New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 head gaskets different than LS1 ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 head gaskets different than LS1 ??

I did the 6.0 swap in my car and I haven't even fired the motor yet. There's antifreeze leaking from the middle of the driver's side head. I'm using 853 heads from an LS1 5.7. Now I was told to use new 6.0 head gaskets, but now I'm thinking I should have used new 5.7 head gaskets. Just by visually looking at them they look identical, but as I'm looking up part numbers, they are different. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to get this motor running and the car back on the street before the snow falls. Should I just get new 5.7 LS1 head gaskets and new bolts and see what happens or does anyone know for sure?????
Old 09-28-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should match the gasket to the bore so you should be good there. Can't remember what year but some 853 heads had a tab on them and you had to use year specific graphite gaskets.... 97-98 IIRC

search internal....
Old 09-28-2010, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, thats what my problem is. I used the metal layered gaskets, ugh. Not too bad though, could have been worse.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SOMBitch is correct. You likely have the ones with that tab and need that graphite gasket (12498543)to make them seal correctly!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: LQ4 head gaskets different than LS1 ??