Sponsored by:

newbie mod mistakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 07:07 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by APeteSS
Tighten up suspension and chassis FIRST! The f-body chassis isn't even designed to effectively handle and put down 330 stock horsepower, so make that your first priority.
ya, thats another mistake i made, i went engine and exhuast first and now am doing suspsension and chassis last . i'd of gone the other way around if i could do it again.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp
what are some that you have made. mine would have to be buying that stupid *** SLP flow pac before i really knew anything about ls1's :o. i payed 320 bucks for that damn thing. i've come along way since then .

if i new what i know now i'd of gone with a tsp/direct flow lid, FTRA, and the fernco mod.

I paid attention on here and did those mods first and they were $$$$
well spent..u can pick them all up used in great condition for less than half the retail price except 4 the fernco new at 6 bucks
Old 01-26-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasted cash on a K&N...worst POS evar! I bought a set of C5 rims for my car and am already wanting to go with different wheels (weight and stance). I got hi-temp gasket maker all over my MAC headers when blocking off my EGR and AIR ports. I'm on the fence about my external fuel pump...I'm thinking in-tank may have been a better deal.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

I don't regret my mods...yes i did not get ALL of the LISTED gains from SLP but i didnt expect exactness...however, i got a good amount outa the performance mods i do have...many people dont think its easy to believe......i guess my car just was made for these parts
Old 01-27-2004, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

flowmaster muffler, SLP y-pipe and edelbrock shorty headers and HPP3, all of those things were a waste of money , dont use any of them anymore
Old 01-27-2004, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Supertuner from Microchips - waste
Poly/rubber LCA's - waste
GMAF - waste
Pace Z06 MAF - waste, using stock with screen now
Bellows - waste
LSS - waste with Hurst shifter
Global West LCA's - super waste
RAM clutch - waste, lasted 10K miles
Z06 clutch - waste, lasted 8K miles
SLP y-pipe - waste
!EGR mod - waste, ended up heli-coiling the damn LS1 intake after sucking in 2 EGR o-rings
Bosch plugs - waste of $50!

I spent WAY too much cash on stoopid mods, learned the hard way. Hopefully people will learn from me; I bought a ton in 98-00 when the boards were new and the hype was on for the LS1

Love my setup now though, serious serious corner carver with excellent power.

I
Old 01-27-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

-Buying mods before reading the rules of my racing class
-BMR driveshaft loop that never fit
-Ordering the Bilstein suspension with the car instead of the 1LE

Some days I wish I had the formula, some days I'm glad I have the T/A
Old 01-28-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My mistake

Buying a 2000 Trans Am instead of an Enzo Ferrari. Oh, and pretty much every mod I've done to my car, except an aftermarket hood and BG Ram Air. Not alot of Maple Red Metallic Ram airs though, i've only seen one other one and it was on the web.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

TTT, this could be a good sticky
Old 09-06-2004, 10:26 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 09-06-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Buying shorties instead of going with LT's
Old 09-06-2004, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

Where do I begin...hmmmm
1)Put on a Flowmaster- then 2 weeks later put in a magnaflow catback.
2)Whisper Lid- poor fit and cracked - have a K&N FIPK now.
3)SLP intake temp tricker thing- lowered my 1/4 mile times.
4)SLP smooth belows- didn't bend good and fit bad
5)Vararam throttle body smooth insert- melted to my throttle body after 2 weeks.
6)Clear corners-look great when not fogged-took them out today and around where turn signal bulb goes in was warped from bulb heat.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spark plug wires - zero performance gain and all of the stock wires ohmed out good after 96000 original miles. more of an appearance mod.

Aluminized cat-back - the previous owner bought this, but it looks like **** now with all the rust

Whisper lid? - don't know which brand cause the previous owner got it, but it cracked with the stock accordian bellows on it. Good mod, bad quality.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

bought flowmaster -lost power- then sold it - with two 3inch SS tips- to then purchase loudmouth.

took car to get preventive maintence, when everything was runnning fine.

bowtie tips, they don't look good on Camaros, but good on lowriders.

putting on ugly decals, that were to big and flashy.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude, I tried that Tornado thing, and it just didn't work... WTF?!

Then I bought that electric supercharger thingy on eBay, and I didn't notice anything either... it said an additional 250+ CFM!

J/K I haven't made any mistakes on my Camaro yet... I've learned with other cars what works well and what doesn't.

