Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL...again

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default CEL...again

So, I recently purchased an 00 WS6 (exhaust and K&N, 6 spd) from a dealership. While I was test-driving it the check engine light came on. We took it back and they ended up replacing the two front O2 sensors and cleared the code (a week ago). Well, today I had my foot in it pretty good doing about 115 in 4th and the stupid CEL comes on again. Took it to Autozone and the code reads "lows volts to the front two sensors." Could this be anything else? He claims they replaced those sensors at a $500 expense to them. I need some thoughts. I haven't checked the sensors myself because I don't know where they are or how to get to them. Could they just be loose or something? Let me know what you guys think!
Old 11-14-2009, 04:26 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

The front 02 sensors are located in the stock exhaust manifolds or headers. Both will be before the catalytic converters if your car still has them. Therefore, the rear 02 sensors are in the exhaust past the catalytic converters. You can buy name-brand sensors yourself for hundreds of dollars less than what the dealership claims it cost them. I bought a pair of Bosch 02 sensors a few years ago for $150.00.

Your dealership may have just deleted the trouble code that was causing the check engine light to come on. If they didn't bother to change the 02 sensors after deleting the code, then the check engine light will eventually come back on.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

They have the receipts and everything. They replaced both of the front ones before deleting the code. You see my dilemma.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:47 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by LSWONCOOP
They have the receipts and everything. They replaced both of the front ones before deleting the code. You see my dilemma.
Well if the dealership decided that the 02 Sensors were faulty & replaced them, then they should warranty their work. Since changing the 02 Sensors didn't correct the problem, the dealership should be willing to relook at the car. If additional parts are needed, then you can cross that bridge when you come to it.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:47 PM
'Bird Director

Most car lots will warranty a used car for the first 30 days of ownership, so at least give it a shot.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

It was an "as is" sale. I didn't purchase the warranty, and the dealership I bought the car at is 250 miles away. I guess I'll end up taking it to my mechanic on Monday unless anyone has some better advice.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:34 PM
'Bird Director

It was an "as is" sale. I didn't purchase the warranty, and the dealership I bought the car at is 250 miles away. I guess I'll end up taking it to my mechanic on Monday unless anyone has some better advice.
All used cars are sold "as is" on car lots whether they have the "as is" paper taped in the vehicle's window or not. Regardless of that, they should at least honor your request to have it looked at again. Like I said above, they should repair it for free within the first 30 days of ownership regardless of whether you purchased a warranty or not....that's just a good business practice. Before you spend any of your own money on repairs, you should really at least give them a call and let them know that their repairs didn't solve the problem. If they're a stand up place, they'll make sure you're taken car of.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I would do that, but I don't have time to make a 500 mile round trip to have them look at it. That's not really an option 4 me.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just call them and see what they say first then you can decide what you are going to do.

If they will fix it will save you at least a hundred bucks to fix it yourself. But then again you may soend that on gas going there and back. LOL
Old 11-14-2009, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I don't have TIME plus gas would probably cost me like $60 at least. Never mind the question. I wanted tech support not advice on how to handle it from a financial stand-point. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:21 PM
'Bird Director

Yeah, I don't have TIME plus gas would probably cost me like $60 at least. Never mind the question. I wanted tech support not advice on how to handle it from a financial stand-point. Thanks.
You posted something that could have easily been searched for on your own TIME. You have been on here all night, so looks as if you have plenty of TIME. I usually skip over questions like these because they're easily answered by using the search function, but I thought I'd be a good sport and take the time to answer one. Guess I shouldn't have just skipped over it.

The price for a tank of gas won't even cover and hour's worth of labor costs at a typical shop. For someone not wanting financial advice, it's pretty obvious what the best route is for solving your mechanical issues. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. I'm just frustrated because I've only had this car a week and this is the second problem I've encountered already. I was hoping it might be a simple fix that someone knew about. I didn't have this many problems when I had my last f-body. I'm just frustrated. This is one of the few saturdays I've had open. I spend about 60 hrs/week at school. Grad school stress combined w/ these car problems is not fun.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Hey its cool but the only real thing can be done is replace O2 sensors and see if they go bad again and if they do then you can try to trace if it is a different cause of the problem.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

Thanks. I'm just frustrated because I've only had this car a week and this is the second problem I've encountered already. I was hoping it might be a simple fix that someone knew about. I didn't have this many problems when I had my last f-body. I'm just frustrated. This is one of the few saturdays I've had open. I spend about 60 hrs/week at school. Grad school stress combined w/ these car problems is not fun.
my moto is... unless your on the side of the road calling a tow truck, theres nothing to get stressed about. car is running? your good to go. worry about it when you get the TIME.

arnt O2 sensors easy to change? i thought they were right in plain view under the car. never changed them tho.