New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beat My Traffic Violation

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It helps to know some cops.. I give Merchant Marine exams to the NJ State poilce. I was leaving Atco, N.J. about 1.5 years ago and when I left a toll booth leaving Atco race park in my 94 Z28(12.41@110) some guy in a C5 pulled up beside me and wanted to race. Well I pulled the C5 up past 135 before I let off. About 3 miles down I-95 a NJ State Trooper came up behind me and pulled me over. First thing out of the troopers mouth was "Listen" I'm not even going to mess around with you! I saw you & the Vette. Then asked how fast I got it up to. I said I never looked down. He paused for a second & I said yeah I work pretty close the the NJ State police Marine Patrol. I then told him how I gave exams to them & he said ok listen I don't want to screw that up & gave me a written warning for speeding & said have a nice day
I said yes sir
Old 01-15-2004, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by johnboy
same here... got a reckless & a following too close and my court date is Jan. 26. Im gonna go not guilty and get a lawyer cause there's no way in hell i can afford insurance if that goes on. I was just driving fast and switched multiple lanes. How many people have gotten lucky with getting out of reckless tickets??
This actually applies to just about everyone who gets a ticket, so listen up. Just showing up is half the game......plead not guilty and the judge almost always lowers the fine and/or drops points (both good). Another thing. In some states, changing lanes without using blinker IS NOT an offense. Here in Maryland, you only have to use blinker when changing direction, not changing lanes. Also, make the officer recall details, not just what he wrote down. Ask him how traffic was that day, If he passed any cars to get you for speeding. If he answers moderate to the first and no to the second, guess what? You just won. This tells the judge that you were simply "keeping up with traffic." HEHE. Oh yeah, one little trick that works in the Great State of Maryland. When you get your ticket (only neccesary when points are also issued) mail in the exact fine plus 1 dollar. 500 fine....send in 501. The reason for this is simple. They send you back a check for the extra dollar, but you dont cash it. So the case never closes and the points are never put on your license and insurance doesnt go up.
If anyone has any other questions about tickets, or any other traffic law email me at kjmdrumz3@aol.com
Old 01-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Launching!

You guys sound lucky. Stay out of texas. nouf said.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Drew98TA
You guys sound lucky. Stay out of texas. nouf said.

Oh and someone earlier asked about "no lo", it means "nolo contendre," no contest FYI from a law student.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Teching In

I have a ticket story!!!! I was just cruising around and i had this little ricer to my left wanting a piece of the Z and a white chevy truck to my right. I would never waste the gas on a ricer that i knew would have no chance in the world so......i just continued to mind my business (i have the dreaded lead foot mind u) i guess we were all speeding. So any way next thing i know the truck and i are getting pulled over and the ricer was never bothered. The guy in the truck and i got DRAG RACING TICKETS.... I thought it was the biggest crock of **** but what could i do. I went to court the ticket was dropped after my driving improvement class. It just really bugged me that the ricer, the one that was most guilty was left alone. Oh ya i think the cop would have let me go if he hadnt stopped the truck also. When he walked up to the car he was in complete astonishment to see that it was a cute girl driving. Then he got to talking about his SS. I totally know what its like to get into a way unfair situation.

Jenna
Old 01-15-2004, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kjmdrumz3
Oh yeah, one little trick that works in the Great State of Maryland. When you get your ticket (only neccesary when points are also issued) mail in the exact fine plus 1 dollar. 500 fine....send in 501. The reason for this is simple. They send you back a check for the extra dollar, but you dont cash it. So the case never closes and the points are never put on your license and insurance doesnt go up.
If anyone has any other questions about tickets, or any other traffic law email me at kjmdrumz3@aol.com
This was "proven false" on a TV news program around a year ago.Whatever that is worth.I also asked my friends wife who works for the county clerk here. She told me they just keep the extra or send you a checkit depends on the overage. It means nothing to them if you cash it or not. Besides they are only valid for 90days in my county.

Have you done this yourself or are you passing along information?

thanks
Old 01-15-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by seabassz28
I went to court this morining for a "laying drags" violation. After waiting for about 2 hours I was finally seen. The judge asked my plea. Of course I pleaded not guilty. The officer was then asked to tell his accounts of the my actions. He blatantly lied. He told the judge I ran a red light and then right infront of him started to roll my tires. I told the judge the truth about what happened. The Judge said the truth was somewhere in the middle of our two stories. He asked about my previous record I told him I hadn't had a ticket since 98. The judge asked me what type of car I had I said camaro, He said z28, I said yes, He had a huge smile on his face and dismissed the ticket. He told me to keep it between the lines next time. I guess he was a Bowtie man. I was so happy everone else in the courtroom was losing there cases.
Moral: I fought the law...... and I won.
So, what really happened that day?
Old 01-15-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

always pays to fight certain tickets.also pays to try and get out of them too.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lerajie
This was "proven false" on a TV news program around a year ago.Whatever that is worth.I also asked my friends wife who works for the county clerk here. She told me they just keep the extra or send you a checkit depends on the overage. It means nothing to them if you cash it or not. Besides they are only valid for 90days in my county.

