opinions on this?

Yes, they "help". I have personal proof. I dynoed my '99 Z28 back to back runs with only changing out the MAF ends from stock to Granatelli. Resulted in a gain of 4 RWHP with little cool-down time inbetween pulls (just the 10 min. to swap the MAF ends). Not a huge gain, but every little bit helps.

Have no idea why Unit213 is saying it can kill your tranny. There is no direct link between what the MAF does and your Tranny.

Now, about running lean: Improving airflow by any means can result in your car running leaner if your PCM/MAF do not compensate for it. On my '01 SS, the Spectacle Solutions lid resulted in so much increased airflow that my A/F went from a range of 11.3-11.6 across the RPM band at WOT to 11.6-11.9 (again across the RPM band). I don't want leaner than 12.0, in fact I'd like to stay under 11.9, so I cannot add more airflow without some more PCM tuning.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

from what i understand the maf is correlated to the transmission to help determine when to shift. hence why the maf-t is used to tune the readings so as to offset this. obviously the maf-t is used to tune other readings as well, but this is my understanding how it relates to the tranny. as long as you tune for the conditions that may be created by the maf ends, then go for it. i'd suggest ends over an aftermarket maf. ends are kinda controversial, as you can tell from this post. some people such as TWS have seen improvements with them, others seen declines(due to lean conditions generally created by the introduction of increased airflow). I think it really is just a finicky thing with LS1's. Good luck either way.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've looked at this several times cause its a cheap and
easy mod, every time I determine its not worth it.

First for some reason it works better on 98/99 cars.
second it will kill the A4, a lot of people have posted
a year later saying they have to rebuild there tranny.
I forget the technical cause but it relates to the maf
telling the computer to shift and there being some confusion
which burns it up.

I have a 99 and a M6 and I still am not risking my ride
for a few ponies. Do more research and make up your
own mind. Consider this, if it was all that, we'd all have
them, right.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:05 AM
Administrator

There is a little thing called line pressure that aftermarket MAF ends reduces in A4 trannies. There have been several documented cases of trannies letting go as a result of ported/aftermarket MAF ends.

Ask Colonel if you don't believe me. I'm sure you'll take his word for it. IMO, it's not worth the possible tranny problems to pick up 2-5rwhp. Gain that somewhere else. Leave the MAF alone in A4 LS1's.

I wouldn't steer you guys wrong...
Old 10-26-2003, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

On some cars they seem to help out with no negative effects, but on most i beleive they make you run too lean that you do not gain any power or if you do its not worth taking the chance of eventually doing damage to the motor. On my car it made me run too lean i actually lost power, i say if you want to use ported ends definately get it tuned.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ask any of the good tuners out there - they all recomend a stock MAF (no porting), with just the screen removed.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:44 PM
Administrator

You got it Classic...just remove the screen and call it a day for MAF mods.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:27 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
You got it Classic...just remove the screen and call it a day for MAF mods.
My examples are just one data point (each) so I would not argue with Unit213.

All I can say is my '99 M6 gained 4 RWHP with the Granatelli and my '94 A4 has been running a heavily ported stock MAF since 1997.

Granted, my tranny was a Mike Kurtz- built HD/Racing version. I killed that one just a few months ago spraying 100 shots during street matches. Now I have an even better build up in there. So, I can't really say if STOCK trannies are affected by a MAF change. However, I know that shift points are determined by MPH or RPM. Think it's MPH actually but it's been a long time since I bothered with that and I'm forgetting. Line pressure does have a great effect on the tranny, but I didn't know the MAF had an influence on it.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:18 AM
Administrator

TWS- It's not shiftpoints that a ported MAF affects. It's the line pressure. MAF ends cause a decrease in that line pressure which ulitmately can result in transmission failure. I don't have time to go into extensive detail here since I'm at work.

FWIW, I'm not trying to argue...just provide the best info possible to a fellow LS1Tech member.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:53 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
MAF ends cause a decrease in that line pressure which ulitmately can result in transmission failure.

Definitely agree with you there. Low line pressure = bad. Just didn't know a MAF would have much effect on it. Learn something new every day.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

But...If you have an aftermarket programmer you can increase the line pressure to negate the negative affects of the aftermarket MAF. Unit im not tryin to contridict you at all.
WeS
Old 10-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Administrator

You're right onebadz. You can adjust the line pressure. That's a good point.

If I'm wrong, contradict away. Like I said...I'm just trying to share the best (most useful & correct) info.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you can buy ends but without tuning you will dangerously lean out.....very bad....

it can show a gain of a few horsepower and a few torque....but only if you have tuning so that it reads the incoming air correctly....

on my car...before tuning...I was seeing 15.8:1 @ WOT(dangerously lean)...and I got tuning right after doing porting and descreening.

during normal driving our o2's do all the work and work to get 14.7:1 all the time...so it wont hurt the A/F there...

tuning got me up into the magical 13's A/F for N/A cars....

it will be harder on an A4...unless you get TUNING...

hope you see the trend....

TUNING
Old 10-27-2003, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

maf is used to determine load on the motor.

load derives the rest of the motor requirements, timing, fuel, and transmission shifting.

Picking up 4 hp, by making the car run lean, and more timing (this is what a modified maf does for more power) does not make any sense to me.

Ryan <-- stock maf.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another vote here for LEAVING YOUR MAF THE F&*K ALONE!

I've been screwing around with resistors for months now trying to get my A/F ratio back to normal. De-screen it and call it a day, I wish I had.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:53 PM
Administrator

I did tons of research when I considered porting my MAF. I talked to a handful of guys running 10's on the stock MAF with the !screen. That right there should be enough.

Quick Reply: maf ends question