New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats the quickest way to 500rwhp NA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bet i can supply proof it dose happen and can happen check out the adds by super chevy may issue and read along they give you plenty of examples .stock ls1 block stock ls1 crank stock rods stock pistons 10.2:1 compression cnc ported 5.3 heads a comp xr265HR cam .522/.529 lift ls6 intake better throttle body better managment system hooker headers 18 inch collector extension pushing 535 hp and 478lb of torque if you have anything else you doubt ill send you the dyno and let you hang that up after all that yeah go blower or turbo something else because its kinda maxed out
Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 540z28
bet i can supply proof it dose happen and can happen check out the adds by super chevy may issue and read along they give you plenty of examples .stock ls1 block stock ls1 crank stock rods stock pistons 10.2:1 compression cnc ported 5.3 heads a comp xr265HR cam .522/.529 lift ls6 intake better throttle body better managment system hooker headers 18 inch collector extension pushing 535 hp and 478lb of torque if you have anything else you doubt ill send you the dyno and let you hang that up after all that yeah go blower or turbo something else because its kinda maxed out
540z28
My Garage

Trader Rating: 0

my god..

AGAIN PEOPLE... when you say "i wanna make 500rwhp NA"... that doesnt mean on an engine dyno...

NOBODY has hit 535 on a dyno... PLEASE prove me wrong.. and, if thats the case... why are most 408s not even that high?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

lol, just read that again.. thats a lot of smart *** talk for being wrong..
Old 06-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Teching In

your just pissed because youve never done it right
Old 06-25-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Build your driveline first or your going to find out the hard way that you will break everything behind the motor once you make power like that. I would vote moving to a 402/408 if you want it N/A or forge your stock motor (pistons/rods) to go F/I to make that power reliable. I just put a mild cam and decent heads (MS3 and PRC 2.5 5.3 heads) on my 408 and made 509whp and 479wtq uncorrected and 495whp 471wtq corrected through a t56 and S60 with 4.10s. There is a solid maker for you, but finish your driveline FIRST, because you will break it.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

your just pissed because youve never done it right
yea thats it... along with every single other person that has EVER EVER EVER built an ls1... NOBODY has/will reach 500rwhp on a stock cubed ls1...

period.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
Build your driveline first or your going to find out the hard way that you will break everything behind the motor once you make power like that. I would vote moving to a 402/408 if you want it N/A or forge your stock motor (pistons/rods) to go F/I to make that power reliable. I just put a mild cam and decent heads (MS3 and PRC 2.5 5.3 heads) on my 408 and made 509whp and 479wtq uncorrected and 495whp 471wtq corrected through a t56 and S60 with 4.10s. There is a solid maker for you, but finish your driveline FIRST, because you will break it.
again i apologize for my ignorance... what all does the driveline include? tranny, gears?.....suspension?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pheer
again i apologize for my ignorance... what all does the driveline include? tranny, gears?.....suspension?
built rear, built trans, suspension parts to get it to the ground...

best answer is... there is NO easy way to make 500rwhp NA..
Old 06-26-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so i'm noticing....
Old 06-26-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pheer
so i'm noticing....

your looking at 10+k EASY to make 500+ NA AND put it to the ground without destroying ****..

procharger!
Old 06-26-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

IMO the only reason to go for 500 NA RWHP on a stock cube LS1 is to say you did it. It won't be driveable for **** and will cost an assload of money. STS/D1SC gets my vote. Or you could just say **** it and hit it with the 150 shot for an extremely streetable 500rwhp But to have the power at your fingertips 24/7 and being able to legally use it on the street, go with FI. Not cheap by any means but you can pick up a complete blower of your choice/injectors/fuel pump used on here for around $4000 pretty easy. Install it, get it tuned, and there ya go. Just get ready to build up your tranny/clutch/rear end/driveshaft/bank account.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes that is it bro. Concentrate on your transmission, stronger rear, driveshaft, and chassis(subframes, lower control arms, and torque arm minimal). Those things will have to be addressed when you start wanting to make power like that. Even a torque arm relocation tranny crossmember to get the torque arm off the tailshaft of the transmission if your planning on dropping the hammer at the track with 500whp. You will start breaking alot of stuff easily, do it once and do it right. I learned my lesson the hardway.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

There is so much fail in this thread. 500 rwhp has been done, several times, on a stock ci ls1. And if you dont want to be picky 485+ has been done quite a bit. To everyone saying spray it, procharge it, is that answering the OP's question...um no because neither is NATURALLY ASPIRATED! And no, its not ungodly money, probably about what you'll end up spending on your little procharger when you again, factor everything in. Any way you go, you need a tune, and you will pay for both to get installed, or do it yourself. No you will not get 485+ rwhp on off the shelf parts... but you dont have to drop 12 grand on an LS7 either....

Fwiw, most of the lower boost fi setups run like dog **** anyway, I mean look at what times cars are turning out...

My next setup will be approaching this power level I hope... I assume it will cost me around $5500 for a near max effort stock cube build, I did the budget deal, now im going all out, sheetmetal intake or single plane, titanium vlaves, etc.. Would this work in a 3.42 geared car, hell no, will it work in my 4.56 geared 2890 lb car, it should....
Old 07-04-2009, 11:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12

your looking at 10+k EASY to make 500+ NA AND put it to the ground without destroying ****..

procharger!

And you dont think you will need to do the aforementioned upgrades with a procharger setup... ummm ok...
Old 07-04-2009, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

yea thats it... along with every single other person that has EVER EVER EVER built an ls1... NOBODY has/will reach 500rwhp on a stock cubed ls1...

period.