AMW Catch can rocks... I'm saving to buy Dynatech Supermaxx headers and an exhaust that actually FLOWS (Wish previous owner would have skipped the flows) like GMMG, or I'll make my own duals
Old 09-07-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Not using the search button before posting.
hypertech programmer. lost power.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

I see some people posting it but i think it would help if everyone added WHY it was a mistake.

I read for a month on here before i bought the car. Then i searched and asked many questions before i did anything to my car. So that i would waste money. I had previously wasted money on a import then i realized it couldnt ever be a v8. I Also realized that most fords suck compared to a fbodys. I started to by an 01 cobra and then started reading facts. (Just in case any pre 03 mustang guys are reading.)

Only mistake I have made was getting the fernco smooth bellow. It doesnt fit well and doesnt flex when the motor shifts. I broke my clear lid in several places before i figured out the bellow is neglibable.

Just wondering whats wrong w/ descreening the maf? I have read many times its ok as long as you dont port it or break the sensors.

I dont think the lm+ory+headers was a mistake, i mean im after hp not sound, I do plan on getting a bullet to help the sound a bit tho.

The only reason i bought the k&n filter is because the red looked good thru the clear lid.

And thanks to jrp and a few others for encouraging me to at least TRY and do my mods myself first. I saved A LOT of money and gained A LOT of experience by installing headers and gears myself and so far no problem at all. Before this car i had never even changed my oil or spark plugs

1 MAJOR mistake i think i have made it not getting a STOCK dyno and track time. I now have both and have no idea where i started and how far i have come.

I would suggest if possible get both of these before even the free mods.

Last edited by Tiger2o69; 09-07-2004 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

If I could do it again I absolutely would not touch the car...... Leave it totally stock. Ya sure I make more power and its fast as hell, but I now have an engine that is embarising to listen to..... Sounds like a sewing machine. It also smokes and uses oil like crazy. I put a clutch and rear in it and soon after fried my tranny. The car just sits there with all theese upgrades and I hate it, hate it, hate it. Other things too that I dont like are whinny *** 4.11's and a cam that surges even after a good tune. Ya beleive me hind sight is 20-20. I would never ruin a perfectly good car again....... what a waste of money
Old 09-07-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
I see some people posting it but i think it would help if everyone added WHY it was a mistake.

I read for a month on here before i bought the car. Then i searched and asked many questions before i did anything to my car. So that i would waste money. I had previously wasted money on a import then i realized it couldnt ever be a v8. I Also realized that most fords suck compared to a fbodys. I started to by an 01 cobra and then started reading facts. (Just in case any pre 03 mustang guys are reading.)

Only mistake I have made was getting the fernco smooth bellow. It doesnt fit well and doesnt flex when the motor shifts. I broke my clear lid in several places before i figured out the bellow is neglibable.

Just wondering whats wrong w/ descreening the maf? I have read many times its ok as long as you dont port it or break the sensors.

I dont think the lm+ory+headers was a mistake, i mean im after hp not sound, I do plan on getting a bullet to help the sound a bit tho.

The only reason i bought the k&n filter is because the red looked good thru the clear lid.

And thanks to jrp and a few others for encouraging me to at least TRY and do my mods myself first. I saved A LOT of money and gained A LOT of experience by installing headers and gears myself and so far no problem at all. Before this car i had never even changed my oil or spark plugs

1 MAJOR mistake i think i have made it not getting a STOCK dyno and track time. I now have both and have no idea where i started and how far i have come.

I would suggest if possible get both of these before even the free mods.
AS FAR AS THE DESCREENED MAF METER I REMOVED MINE TO DO IT AND THERE WAS A COUPLE OF PIECES OF GRASS. ON MINE AND I HAVE ALWAYS RUN AN AIR FILTER. (THIS WAS BEFORE THE K&N FIPK BUT AFTER THE STOCK REPLACEMENT K&N)
Old 09-07-2004, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jeffws6
If I could do it again I absolutely would not touch the car...... Leave it totally stock. Ya sure I make more power and its fast as hell, but I now have an engine that is embarising to listen to..... Sounds like a sewing machine. It also smokes and uses oil like crazy. I put a clutch and rear in it and soon after fried my tranny. The car just sits there with all theese upgrades and I hate it, hate it, hate it. Other things too that I dont like are whinny *** 4.11's and a cam that surges even after a good tune. Ya beleive me hind sight is 20-20. I would never ruin a perfectly good car again....... what a waste of money
Kinda makes me think about leaving my car alone now.

Quick Reply: newbie mod mistakes