New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt LS1, how long for rings to seat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 04:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,800 Likes on 1,282 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
ALL motors emit white smoke at startup, it's from the condensation that collects in the exhaust system being vaporized as the warm exhaust gasses hit it.
That I agree with. However,

And it can happen no matter what the outside temp is.
while this might be true on a cold start......

Originally Posted by trans_am_man
the temp outside now is usually around 80 or so and it will still do smoke when started cold and at operating temp (right below 210)
with outside temps in the 80s and the engine/exhaust system at FULL operating temp, I've never seen any "normal" white smoke from any car I've ever owned.

got a bit of a curve ball guys, i took some videos to post up on youtube, i watch the videos and the smoke looks blue against the mat finish on the back.
Ah, well if the smoke is blue that would explain & change some things.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Head Hunter
Have you bothered to take it to a mechanic? I'd think you could get the previous owner to tell you who did the rebuild and take it to them
I haven't taken it to a mechanic yet because i am beyond broke until i start my new job, i would have done alot of things by now if i had the money. I know who did the rebuild and who did the dyno tune and install.

Originally Posted by Kevin01Z28
I wouldn't be talking to him. It probably takes less than 20 or 30 miles for the rings to seat after a rebuild. Thats metal on metal, doesn't take long for new rings to take the cross hatches off the cylinders and be seated. Sounds like whoever rebuilt your engine didn't know how to hone the cylinders or something...
I see what you are saying, and of course he is going to say its all okay just to get it off him. im gonna take it to the place that rebuilt it and try to get some info.

And RPM WS6 thanks for all the input. i appreciate it.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW-bxGybxno

hey guys there is a link to the video i uploaded so you guys can see what im talking about. there isn't alot of smoke in the video, usually smokes the most once i have driven it for awhile, turn it off for ten minutes or so then start it back up. this was just letting it warm up a little then turning it off for a couple minutes and starting it back up.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because it smokes a little after you start it up after it sits for a while, that means oil is leaking past the valve seals. Since you aren't using any oil you don't need to worry about. It sounds like it runs great and that's all that matters.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

any thoughts since the video post guys?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Look blue to me, but it's not as bad as I've seen in other cars.

Hey, I just realized we're from the same area. Where you in the Fresno City College area going south yesterday by any chance? I think I was right next to you.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
Look blue to me, but it's not as bad as I've seen in other cars.

Hey, I just realized we're from the same area. Where you in the Fresno City College area going south yesterday by any chance? I think I was right next to you.
I live in that area, do you have that silver trans am, you were gettin onto the 180?
Old 09-14-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I live in that area, do you have that silver trans am, you were gettin onto the 180?
Yup, that was me with the gf in the passenger seat.

There was a blue Honda riding my ***. I turned slowly, waited for the light to turn yellow then stomped on it to make the light on the on ramp to 180 before it turned red.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes that's oil burning off. That looks like leakage normally associated with top end leakage, rather than rings. It sounds like the PO JUST replaced parts on the bottom end, and left everything as it was up top.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Because it smokes a little after you start it up after it sits for a while, that means oil is leaking past the valve seals. Since you aren't using any oil you don't need to worry about. It sounds like it runs great and that's all that matters.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Ah, well if the smoke is blue that would explain & change some things.

Originally Posted by OMGWTFBODY
Yes that's oil burning off. That looks like leakage normally associated with top end leakage, rather than rings. It sounds like the PO JUST replaced parts on the bottom end, and left everything as it was up top.
I took it to the shop that rebuilt the motor, the guy who did it wasn't in but they called him and explained the situation. he said replace the PCV valve and the breather hose ($6 total) and then change the oil to non synthetic 10-30 or 10-40. he said if the rings haven't seated they still can
Old 09-18-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

AIR BAG light is on. Could of been a higher mileage car with a cluster swap. When you swap clusters it will leave the AIR BAG light illuminated unless you have access to TECH 2. All mileage is stored in the cluster not the PCM.

I was having problems with my cluster and bought one from the yard. 20 mins and $20 later my car only had 40k on it. I have since fixed the problem and swapped back to the original cluster and am proud of my 100k+
Old 09-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smg267
AIR BAG light is on. Could of been a higher mileage car with a cluster swap. When you swap clusters it will leave the AIR BAG light illuminated unless you have access to TECH 2. All mileage is stored in the cluster not the PCM.

I was having problems with my cluster and bought one from the yard. 20 mins and $20 later my car only had 40k on it. I have since fixed the problem and swapped back to the original cluster and am proud of my 100k+

He said the AIR BAG light is on becausze of the clockspring, he offered to get it fixed for $300 but i passed on it, steering controls dont work due to this either he says.

Also i pulled the carfax on it and it all read okay, no accidents, and reported milage all matched up
Old 09-18-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

That thing is going to be a nightmare trying to get inspected. Hopefully you know someone. Good luck with the car.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

That thing is going to be a nightmare trying to get inspected. Hopefully you know someone. Good luck with the car.

what do you mean a nightmare to try and get inspected?
Old 09-18-2010, 06:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,800 Likes on 1,282 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Inspections vary from state to state. Air bag light would have no bearing on pass/fail status here in IL.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Inspections vary from state to state. Air bag light would have no bearing on pass/fail status here in IL.
In PA you can not have any lights illuminated on the dash. And technically you should still have all of your original emissions equipment. I have all of my codes turned off and luckily work at a dealership so my car passes every year.
Your mod list also states ORY ,long-tube headers, EGR and Air Delete. CA is by far the toughest state as far as modding a car is concerned.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

thats why i am happy to live in the sunshine state with none of that garbage..no inspections,or emissions here baby!!!!
Old 09-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

In PA you can not have any lights illuminated on the dash. And technically you should still have all of your original emissions equipment. I have all of my codes turned off and luckily work at a dealership so my car passes every year.
Your mod list also states ORY ,long-tube headers, EGR and Air Delete. CA is by far the toughest state as far as modding a car is concerned.
Oh you mean as far as smog inspection, yeah it just got smogged from the previous owner at his uncles shop, just put in my vin and hook up a stock ls1 and we're good to go, i can go there in 2 years when it has to be done again (hope its still there)

Originally Posted by tonytone4143
thats why i am happy to live in the sunshine state with none of that garbage..no inspections,or emissions here baby!!!!
i need to move somewhere thats not so strict, CA sucks for all that stuff
Old 09-19-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh you mean as far as smog inspection, yeah it just got smogged from the previous owner at his uncles shop, just put in my vin and hook up a stock ls1 and we're good to go, i can go there in 2 years when it has to be done again (hope its still there)

i need to move somewhere thats not so strict, CA sucks for all that stuff
Hey, if your plan A falls through on the smog, hit me up when the time comes. I know a couple people.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
Hey, if your plan A falls through on the smog, hit me up when the time comes. I know a couple people.
hey man thanks alot, i really appreciate it, i dont know how much i can trust the other shop on actually holding their word in two years lol

Quick Reply: Rebuilt LS1, how long for rings to seat?