Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yeah I think I'm a moron

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 11:00 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I trust the owners manual more than I trust people who can't back up what they are saying with any experience, logic, or even vague reasoning.

But its your car, decide for yourself.

XtaZ has it right.

HK, it isn't going to **** up your car. In fact, if you have to acclerate and you don't want it locking up in 4th then having to downshift, keep it in 3rd! Preventing it from going into forth when you know you are going to accelerate would actually be BETTER for your transmission.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Z, how is it better for the transmission? Sorry, I'm a noob, heh. Is it because I'd end up in 3rd anyway, so why put stress on the transmission by having it go up to 4th, and pound back into 3rd?
Old 12-17-2003, 11:15 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

You got it.

And throttle response is quicker without having to wait for a downshift. And isn't that why you bought your car? To have fun!
Old 12-17-2003, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

sorry, i meant having the transmission itself pound back to 3rd, not doing it manually.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What i do is when i'm about to get on the highway the turn before i get on the service road i shift into the D (overdrive) gear and i'm never on the gas when i shift. Same thing when i come off the highway is i'll wait for a stop sign or a red light before i shift into 3 again.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

2001 Whiteis it safer to get off the gas before shifting into D?
Old 12-17-2003, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

STOP! I can't believe you guys don't know how a tranny works. The trans has a valve body that directs FLUID past certain holes and passages in the valve body that in turn set off solenoids that control the shifts.If you do this manually or let it do it on its own there is no difference. When you "squack" in a gear, that usually means the trans has locked up solid and the noise you hear is the tires stopping for a split second. Not good.
Also, the longer you hold a gear like 1st or 2nd in a high rev, the hotter it gets. Not good.
In simplicity, you can drive your car M4 style and as long as you don't hold it in a low gear at a higher rev too long, you're OK. No harm done. Neutral or reverse drops are hard on the trans and you'll be buying a new one in no time!
The whole point to an auot trans is FUEL ECONOMY! It will shift at points it thinks is better for low fuel consumption. Just like an M6 goes from 1st to 4th at low RPM shifts.
As for the track, the PCM is set up so you don't over rev your engine. Mash the pedal to the ground and hold on. It will shift at 6 thou RPM for you without you accedently shifting into "N"! .....OUCH.
The A4,... mans friend in not missing a gear and bending pushrods!
Old 12-17-2003, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

At the track it would be pointless...you defiantly cant shift faster than the comp...why did you get an A4 if you want to shift your car manually?

Wes
Old 12-17-2003, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Wes don't worry, there's no way I'd ever do this at the track (I don't race anyway). The reason I'd shift from 3rd to 4th merging onto the highway is that sometimes the car would go into 4th (overdrive) too soon, and then i'd have to mash the pedal again to kick it back into 3rd. I wouldn't be doing any of this at WOT mind you. But after reading the posts it seems much safer just to keep it in D and let the PCM do the work. Better safe than sorry right!
Old 12-18-2003, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onebadz
At the track it would be pointless...you defiantly cant shift faster than the PCM...why did you get an A4 if you want to shift your car manually?

Wes
because Houston Traffic is a BITCH!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 07:45 AM
11 Second Club

I hate this site..........go off of what I said because not one person on this site knows more about the LS1 then my friend. He is the reason my car is in the 12s, and our fastest local car is getting into the 9s.

He is a master at LS1 edit, and tuned my car to outshift any M6 tranny. For christ sake I chirp 3rd in an auto.

Plane and simple, it isn't bad, just don't shift down, nor shft into a lower gear with the foot mashed to the floor. That will be almost as hard on the tranny as neutral droping. Not a good idea. The thing about heat is entirely true, keeping it in gear is bad for the tranny because it creates heat. That is why I said with a tans cooler it is OK.

If any of you are interested in why this man knows so much about the LS1, and tunes cars all across the US, and why a man in Australia sent him his car on a boat to tune go to his site. PM for it, he isn't a sponsor so keep it on the DL.

This site seems to be getting worse and worse.....non of you all have any real proof of what you say other then the fact you can type it. Most of what I said is directly from the mouth of my friend who has tuned GM cars for 4-5 (His father has since 1986) years, and mainly the LS1. In his time he has mastered the art of PCM tunning, and how the LS1 works........
Old 12-18-2003, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HK2328
2001 Whiteis it safer to get off the gas before shifting into D?
I don't know much about auto trannies and shifting them manually but the way i do it has to be the safest way of doing it. Never shift your auto at WOT or with high RPMs. If you know you are getting on the highway just shift it into the gear you want before you make it onto the highway. Everyone has different opinions on this subject but i'd much rather not shift my auto manually.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh and please get a 3500+ TC. It will f'in rock!!! The TC will give you better performance then the longtubes and will be a bit cheaper then longtubes. I'd say get a TC 1st before longtubes. Make sure you get a tranny cooler as well.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Damn dude, looks like I started a big *** debate!! 2001 White, yep, I'm hoping to get a converter right around Christmas, I want to see what kind of funds I'll be receiving . By the way, how streetable is the 3500?? I don't really intend on bringing the car to the track, I just want the power at my feet for those nice little challenges on the street.