Your wrong. 500rwhp has been done several times before. ECS and Vengeance Racing to name a couple have kits that topped the 500+rwhp mark N/A on stock cubes. Foolish of you to throw a claim out there without doing your homework.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BADD SS
There is so much fail in this thread. 500 rwhp has been done, several times, on a stock ci ls1. And if you dont want to be picky 485+ has been done quite a bit. To everyone saying spray it, procharge it, is that answering the OP's question...um no because neither is NATURALLY ASPIRATED! And no, its not ungodly money, probably about what you'll end up spending on your little procharger when you again, factor everything in. Any way you go, you need a tune, and you will pay for both to get installed, or do it yourself. No you will not get 485+ rwhp on off the shelf parts... but you dont have to drop 12 grand on an LS7 either....

Fwiw, most of the lower boost fi setups run like dog **** anyway, I mean look at what times cars are turning out...

My next setup will be approaching this power level I hope... I assume it will cost me around $5500 for a near max effort stock cube build, I did the budget deal, now im going all out, sheetmetal intake or single plane, titanium vlaves, etc.. Would this work in a 3.42 geared car, hell no, will it work in my 4.56 geared 2890 lb car, it should....
i could see 485... but 485rwhp and 500rwhp are a BIG BIG difference..

the OP said he was not opposed to procharging it..

Originally Posted by BADD SS
And you dont think you will need to do the aforementioned upgrades with a procharger setup... ummm ok...
will you need to buy a block with more cubes? no..

you will definitely still need some fuel upgrades, a rear end, and a transmission (a4 might last a little, m6 would be destroyed)..

you can run 6 lbs on a stock block and make 500rwhp.. that is being VERY VERY safe..
running 6 lbs and buying a transmission and rear would only run around 6-7k.. and the setup still had a LOT left... where the NA is pushed to its limits..

im not a noob.. dont try to pass it off like that.. i have looked into going NA 408 on my next setup.. looked at NA 347.. 347 with a d1sc.. 347 with an STS (bad thought.. )...
i know what they cost so dont pull my chain and tell me a used procharger kit is 6k along with 3k for a rear and 2k for a transmission..

Originally Posted by Demon 383
Your wrong. 500rwhp has been done several times before. ECS and Vengeance Racing to name a couple have kits that topped the 500+rwhp mark N/A on stock cubes. Foolish of you to throw a claim out there without doing your homework.
my bad.. guess i didnt clarify it enough...

nobody has or will make 500rwhp and have it last ANY amount of time what so ever..
one guy thought so, but then remembered that car blew up..
if you do happen to hit 500rwhp on a stock cubed ls1 its going to be pushed to its limits and beyond.. your looking at 5 track passes and it blowing up, or on the dyno..
i dont consider that an accomplishment by any means..

sorry i didnt go further into what i was trying to say, my fault.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

i could see 485... but 485rwhp and 500rwhp are a BIG BIG difference..

the OP said he was not opposed to procharging it..

will you need to buy a block with more cubes? no..

you will definitely still need some fuel upgrades, a rear end, and a transmission (a4 might last a little, m6 would be destroyed)..

you can run 6 lbs on a stock block and make 500rwhp.. that is being VERY VERY safe..
running 6 lbs and buying a transmission and rear would only run around 6-7k.. and the setup still had a LOT left... where the NA is pushed to its limits..

im not a noob.. dont try to pass it off like that.. i have looked into going NA 408 on my next setup.. looked at NA 347.. 347 with a d1sc.. 347 with an STS (bad thought.. )...
i know what they cost so dont pull my chain and tell me a used procharger kit is 6k along with 3k for a rear and 2k for a transmission..

nobody has or will make 500rwhp and have it last ANY amount of time what so ever..
if you do happen to hit 500rwhp on a stock cubed ls1 its going to be pushed to its limits and beyond.. your looking at 5 track passes and it blowing up, or on the dyno..

Well since my dumb computer just deleted everything I just typed, I'll make it simple.

Regardless of FI or NA, you WILL need a rear, and trans work

You strayed Him to FI, after his second post he still wanted N/A

Reliability could easily be handled, the block itself is not the issue, rods/bolts are.

Him going 485 or so N/a is still closer to his original goal, then throwing it out the window and going with a procharger.

Iforgot the rest i had typed up, so I'll stop here...

And PS Vista sucks ***.....
Old 07-05-2009, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Ha, and this is coming from someone who just a while ago would of swore 500rw couldn't be done on stock cubes. Now it's "it can be done but not reliably". The guys car that blew was just one of the several examples of a 500hp stock cube car. It's still one heck of an accomplishment and deserves more kudo's than doing the same thing with F.I. if you ask me.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...e-results.html

This setup will put you close N/A. Jason drives this car everyday so he wanted to keep some manners in it. That cam is really not that big so there is a little more in it if he wanted I believe.......

Also note it has a SD tune by a super good tuner....

Note: It is a M6 car on a 10 bolt.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Default boost

Originally Posted by redbird555
I'd personally go for the procharger setup. You can do it pretty much without touching the engine minus fuel and tuning. If you go n/a heads are $1500 cam swap $1000 intake $800. 3300 right there and there will be little nickel and dime things like tuning and fuel. A used procharger kit can be had for $3500 or maybe less as stated above. 8psi will make you smile for a long while, general rule of thumb is for every lb of boost is 10% increase in hp. So when 8 is boring just swap a pulley to make 10 or 12 psi or more if your ballsy.
just my .02
Dan
The stock pistons and connecting rods will need to be changed if you wanna handle that boost. But he is lookin for N/A anyway. Heads, cam and intake is safer.

Quick Reply: whats the quickest way to 500rwhp NA?