New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 SS SLP fenders -- what's original???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 SS SLP fenders -- what's original???

My 2002 Camaro SS is up for sale. I bought it 3 1/2 years ago from the original GM executive (retiree) who had one small minor accident in the rear. I was having someone's "buying agent" look at the car today and he remarked that both the hood and front fenders have been off the car. He showed me where the fender bolts had been moved and minor overspray over the interior fender bolts. I know I've never wrecked the car ... and I just can't fathom that this distinguished old guy wrecked the front end ... had both fenders removed and painted so well you can't tell they've ever been repainted (i.e. because they haven't been repainted).

It was easy to explain the hood, as SLP removes the factory hood for the ram air hood. I was stumped on the fenders. They are perfect, but it does appear as though they were removed or at least the alignment bolts moved from their original setting (talking maybe 1/16 - 1/8"). I called SLP to ask whether they removed fenders in turning a 2002 Z28 into an SS and the guy on the phone said no. I don't know if it was an informed decision.

Does anyone know for sure whether all (2002) SS's had their front fenders removed or realigned as part of the SS package? If you have a stock body SS, are your fender bolts aligned as they came off the production line or did SLP slide things around getting the hood to set straight? Thanks!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post some pictures and maybe it would help! I would think that they might adjust them to get the gaps to fit better, defintely with a fiberglass hood.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was fortunate to have a tour of the St. Therese plant and the SLP facility in 2000. The front fenders were installed at the GM factory and hammered on with a mallet! The cars at SLP got the "SS appearance package" (minimum) and others got upgrades through SLP like exhaust, susp. etc. The fenders were aligned at quality control at GM prior to leaving that facility. SLP inspected and "QC'd" their own modifications. SLP did not remove any fenders while I was there as there was no reason to. Hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Mine are the same... The lines on the car are flawless and there is zero evidence of a collision. Has to be a factory alignment procedure. I've seen another SS with this same exact 1/8" fender adjustment, volkswagon dealer said it was a clean carfax... which doesnt prove anything... but again, zero evidence of collision.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

When I got my SS I also got a GM VIS printout. One item on the list is Lid, Rear Compartment -- Align. FWIW.
I still can't see evidence of that.
The car is black, theres spots on the back where paint didn't hit it, theres actually brush marks in some spots. This is underneath where the hood rests on the cowl, I had the car 6 years before I ever noticed this.

I've got an '01 Z28 also. The hood fit perfect when I got it, then I put an OEM SS hood on it. Had to adjust the fenders to get the gaps right. Now it's got the marks around the bolts from where it was moved.

I can't see how any finished Z28 would head to SLP for the SS conversion and not need any adjustments.

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 10-11-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks guys. It's very helpful to hear of similar fender adjustments. I know even high quality fiberglass/carbon fiber glass hoods and tails (Getty or GT Products) for a 911 require all kinds of adjustments to get the gaps to be reasonably even.

Anyone else have a never crashed SS? If so, please open the door and looking forward, you'll see an exposed fender bolt. Mine are (both sides) 8.8 cad plated without paint on them. You can tell that the fenders were slightly adjusted.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 10-12-2010, 02:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My fenders show marks as if they were painted in one
orientation and then remounted, but they have never
been touched since it rolled off the truck at the dealer.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the dealer also may have had a hand in the tweaking of your car as well. The dealers were the ones that correccted the bad spot welds on the firewall with the memo from GM for certain 2002s with epoxy and rivets (!) so... You can presume that SLP or GM or the dealer did some aligning as a quality control thing, but it still does not eliminate the possibility of "lot damage" (of which there should be a record at GM) or an undeclared accident from a previous owner (unless you bought it new-see my previous points). Unfortunately, I've lost contact with my contact so if there is no damage or evidence of a wreck we will never really know...
Old 10-13-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

I'll add for instance I bought a 2010 Focus new back in March. Well after hand washing the car a few times I noticed the trunk alignment was horrible. So I had them re align it. Hence now the bolts have missing paint and marks. Could fall into same catagory.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RsSean
I would think that they might adjust them to get the gaps to fit better, defintely with a fiberglass hood.
I agree ... and the buyers agent should know stuff like this happens (especially when a new hood is installed).
Old 10-17-2010, 06:44 PM

well, I ended up selling it for NADA good condition, which is an amazing deal for an unabused car. I was just going through my receipts -- if it needed anything, we did it. At least the guy who bought it from the broker is really stoked about his purchase. He says he'll never sell it.

Well, after 3 Camaros and a Vette, it may be a while before another bowtie purchase. If I do make the plunge, it'll likely be a C5 Z06.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Did the *broker* contact you looking for that specific vehicle (for a client), or, did a buyer contact you ... then have a 3rd party make a physical inspection? Just curious.

Quick Reply: 2002 SS SLP fenders -- what's original???