Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up a 1998 SS Camaro... few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig, i forgot to ask...

Where did you get the headlights? Are they factory headlights? Mine are dingy and yella.

Thanks
BW
Old 10-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by turbov6bryan
Well, i just washed it up... Spent about an hour and 10.00 at the car wash getting all the dirt and blems out of the paint.

Here it is, apparently it does not have the ss front grille. Anyone know where to get one?

Link to camaro The account is open to public.

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m...20SS%20CAMARO/

Mods,.. well,.. There arent ANY.. and i think it would break the bank if i did it the way i would want to.
Good lookin car man! I'm no expert, so the only advice I have for ya is ENJOY IT! I have a great time in my SS, absolutely THE most fun I've had in a vehicle yet, bar none! (and I drove an '01 Vette convertible for a few months) Take care of her, keep her clean, and have fun!
Old 10-05-2009, 04:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bilsteins are blue and yellow, did i see it wrong or was the just one exhaust tip? nice car it will be a lot of fun. headers are one of the bst gains for the money so i would recomend them, just make sure you match it up with a nice catback so its not obnoxious or crappy sounding.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Headers..

These appear to be factory headers. These are stainless from looking at them right??? Im just here to learn, i dont know alot about these cars, i appears these would work just fine, flow fairly decent?
Here is the photo of the header

From looking the car over, its mostly stock, doesnt appear to have been modded out. 2 owner car.

Your car is very nice, thats the grill i was looking for I agree, it does look like the nicest grill on these cars
Those are the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds with the stock heat shields on them(technically not "headers").
Like these:

If you had stainless headers they would look something like this:
Old 10-05-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=itsslow98;12319326]bilsteins are blue and yellow, did i see it wrong or was the just one exhaust tip? nice car it will be a lot of fun.

98 Camaro's came with on one tail pipe on the left. But It's actually a 3" exhaust. It's very rare and they seem to sale pretty good espeically the 2OTL (2 on the left exit). When I didn't know about sports cars out before I got into these one guy pass me in an SS with the 2OTL and that sh*t sounded good, hell it got me excited. But I have a GMMG exhaust now and wouldn't trade it for anything. I love it it has a killer tone.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Hey hows it going?
Not disreguarding your post, but those "manifolds" you have the photo are rusted, not only on the flange, but all the way down, i guess since its a cast "manifold"

They appear to be a "CAST" manifold, where these have a flange, and the pipe is welded on the inside.

Well, i put a magnet on them and it sticks, but that doesnt mean its not a mild grade of stainless. The flange is rusted, but the rest of the pipe is not.
At first i just assumed they were stainless, since these are not rusted.
Maybe they are standard issue 98 manifolds.

Does anyone have any info on what all was upgraded for the 98 camaro SS?

The car does have the single shot exhaust, was wondering what all else was done to the car over standard issue camaro z28 , as in what else was done to make the SS a SS ....

I did make a new thread here in the newbie tech, if anyone could help me decide on what to do for a new engine, i would really really really appreciate your advice on what to do. I need to replace the motor, so might as well go big.

Thanks for the help guys.

BW

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Those are the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds with the stock heat shields on them(technically not "headers").
Like these:

If you had stainless headers they would look something like this:
Old 10-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Here is what mine sounds like....

Maybe they are kyb's?
I did all new rotors and ceramic pads friday, 158.00
I should have paid attention to the brand, they are red, too lazy to raise the car back up and see.
BW

[QUOTE=thewholefnshow1;12322096]
Originally Posted by itsslow98
bilsteins are blue and yellow, did i see it wrong or was the just one exhaust tip? nice car it will be a lot of fun.

98 Camaro's came with on one tail pipe on the left. But It's actually a 3" exhaust. It's very rare and they seem to sale pretty good espeically the 2OTL (2 on the left exit). When I didn't know about sports cars out before I got into these one guy pass me in an SS with the 2OTL and that sh*t sounded good, hell it got me excited. But I have a GMMG exhaust now and wouldn't trade it for anything. I love it it has a killer tone.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Revo1
Good lookin car man! I'm no expert, so the only advice I have for ya is ENJOY IT! I have a great time in my SS, absolutely THE most fun I've had in a vehicle yet, bar none! (and I drove an '01 Vette convertible for a few months) Take care of her, keep her clean, and have fun!
Thanks man. This car is filling the need for a camaro.

I ordered a new camaro back in october/november last year, and cancelled it when my back was blown out.
Wished i had that new one, but not missing the car payment for it.

Bought this one just the other day ... (luck on my side)

Here is the link, i forgot to post it up in the last message

YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45uPXLxQT2g
Old 10-06-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

The red/orange shocks are the factory DeCarbons.

If you're building a engine for it it all depends what you what. You could get a stock LS6 (405HP and is easiest to install), LS2 (400hp and a little harder), LS3 (430hp and same as LS2) and have a lot of power with totallly stock driving manners. Or get the LS376 which is a stock LS3 with the LS1 hot cam and produces 480hp.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks man. This car is filling the need for a camaro.

I ordered a new camaro back in october/november last year, and cancelled it when my back was blown out.
Wished i had that new one, but not missing the car payment for it.

Bought this one just the other day ... (luck on my side)

Here is the link, i forgot to post it up in the last message

YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45uPXLxQT2g

I hear you on the new Camaro... I want a 2SS/RS so bad, but just won't be able to swing it for awhile... (Not without selling my '02 anyway, and that just isn't gonna happen)

Interior looks real clean! Just got my SS in April, was too excited not to take some video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RbDmzhIn38
You'll notice your mileage is 4k under what mine was when I bought her, good find! What's up with that knock you mentioned? I thought there was something up with mine at first too, because there was so much racket comin from the motor, turned out to be normal...

Quick Reply: Picked up a 1998 SS Camaro... few questions