Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about LS6-cheapest way to add 100whp

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about LS6-cheapest way to add 100whp

Actually looking at 100-130whp increase to compete with the newer CTS supercharged. I am new to the word of LS engines. I just bought a 2004 CTS V. I was looking around and I know that sometimes ported versions of the LS6 head seem to be an upgrade for the LSI. I know that there are a lot of combinations out there regarding heads an cam but I am wondering if I can take advantage of having a LS6. Obviously I know I will need headers and exhaust, I am certain I will need a hot cam, but I am wondering about the intake/throttle body, and heads specifically.

Not sure if I could just have my heads ported and better springs to match the cam or if I am better off buying some new ones. I was also wondering if someone takes the LS6 head in on trade if they sell ported versions. The other thing I am clueless about is what tuning is required later and how to manage that piece (I live in Western Michigan)

Suggestions or proven combinations that work would be appreciated. My car is a 6-speed (all of the CTS-V's were) and I believe it has a 373 rear end
Thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

To get 100hp out of it Full exhaust/cam/cai should get the job done or close to it anyways! With all that new found power your clutch will wanna commit suicide. I like your taste in cars pics would be nice to see this beaut!! Also a tune as well with the previous mentioned items!
Old 06-12-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

A nice 125 shot would do the trick juuuuuuuuust fine
Old 06-13-2010, 05:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full exhaust,underdrive pully,T&B,Cold air intake,tune and then go from there.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

exhaust, LT's, UDP, CAI, T/B, Intake manifold, and a 228r cam.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

exhaust, LT's, UDP, CAI, T/B, Intake manifold, and a 228r cam. Heads will lower the value of the car big time and Wi
Old 06-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vetteboy99
exhaust, LT's, UDP, CAI, T/B, Intake manifold, and a 228r cam. Heads will lower the value of the car big time and Wi
Can you tell me what LT's are? Now that I think about it a little bit, I am thinking that you are referring to long tube headers? Also, I thought mine had the bigger throttle body being the LS6. It looks pretty big but I have nothing to compare it to. Are you suggesting going with the FAST intake and 103mm throttle body? Do you really get much gain for the money? Also, who makes the 228r cam? Does it require a valve spring upgrade?

It seems like the consensus is that I can keep my stock heads the way they are. It would be nice not to have to remove them. Does anyone know how much difference porting makes? (obviously it is somewhat dependent on the port job but I am not sure how much is to be potentially gained and if it would even be worth considering).

Also, what about getting it tuned in after these parts are added? What is required? Do I just take it to an experienced performance shop or do I need to purchase anything?
Thanks
Old 06-13-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LT's are long tube headers. Much better than stock exhuast manifolds and shorties...

Porting could go both ways. if its done wrong you can actually lose power and you're going to end up getting new heads. If they are done right, I'd guesstimate a solid 35-45 rwhp...I think thats typical on an ls1, yours could respond better because its got better heads than an ls1.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

matched (HCI)heads cam intake set up with a tune.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nitrous
Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

long tubes, exhaust, cam in the 224-230 duration range, have your heads ported and possibly milled for more compression, ported throttle body should do you well
Old 06-14-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dereklburt
Can you tell me what LT's are? Now that I think about it a little bit, I am thinking that you are referring to long tube headers? Also, I thought mine had the bigger throttle body being the LS6. It looks pretty big but I have nothing to compare it to. Are you suggesting going with the FAST intake and 103mm throttle body? Do you really get much gain for the money? Also, who makes the 228r cam? Does it require a valve spring upgrade?

It seems like the consensus is that I can keep my stock heads the way they are. It would be nice not to have to remove them. Does anyone know how much difference porting makes? (obviously it is somewhat dependent on the port job but I am not sure how much is to be potentially gained and if it would even be worth considering).

Also, what about getting it tuned in after these parts are added? What is required? Do I just take it to an experienced performance shop or do I need to purchase anything?
Thanks

LT's are long tube headers. They are best. Yes, Get a fast intake and T/B. and sell me the ls6 Manifold and T/B . And yes it's worth the money. 228 Cam you have to look on the tec for a little. Or on the internet. Just search around. Compcams prolly are a good place to look first. Yes, when you put it a performance cam you HAVE to upgrade springs. Porting makes a different but if something goes wrong u will end up spending another grand. Keep em stock. Send it to a dyno and tell them you wanna dyno tune it and run a couple of runs. Getting a programer is easier and cheaper but if you will be doin all that stuff you have to do dyno tune. Anymore questions Man?
Old 06-14-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and if you do wanna port your heads, sell the heads you have now to me, and buy some ported ones. Safer. And for your gears, Unless you are planning on upgrading your rear end, stay under 4.10 Ratio.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

nitrous, longtube/cutout, slicks....good for one or two runs...then time for a new rear-end!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nitrous will melt your motor.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:23 PM

nitrous wont melt your motor if you are tuned for it and dont run it like a 17 year old tard...you can get solid nitrous setup with a window switch, bottle opener, the works! and itll be thousands cheaper and run the same times...i have personally seen that block do 140k miles with a 175 shot (dyno gain was about 160 wheel) as far as the rear end is concerned just dont launch on the juice...hit that button later in the pull and youll be fine
Old 06-14-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, did you run nitrous on a bone stock bottom end? I seen a million people do that setup and end up buying new motors the next week.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:35 PM

Default sure enough

its all in the tune...and changing your spark plugs religiously. most people just throw on the nitrous and overlook the timing, nitrous plugs, and fuel mixture.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone, I will start by looking at some LT's and full exhaust as well as a CAI. This helps a lot with direction. Pretty much what I expected. Hopefully in a year or so, I will be making around 450whp. Then I just have to worry about blowing up the rear diff. Hopefully there will be a good solution for that.

I do wonder if mine had an upgrade of some sort as when I bought it, I specifically asked about the diff as I know that there were some recalls. It did have something replaced at one point. I do know that at least with street tires, it seems to hook really well and I have not noticed any wheel hop, just a nice slight squeal as the tires hunt for traction and I feather the clutch. Actually, of the many cars I have owned (literally probably a hundred in my life), it seems like one of the easiest to launch hard. What should I check to see if it is still stock or updated? The rest of the car is definitely stock so if it was changed, it was probably done at the dealership.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

to start of, get a cam and full exhaust. or you can be cool ( like what I will be doing ) Drive it stock until you get everything u want to install in it and install it all at once. So you can actually feel the power.

Quick Reply: Question about LS6-cheapest way to add 100whp