New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine light due to headers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light due to headers...

i'm looking into several trans ams trying to find the right one and i found one that is reasonably priced however, the CEL is on due to the installation of headers [The check engine light is on because of the AIR Injection and EGR have removed because of the headers]

is this something i should be weary of? or is there a way to fix this and still keep the headers. what are my options?
Old 05-07-2010, 05:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

normal. it probably wasnt tuned. bring it to to somone that can take those codes out.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:14 AM
Teching In

cool, can this be done w/ one of those obd 2 scanners @ autozone that erases the codes?
Old 05-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Travis873o
cool, can this be done w/ one of those obd 2 scanners @ autozone that erases the codes?
ya, they can turn the light off but wont be long till she comes back on. You will need to tune them out on your pcm, i believe some handheld tuners can do this. Great idea to throw it on the obd 2 scanner and see what else is possibly wrong. If its only the o2's or air system throwing the light then you could just live with the light being on.. wont hurt nothing. IMO, get ob2 scanned to see what is actually triggering the light then send then pcm away for a tune and get the 02's and air system shut down for good. Youll be killing two birds with one stone and gaing some hp's in the process!! good luck
Old 05-07-2010, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Nope, but Frost can help you out.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this something i should be weary of? or is there a way to fix this and still keep the headers. what are my options?
No this is not something you should be weary of.

No those scanners only scan and delete the codes, but not for good. If you want to delete the codes completely from the system you will need a tuning program like HP tuners. Or find someone else to do it for you.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have the car scanned and be sure that is the code. Don't take the seller's word for it. If it comes back as a AIR system code or bank 1 or 2 sensor 2 codes, then you should be fine. It's easy enough to have someone tune that stuff out. If it it something else turning the SES light on it maybe be a little more involved to get it fixed. You can always call us with the codes it has and we can tell you want it is or send us the ECU and we can delete the codes for you.

Jon
Old 05-07-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This one's an easy fix!

First, confirm the codes with an OBD II scanner. Assuming its the AIR system codes then almost any tuner can delete the codes from the PCM.

Quick Reply: check engine light due to headers...