New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! should i get this camaro??? is it to good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP!!!! should i get this camaro??? is it to good to be true?

Ok so here’s the deal ... I just sold my 02 auto Z today and now I am looking for a new one..The main things are that it’s an M6 and not in "arrest me bright rally red" so I came across this one for sale by a private seller and here’s what the ad says.....

"I have owned the car for many years and recently upgraded to a new corvette. The car had a brand new GM LS1 motor installed with warranty 30k miles ago. I have all of the paperwork. The car has many modifications including a full clutch and fly wheel that I had changed to a LUK Clutch/aluminum flywheel which is rated up to 500hp. New motor and clutch assembly has not gone through any racing, boost or nitrous, all 30k miles were daily driven on the highway. The car runs perfect, a/c is cold and all accessories work great! Car was daily driven on the highway and meticulously maintained with synthetic oil changes. The car has a beautiful black leather interior, custom high quality MB Quart audio system, Kenwood Excelon MP3/CD/XM head unit, JL Audio Amplifiers,10"JL Audio subwoofer, custom gauges and nitrous controls, Moser 12 bolt rear differential with 3.90 gears, Borla 3" exhaust, SLP Long tube headers with hi flow cats, LS6 intake manifold, Whisper Lid w/K&N filter, 60# fuel injectors, Aeromotive fuel pump booster, Walbro fuel pump, Pro 5.0 short throw shifter, chromoly BMR drag suspension and torque arm, SLP sub frame connectors, driveshaft loop, stainless steel brake lines, Power Stop slotted & dimpled rotors. NOS 5177 Nitrous kit is hooked up but no solenoids. Car is ready for boost or nitrous! Asking $8,500 "

Now this is where I need everyone’s help

Questions...

1) When looking at the said paperwork what do I look for and compare to the engine..part numbers?..if so where do i look..

2) Is there any way I can visually tell the differences between brands SFC's(slp),headers(slp),exhaust(borla) and the suspension(bmr) also the ls6 intake I know they put them on the 02's but did they also put them on the 00+01's?

3) The Moser 12 bolt rear.. how can I tell if it really is one?

4) Is there a way I could find out if he has run nitrous on the said new engine???

Thanks guys I really appreciate it..sorry for the long post I just dont want to get F**ed
Old 07-04-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Seems a little fishy.... Id want to know how he blew up the old ls1 it had. Im pretty sure he probaly beat the snot out of it or something, so its hard to believe he babied the new motor for 30k miles. If i was in your situation id pass on this one.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28bryan02
Seems a little fishy.... Id want to know how he blew up the old ls1 it had. Im pretty sure he probaly beat the snot out of it or something, so its hard to believe he babied the new motor for 30k miles. If i was in your situation id pass on this one.
ya thats what i was thinking but he says he water locked the first one..
Old 07-04-2009, 01:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fact that he mentions about nitrous, yet he says it's taken care of and never raced just makes me lol. It was prob. beat on pretty good and I wouldn't buy a molested car like that but thats just me..
Old 07-04-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Isn't that rear worth around half of what he's asking?
Old 07-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by firstinlastout86
Ok so here’s the deal ... I just sold my 02 auto Z today and now I am looking for a new one..The main things are that it’s an M6 and not in "arrest me bright rally red" so I came across this one for sale by a private seller and here’s what the ad says.....

"I have owned the car for many years and recently upgraded to a new corvette. The car had a brand new GM LS1 motor installed with warranty 30k miles ago. I have all of the paperwork. The car has many modifications including a full clutch and fly wheel that I had changed to a LUK Clutch/aluminum flywheel which is rated up to 500hp. New motor and clutch assembly has not gone through any racing, boost or nitrous, all 30k miles were daily driven on the highway. The car runs perfect, a/c is cold and all accessories work great! Car was daily driven on the highway and meticulously maintained with synthetic oil changes. The car has a beautiful black leather interior, custom high quality MB Quart audio system, Kenwood Excelon MP3/CD/XM head unit, JL Audio Amplifiers,10"JL Audio subwoofer, custom gauges and nitrous controls, Moser 12 bolt rear differential with 3.90 gears, Borla 3" exhaust, SLP Long tube headers with hi flow cats, LS6 intake manifold, Whisper Lid w/K&N filter, 60# fuel injectors, Aeromotive fuel pump booster, Walbro fuel pump, Pro 5.0 short throw shifter, chromoly BMR drag suspension and torque arm, SLP sub frame connectors, driveshaft loop, stainless steel brake lines, Power Stop slotted & dimpled rotors. NOS 5177 Nitrous kit is hooked up but no solenoids. Car is ready for boost or nitrous! Asking $8,500 "

