Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie needing advice on a cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie needing advice on a cam

I just bought me a 1998 trans am ws6 and its stock and in need to know what cam will suit me best for street and track
Old 11-06-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You need some supporting mods to get the full potential out of a cam. You want to do a full exhaust (headers, Y pipe, cat back) ls6 or a fast intake manifold first then get a cam. Also what transmission do you have, auto or 6 speed?
Old 11-11-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

read the cam sticky under internal eng gen 3, but before you "stick a cam in it" think about the rest of the mods you should get (as the last poster mentioned). also we need to know is this a daily driver you need a good idle or a race car with a choppy uncivilized idle? how high do you plan on revving the engine 6k 6.5k 7k? upgraded SPRINGS are a must with a bigger cam. first mods should be air lid, cat back, headers (if legal/no emmission cks) suspension LCA lower control arms, SFC sub frame connectors, panhard bar, then id get a ported throttle body , ls6 or better intake (i forgot your yr car) TUNE is a must. then pop in a cam and ls6 heads. now your good to go although your wallets a little lighter! cheers! ps if you remove your stock cats dont throw away, they have platinum and are worth $$.