New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost my key :(

Old 03-14-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not necessary to pay for a new ignition/resistor bypass or anything similar. Go to the dealership, give them your VIN number and proof of ownership, and they can look up which of the 15 or so resistors belongs in the key. Then you will have your key made, simple as that.

I'm sure the prices vary at Chevy dealerships around the country, but I can tell you that the going rate for both the door and ignition key was $28.00 at DeNooyer Chevrolet - this being less than a month ago.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffs93z28
I have lost keys, not to a camaro, but I gave the dealership my vin and they said it has a key code in it and cut me a set of keys. I didnt have no key to copy and it wasnt that much, i dont remeber how much but it wasnt high or i would remember.
Most keys (double sided keys) can be cut by the VIN but alot of older cars cannot have keys cut by ythe VIN. Mostly the single sided keys. That one of the reasons why you have a seperate ign and door key.

On new cars when you buy a new ign lock cylinder you can change the tumblers and keep the original key. On older ign lock cylinders (single sided key) they come with a new key. In the case of a car with a pellet in the key (old ign style) you get a new key with the lock cylinder but it has no pellet. you then have to buy seperate key with pellet and have it cut using the key that came with the cylinder. This is the way I've always done it at the two dealers I worked.

Some dealers can't even buts keys by the VIN because they don't have the proper clearence. They are very strict on what is need to do so because of liability.

The OP may get lucky and as long as the cylinder hasn't been changed before he may be able to get a key cut by VIN. With proper ID. I was gonna call my dealer to check if a key could be made for my car from the VIN but they are closed on SUN. Monday the OP will find out and hoefully it can be done by VIN and then I'll call my parts guy and call him a retard.

I was just perparing him and letting him know if he has to go the other route how to go about doing so.

Last edited by 98PurpleT/A; 03-14-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camaro981289
Thank you Sir, Hard to believe she's gone but her time just came. That sounds like a better idea than taking apart the steering column! As long as it doesnt rain tomorrow i should be good since i left my passenger window cracked a bit and i guess price just depends on the dealership and i figured 30-50 bucks is what it would take. Thanks alot guys you have all been very helpful and kind.
lol to show all of you how bad my luck is..."As long as it doesnt rain tomorrow i should be good since i left my passenger window cracked a bit" i guess i jinxed myself lol because it rained outside and my window was actually rolled down half way so my door panel got soaked seriously im ready for this horrible weekend to be over. Ill let you guys know what they tell me at the cheevy dealer.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Well i went to the dealership to ask if they could make the key. They have one in stock and they are gonna charge me $30.00 for the key and $20.00 to look up the stupid code and for the trunk and door key like 6 bucks so i am looking at a grand total of 62.99. and he told me that if someone changed the lock cylinder before that my keys will not work and that the key is non-refundable once they cut it. Im going to call the lock smith and see what he would charge me because honestly 20 bucks is rediculous just to look up a stupid code but either way i need them to drive the car. right now im debating weather to go purchase the keys or call the lock smith. The dealers in this damn town are blood thirsty and just want to steal peoples money. And their customer service isnt very friendly.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i went to the dealership to ask if they could make the key. They have one in stock and they are gonna charge me $30.00 for the key and $20.00 to look up the stupid code and for the trunk and door key like 6 bucks so i am looking at a grand total of 62.99. and he told me that if someone changed the lock cylinder before that my keys will not work and that the key is non-refundable once they cut it. Im going to call the lock smith and see what he would charge me because honestly 20 bucks is rediculous just to look up a stupid code but either way i need them to drive the car. right now im debating weather to go purchase the keys or call the lock smith. The dealers in this damn town are blood thirsty and just want to steal peoples money. And their customer service isnt very friendly.

Just pay the freaking money. Chances are, only the dealer can look it up by the VIN number.

Might as well get it done RIGHT the first time.

A locksmith can easily duplicate the key. You're stuck with the dealer on this one.

And 63$ ain't bad for replacement.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OMGWTFBODY

Just pay the freaking money. Chances are, only the dealer can look it up by the VIN number.

Might as well get it done RIGHT the first time.

A locksmith can easily duplicate the key. You're stuck with the dealer on this one.

And 63$ ain't bad for replacement.
i paid the freaking money...i got the freaking key! And i was planning on buying it from the dealer anyway lol i was just a little scared that maybe the previous owners might of changed the ignition cylinder. It really wasnt about who was cheapest i just didnt want to buy a key from GM and find out that it didnt work and have to pay a locksmith to change out the cylinder and for another key. But the first guy i talked to was charging me 30 sumthin for the key and 20 for the Security code retrieval. the guy i talked to the second time charged me 23.95 for the key and 19.71 for the code...came out to 47 bucks with tax...the first guy was going to charge me 63. So i saved 15 bucks. I also asked him if they could give me the code incase next time i needed it and he said that he couldnt because he would get in trouble and that it was illegal...but he said now its saved on the system and that next time i went in they would only charge me for the key. Im just glad i got that resolved! So 98PurpleT/A...feel free to call your parts guy and call him a retard now lol.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Smile

So 98PurpleT/A...feel free to call your parts guy and call him a retard now lol.
LOL I will call him tomorrow he is not there today.

I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Yep im glad i got it all figured out now. Now i can sleep peacefully knowing ill be driving my car in the morning. The whole weekend without it sucked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lost my key :(