New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"A true SS is a Z28 that came out from SLP" True or False ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question "A true SS is a Z28 that came out from SLP" True or False ?

Just something I found on YouTube, read on below the video commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC9yF4I2Vh4&feature=grec

While I absolutely love my black '02 SS, The red SS looked cool as well.

I don't want to be confused with Z28's being transformed to SS models from SLP per say from the YouTube poster. I thought the badged SS models from Chevrolet were delivered straight to SLP only for upgrading but I might be wrong. If there is any misinformation then lets discuss this please? Thanks!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but here are the facts:

An SS was first a Z28, which was then converted by SLP. If the car is a "base" SS, it will have both the Z28 and WU8 (SS) RPOs on the SPID sticker on the driver's door. If the car has additional SLP options beyond the basic (standard) components of an SS, then you will see one more RPO in addition to Z28 and WU8, and that will be Y2Y. And if you have Y2Y options, you should also have a supplemental equpitment sticker on the driver's door stating that additional modifications have been performed by SLP.

So, all in all, no matter how many options your SS has or doesn't have, it is in fact a Z28 that was converted by SLP; they all are.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

SLP first converted LS1 cars into SS models in 1996 and 1997. In 1998, GM decided to use SLP parts in house to make the SS. The SS was a GM option and done in house...but was an option on top of Z28.

SLP did not see the cars unless they were ordered with other SLP options such as intake, exhaust, embroidered floor mats, chrome wheels, etc.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your black SS wouldn't necessarily be a "35th Anniversary" SS, albeit the fact that the dash plaque has those exact words. In 2002 they offered a 35th Anniversary package - the same one as seen in that video clip. All "35th Anniversary SS" cars are red with silver stripes, with 35th anniversary machine-faced wheels, embroidered seats, and a few other goodies. This package was $2500 more than a normal SS. Then, on top of this, additional SLP options could be ordered (i.e. exhaust, suspension, differential, portfolio).

It does get confusing since GM decided to throw the "35th Anniversary Chevrolet Camaro" plaque onto all 'maros in 2002. But the real 35th Ann cars are described above, in a limited quantity of 3000 units to the U.S. and 369 to Canada.

Originally Posted by SuperSport346
SLP first converted LS1 cars into SS models in 1996 and 1997. In 1998, GM decided to use SLP parts in house to make the SS. The SS was a GM option and done in house...but was an option on top of Z28.

SLP did not see the cars unless they were ordered with other SLP options such as intake, exhaust, embroidered floor mats, chrome wheels, etc.
The '96 and '97 Camaro's would be LT1's. Also, I'm not entirely sure on the second piece of information you're providing. I was under the impression that after a Z28 coupe was made and slated to be an SS car, it was shipped to SLP in New Jersey with a temporary (cardboard?) hood and spoiler. From there, SLP would mount the SS spoiler and fiberglass hood onto the cars. Any additional SLP options would subsequently be installed.

You could be right about GM doing them in-house, though.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Bronx Bull
Your black SS wouldn't necessarily be a "35th Anniversary" SS, albeit the fact that the dash plaque has those exact words. In 2002 they offered a 35th Anniversary package - the same one as seen in that video clip. All "35th Anniversary SS" cars are red with silver stripes, with 35th anniversary machine-faced wheels, embroidered seats, and a few other goodies. This package was $2500 more than a normal SS. Then, on top of this, additional SLP options could be ordered (i.e. exhaust, suspension, differential, portfolio).

It does get confusing since GM decided to throw the "35th Anniversary Chevrolet Camaro" plaque onto all 'maros in 2002. But the real 35th Ann cars are described above, in a limited quantity of 3000 units to the U.S. and 369 to Canada.

The '96 and '97 Camaro's would be LT1's. Also, I'm not entirely sure on the second piece of information you're providing. I was under the impression that after a Z28 coupe was made and slated to be an SS car, it was shipped to SLP in New Jersey with a temporary (cardboard?) hood and spoiler. From there, SLP would mount the SS spoiler and fiberglass hood onto the cars. Any additional SLP options would subsequently be installed.

You could be right about GM doing them in-house, though.
Everything I've ever read has told me that it was done in house by GM, although I could be wrong.

And isn't the 35th Anniversary Edition you're talking about called the Collector's Edition? That's what I like to call it since it gets confusing...
Old 02-24-2010, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

I know Wikipedia isn't the best source, and it could still be wrong, but it says:
The SS continued for 1998, producing 320 hp (239 kW) (these cars now being produced by GM in house, with production code WU8)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...ration%29#1998
Old 02-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP. the fact is that all SS are Z28's, whether they went to SLP or not is a different story. Now try to figure out the Firebird hierarchy...
Old 02-25-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Everything I've ever read has told me that it was done in house by GM, although I could be wrong.

