Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance mods, looking to the future of a power adder

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Performance mods, looking to the future of a power adder

I have a mostly stock 2002 Z-28. It was the SLP intake and smooth baffle, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, and a Hurst short throw shifter. I plan to use it as a daily driver on a short commute until late fall, where I will retire it to a fun car and garage it for the winter and drive my Jeep.

I'm not a stranger to modifying cars, but this is my first LS1 based vehicle and is probably faster in its current state than any of my previous cars by a good bit.

I was contemplating what direction I wanted to head as far as performance modifications are concerned, but knew I wanted somewhere in the range of 500-600 flywheel horsepower while being reasonably well mannered on the street. At first I was thinking heads/cam/intake + bolt ons to get that, but I started leaning towards keeping the internal engine closer to stock for now (still low miles) and using a power adder such as a supercharger or turbocharger and the necessary supporting mods to bump the power up.

That being said, I would like to do a few more "simple" mods to gain a little extra power between now and then, as I'm basically stock now. My first thought was headers and Y pipe, but if I decide to go with a turbo kit I probably won't be needing those.

I guess what I'm looking for is a few mods with a good "return on investment" that would be usable if/when I decide to do forced induction.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would figure out what direction you want to go first. Otherwise you will end up buying things you wont need down the road. I would do a bunch of reading on this site and put together a goal and then work towards that goal.

That being said if you want 500-600hp then you will need to upgrade the rear end, fuel system, tires, etc no matter what route you go.