Have you done this yourself or are you passing along information?

thanks
Maybe its just AA County then, but my brother has done it. They may have changed this procedure since, and I have never gotten any tickets (not that I dont speed, but the power of a badge does help ) Like I said, this may not even work anymore but it used to. Also, if the officer got you with RADAR or LIDAR (laser-based speed measurement) they are supposed to (not required) to have certification papers with them. Many folks think they must have "Calibration Papers" with them. This is entirely false. The LIDAR calibrates itself, and RADAR is calibrated with a tuning fork (which is included as instruction in certification)
Oh Yeah. Best way to get out of anything is SHOW UP!!!!! Not only may the fine and/or points be reduced, but if you dont show up, they may suspend the vehicles registration and issue a pick-up order for the tags. NOT GOOD. SHOW UP!!!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 02:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

congrats man!! way to go
Old 01-16-2004, 03:20 AM
On The Tree

damn i got a wreckless for chirping my tires through an intersection, but what is funny is it was impossible, my tranny was goin out and i could barely get my car to move (tranny went out a few days later) and the judge hates me cause i dated his daughter and broke up with her in high school. And another guy got a ticket for chirping his tires, but his clutch went out and he had to rip through the gears without using the clutch. If that aint some chit i dont know what is
Old 01-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Teching In

I got one 2 weeks ago for 93 in a 70. DPS pulled me and my son over and thanked me for landing for him (aircraft joke). Asked me where I was going and the usual questions. Course I couldn't lie to him when I had an igloo cooler in the backseat and my 15lb NOS bottle's valve sticking out the top on ice (Not like he couldn't see it, the car being a convertible and the top being down). Course I have been on the other end and stopped for going over 90 and since I didn't have a radar detector in the car, the DPS just gave me warning and let me go.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

man, this kind of stuff will NEVER happen to me...
Old 01-16-2004, 03:57 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

warngings? i get none i get total ******! 101 in a 65 two weeks ago.....in the rain...im fighting it,i was speeding but not 101 specially in the rain.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Well I got a racing ticket (engaging in speed contest) Cop flew by me pulled the other guy over .. as he flew by me i made a quick left i didnt think he was pulling me over but anyhow he stoped the other guy made him throw his keys to him threw the window... then came after me ... i had turned down the street and hit the gas i was really far down the street and when i saw his lights i stopped..... But then he took my liscense and made me follow back to the other guy!!!! ****** horrible .... then my public defender had no clue what i should do so i plead guilty and got 2 years probation ... 30 day liscense suspension and a $1282 fine ... never street race again .... and iam lucky my car didnt get impounded!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 01-16-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fred99LS1
It helps to know some cops.. I give Merchant Marine exams to the NJ State poilce. I was leaving Atco, N.J. about 1.5 years ago and when I left a toll booth leaving Atco race park in my 94 Z28(12.41@110) some guy in a C5 pulled up beside me and wanted to race. Well I pulled the C5 up past 135 before I let off. About 3 miles down I-95 a NJ State Trooper came up behind me and pulled me over. First thing out of the troopers mouth was "Listen" I'm not even going to mess around with you! I saw you & the Vette. Then asked how fast I got it up to. I said I never looked down. He paused for a second & I said yeah I work pretty close the the NJ State police Marine Patrol. I then told him how I gave exams to them & he said ok listen I don't want to screw that up & gave me a written warning for speeding & said have a nice day
I said yes sir

NJ doesn't just let people go especially after that. You got off, damn your lucky and THANK GOD I never got pulled over by those bastards.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

Originally Posted by johnboy
same here... got a reckless & a following too close and my court date is Jan. 26. Im gonna go not guilty and get a lawyer cause there's no way in hell i can afford insurance if that goes on. I was just driving fast and switched multiple lanes. How many people have gotten lucky with getting out of reckless tickets??

I did bout a month ago man, i was in nashville TN, in down town and this turbo AWD car pulled up beside me in my TA, with my buddy on the other side in his TA but i didnt see this cop on the side of the road watching everything we was doin! So when the light turned green me and the other car took off racing and then we split later down the road and then i pulled out again and turned it sideways and the cop seen me well he pulled me over man this guy was mad as hell he talked **** to me and wrote me for a reckless ticket and on top of that give me a racing ticket i was bout to fuc*in die so when we went to court the judge asked bout the racing ticket and i told him that the guy threw a beer bottle at my car and i was trying to chase him down and see what his prob was and he bought it then he asked bout the reckless and i said that i was just pissed off that the guy threw a beet bottle at my car and hit it and he must have got laid the night before because he looked at me and said well u have to take a 2 HR. driving school and ull be ok i said alright sir and i was gone HAHAHA
Old 01-18-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

while back got pulled over for wreckless lane changes and following too closely.... cop looked at my car told me to drive safe and have a good night. congrats by the way
Old 01-18-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Been There Done That !

I have been Street Racing for about 14 yrs. I have approx 1,500 Street runs and only been hit for 3 actual drag racing tickets. That is less than 1%. It sucks to go to court and pay all the fines. But considering the amount of fun I have had, I got off easy. Don't get me wrong I have paid my share to the courts and lost my license 3 times (mostly from points accumulation). Have I been Lucky or is it just Experience ? Probably a little of both plus alot of Stupidity.

Quick Reply: Beat My Traffic Violation