And isn't the 35th Anniversary Edition you're talking about called the Collector's Edition? That's what I like to call it since it gets confusing...
It was never "officially" called anything but the "35th Anniversary Package," but it has since been come to be known as the "35th Anniversary LE" or "Limited Edition." Not sure where this phrase was coined.

But generally speaking, a 35th Anniversary Camaro refers to those with Bright Rally Red and Silver stripes!

And honestly, after reading the OP's post again, I have no idea what he is even asking. Perhaps he can clarify.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:47 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

And honestly, after reading the OP's post again, I have no idea what he is even asking. Perhaps he can clarify.
My thoughts as well.

Isn't SLP able to provide build numbers for each year of SS models, regardless of Y2Y options? If so, how could they do that if GM was doing the standard SS models in-house.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was never "officially" called anything but the "35th Anniversary Package," but it has since been come to be known as the "35th Anniversary LE" or "Limited Edition." Not sure where this phrase was coined.

But generally speaking, a 35th Anniversary Camaro refers to those with Bright Rally Red and Silver stripes!

Don't all 2002's have a 35th anniversary "plaque" on the console. I thought Limited Edition was the proper venacular for the BRR, striped SS's.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i beleive the true title for an ss is, z28/ss. ss is just a performance/appearance package. but yes they are still z28's
Old 02-25-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Wrong, plain and simple. They ALL went to SLP. Every damn one of them

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
And if you have Y2Y options, you should also have a supplemental equpitment sticker on the driver's door stating that additional modifications have been performed by SLP.
Its on the passenger door, not the driver.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by justin455
Don't all 2002's have a 35th anniversary "plaque" on the console. I thought Limited Edition was the proper venacular for the BRR, striped SS's.
Yes, all 2002s have the anniversary plaque on the dash.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:55 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Haha!! Good catch. Guess I still had the SPID sticker on my mind when I wrote that.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
i beleive the true title for an ss is, z28/ss. ss is just a performance/appearance package. but yes they are still z28's
They were badged that way for the '96 cars
Old 02-25-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Haha!! Good catch. Guess I still had the SPID sticker on my mind when I wrote that.
The only reason i know this to be true is bc mine has it I have seen it live and in the flesh.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Wrong, plain and simple. They ALL went to SLP. Every damn one of them

X2

How in 2010 can people still be confused about this?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

During the auto show in Toronto in Feb 2000, I was talking to an GM employee (Raphael)about the Camaro on display and my intentions to purchase one in the near future. After mentioning that the ST. Therese assembly plant (outside Montreal, Quebec) no longer gave tours to the public due to security concerns, this employee offered to give me and my father a tour on his day off and we exchanged phone numbers!!! To make a long story short, we got a tour of the assembly plant AND Raphael arranged for a tour of the SLP facility by SLP's marketing (I think) guy, Umberto. The SLP assembly plant was in La Chine, another suburb of Montreal, about 15 miles (25km) away. Here, they took off the z28 steel hood, dented it, removed the wheels, exhaust suspension etc and either put standard SS/WS6 options or the additional, extra cost options. After April 2000, I don't know if in-house refers to relocating the SLP site (unlikely) or GM employees doing the final install, perhaps, as apposed to SLP? I could probably find out for sure later.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

OP here. Just for clarification I was referring to the post made by the YouTube poster ( revo ) after watching the video on YouTube.com that several thousand Z28's were sent to SLP to become an SS.

My newbie question was thoroughly answered. Yes, I still wondered about the difference between the Z28's vs the SS even 10 yrs ago! Thanks for making it easier for me to identify them besides the plaques and badges.

I do have the SLP stickers on each door and will be looking for the codes you guys provided and see what they mean altogether after I return from business. I been stranded in western NY from the monster storm but I know for a fact my SS is cozy in a garage. Can't wait to drive it this Spring!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pewter2002
During the auto show in Toronto in Feb 2000, I was talking to an GM employee (Raphael)about the Camaro on display and my intentions to purchase one in the near future. After mentioning that the ST. Therese assembly plant (outside Montreal, Quebec) no longer gave tours to the public due to security concerns, this employee offered to give me and my father a tour on his day off and we exchanged phone numbers!!! To make a long story short, we got a tour of the assembly plant AND Raphael arranged for a tour of the SLP facility by SLP's marketing (I think) guy, Umberto. The SLP assembly plant was in La Chine, another suburb of Montreal, about 15 miles (25km) away. Here, they took off the z28 steel hood, dented it, removed the wheels, exhaust suspension etc and either put standard SS/WS6 options or the additional, extra cost options. After April 2000, I don't know if in-house refers to relocating the SLP site (unlikely) or GM employees doing the final install, perhaps, as apposed to SLP? I could probably find out for sure later.
Why would you dent a perfectly good hood??

Quick Reply: "A true SS is a Z28 that came out from SLP" True or False ?