New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to this & need ? answered

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this & need ? answered

Not "up to "speed"" with tech performance on LS1 cars and looking for some help. My customer has '02 T.A. LS1 we are going to do some mods to. She will be driving car on street(not a whole lot) as well as local strips. She has mentioned she wants to launch better have better 60' times and of course et's. Planning on usuals(long tube hdrs, exh kit, tuner, MAF, Ram air, crank pulley, gears, t-stat, line lock kit, SLP 51016 cam w/dbl roller chain & gears springs lifters etc.) just at a loss what to use for converter so she gets "best of both worlds". Can anyone give me suggestions?
Thanks
Old 07-10-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The exact stall will be hard since we don't know what her driving pattern is like.
With that said, these cars LOVE a larger stall than the earlier gens.

I would say go with at least a 3.2k stall to knock down the short times while still having good street manners. I'm going with a 4k, but that's just me.

It will depend on the brand too.

The three brands that come to mind are
Yank
FTI
Circle D.

I've only sat in a car with an FTI and a Circle D, so I can't tell you my actual experience with Yank.
However the FTI and Circle D were sub 4k stall and hit hard *** **** when flashed, but had much better street manners than expected.

Also, would you please post up the specs of that cam so we can give you a better idea of a stall that would match that cam's profile?
You don't want to have too big or too small of a stall with the cam.
Oh, and gears are important when finding the right one too.

-Matt
Old 07-10-2010, 02:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,800 Likes on 1,282 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I would leave the stock gears alone, especially if it has the 3.23s. Gear swaps offer little gain on an auto trans LS1 car compared to a converter swap, and will only make traction more difficult. Plus, steady-speed cruising rpms will be better with stock gears.

For a stock cam, 3000-3500 would be a good stall choice providing great street manners while still hitting hard on launch. For anything up to a ~230° cam, 3500-4000 would be a good choice. For cams in the 230°+ range, I'd consider 4k to be the minimum stall for best performance. Of course, if street manners are the *primary* concern, then some performance will need to be sacrificed for better driveability.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

3600-4000 ...if the car has 273's i would address that as well...If you need to swap those I would go 373's if the car comes w/ 323's id leave them be.