Now this is where I need everyone’s help

Questions...

1) When looking at the said paperwork what do I look for and compare to the engine..part numbers?..if so where do i look..

2) Is there any way I can visually tell the differences between brands SFC's(slp),headers(slp),exhaust(borla) and the suspension(bmr) also the ls6 intake I know they put them on the 02's but did they also put them on the 00+01's?

3) The Moser 12 bolt rear.. how can I tell if it really is one?

4) Is there a way I could find out if he has run nitrous on the said new engine???

Thanks guys I really appreciate it..sorry for the long post I just dont want to get F**ed
The best car I've ever owned was a 98 Z28. The seller was selling it because
he was buying a new corvette as well. It was nearly stock though.
As for ID'ing the brand of the modded parts, the borla exhaust should be
the easiest. The have very distinguishable tips. The LS6 intake manifold
came on the 01-02 LS1 f-bodies. The only way to know for sure that it
is a real LS6 is to check the part number.
I didn't know that LUK made a clutch that strong. I thought that they
only made OEM parts. You might check on that.
Your best bet is to take it to a shop that you trust & have them check
it out. That's what I would do if I was buying a car this highly modified.
Good Luck.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:54 AM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

8,500???..................
Old 07-04-2009, 05:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pass.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:08 AM
12 Second Club

thanks guys im going to pass on it which sucks cause ..here is a guy selling a stock-ish one and he is asking more...

"Pewter 02 Z28 ,55K miles ,6 Speed,SS hood,Black Z06 rims ,Tan leather interior ,Monsoon,"WS6" power antenna,SLP Lid w/ smooth bellow,Hurst shifter with factory Hurst option shift **** New window motors,New hydraulics (clutch and slave),Aftermarket headlights,Professionally tinted tail lights,Limo tinted windows asking $9,000"

this one sounds less shady huh?....
Old 07-04-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Go drive the car before you pass... If I blew up my motor and put in a crate LS1 then i'd probably baby it for a while. Let it idle for a half hour and listen to the motor. Try to feel if there is any slack in the driveline... The car may be awesome... 12 bolt will literially have 12 bolts on the rear cover... Also check to see if there is any evedience N2O system. The wear on the pedals will indicate how the car has been driven... Also, if the seat will flex a bit to the right then you know he was stomping on it hard...

I just re-read the description and there is little doubt that it has been driven hard... still would give it a test drive.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

Chris? Whats up its Armando. If you want i'll go check out the car with you.. Hit me up
Old 07-04-2009, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

I would buy the first one. Who every says they don't beat there car is lieing to you... Sorry. And for the mods you will be able to tell the SLP headers and borla right away. As far as the rear get under it and you could count the bolt and the suspension parts may be a differnt color maybe red or black but will have a bmr sticker on them.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TripleWhite96
Chris? Whats up its Armando. If you want i'll go check out the car with you.. Hit me up
hey what up armando thanks, i should have thought to ask you....
i have seen the s/n post on here and never knew it was you ha lol
if you have my number still hit me up,my phone crashed and i lost all my numbers 460-8519 thanks bro
Old 07-06-2009, 01:50 PM

i would try to get someone that knows a decent amount of these cars to go with you. it is always gonna turn out better that way.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:25 AM
12 Second Club

SOLD
Old 07-07-2009, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by firstinlastout86
SOLD
Sold as in you bought the car??
Old 07-07-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident