Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4, cam without stall??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by taws6
I recently posted a poll, 'will the 4l60e take a stall?', and 40% think a stall will kill my tranny, or possably will. 60% say I'll be fine with stock tranny. NOT great % if you ask me.....
A stall sounds great, but I don't want to keep dumping $$ into my car (too many other expenses), and I know I could save for longer, but rebuilding my tranny is a expense I don't want to have to risk.

Okay, I had a look at the cheatr cam, but it looks more like a cam for stock mainfolds and n20.....

I don't fully understand cam terminoligy (it's huge), but this sounds like a good recommendation, and I'll look more into it. When it's time for a cam I'll ask the site sponsers for advise too....

Agreed, not the best option, but I'm only considering it if a cam is out of the question, and they've got to be worth 10-15 hp....

I'll look into the gm hot cam also.
After looking around on here, there are a few people running cams on stock stall.

It is more a question of what I'm prepared to spend, than what can I afford....., you can see my planned budget, and probably up to an extra $1000 on top of my planed mods

So what sort of gains could I hope for from a cam that is designed for a stock stall?????
Would 224/224 565 lift on 114 lsa still be civilized idle for stock stall?

1200 miles sounds like a great road trip SOMbitch

Thanks for taking the time to help
Wow 40% "THINK" you will be ok. Of those 40% I bet 55% of them have M6s, 40% don't have a stall, and the other 5% have stalls and built transmissions.

You might get 10-15 hp from a small cam but you won't get that from some rocker arms.

What do you want to do with the car? Why do you want the cam over the stall?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

auto+cam+no stall=
auto+no stall=
Old 07-09-2009, 04:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your replys
What do you want to do with the car? Why do you want the cam over the stall?
My plan is corner carver, 20 - 60 mph range

I have seen a few other members here who have cams with stock stall.
Only reason (cam over TC) being the thought of having to spend out on the trans if it gives out with a stall. I only personally know 1 car with a stall, and he has blown the tranny. And after looking at the cost of a rebuilt trans ($1600+), realise that alone is more than I am prepared to pay, and that's without the stall.

You might get 10-15 hp from a small cam
That alone writes off a cam for me, it's just not worth the install PITA

auto+cam+no stall=
auto+no stall=
Point taken, no cam for me

Okay, so the stall won't automaticlly kill my trans, and I guess the poll could be biased / unfair representative, but I did post the poll in the auto trans, so not many M6 guys in there.....
I guess I might chance my luck with a good stall and cooler.
If I get a TC, would the pulley and 3.73 make the trans much more likely to break?
I did plan to do TC and cam a while ago, but after seeing the other car break his trans, have been put off the idea somewhat, and he's done some trans reinforcement too....

Last edited by taws6; 07-09-2009 at 04:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude you can kill your trans with bolt ons. Do it right get a nice built trans and a quality stall. Hell if you want ill sell you my trans stall flexplate and cooler for $1600+shipping. Extreme trans stage 2 4l60 circle d 4c speedinc sfi flexplate and a b&m 24k cooler
Old 07-09-2009, 06:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for $1600+shipping
Yea, plus shipping to UK , plus 10% import duty, plus 15% VAT, + $20 handling fee, + install costs, this just ISN'T going to be cheap for me,(mabey as much as $3k?!) and it's just not an expense I need.
If I was prepared to pay out for a built tranny, I'd hit it with spray., mabey one day in a couple of years....

I guess I may just stick with gears and a pulley for now.

I would like to add a stall, cam, rebulit trans, 12 bolt, spray, hell even throw a SC on there, but I'm not prepared to spend more on my car than the car is worth, bad investment IMO

I have decided I am decisively indecisive lol

Thanks for all the help
Old 07-12-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I think the 3.73s will lighten the drivetrain load and therefor make it less likely anything will break. If you did 3.73s and a Yank SS4000 your car would be a whole new animal. Your car would eat BMWs and **** Benzs. You would be boiling street tyres from a roll. That converter would put a smile on your face way more then any cam only.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not install the LT's now and wait for the stall/transmission later? Lt's aren't too hard to install either. BTW, my transmission died after 6k or so after installing a 3600-3800 converter. I even used a nice transmission cooler. I swear when they hit near or at the 100k mark its a ticking time bomb. I can think of two Silverado's, my Camaro, and a friends Camaro that blew up our 4L60e's near 100k.

The full exhaust will give you good gains, but the feel of a nice converter is sick!

Quick Reply: A4, cam without stall??????