New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning on buying poly motor mounts...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning on buying poly motor mounts...

Should I go ahead and buy poly transmission mounts too, while I'm at it? Will I experience tons of vibration when they're both installed, or is there really no downside? Thanks.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put a poly tranny mount on my 02 SS and it has a vibration now.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
I just put a poly tranny mount on my 02 SS and it has a vibration now.
Is it unbearable, or just on takeoff?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

With poly motor mounts, there's really no reason to buy a poly trans mount - just pick up a replacement OEM mount.

You could put a martini on my passenger seat and the vibrations would mix it up, but the transmitted gear whine and 2000rpm resonance is just too overwhelming.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

When I did Poly motor mounts, I did the trans mount as well. Feels perfect to me.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4WOFURY
When I did Poly motor mounts, I did the trans mount as well. Feels perfect to me.

Same here.
The poly mounts will make it tough to line the motor up to the mounts again as the poly does not give much.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

I have Poly motor mounts and a poly trans mount and have no vibrations to speak of. The only drawback from the tranny mount is it has a seperate bolt to put in the middle instead of being studded. Go with both man.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the input, guys. Appreciate it. I'll be going with both when the time comes. I had to spend some cash on an oil catch can for the crappy PCV system because the damn thing likes to drink so much oil.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

You can get the poly trans-mount from Advance auto as they usually keep them in stock and you can have them order the Prothane motor mounts too. Again, good luck.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

People say they cause "vibrations" well, somewhat. It's not a night and day difference, just think of your car idling a little lower and the vibrations are really not that bad... most of the times from my exhaust and sound system, I don't even notice it. Maybe when I'm stuck in traffic it'll catch my attention.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TransAm_VS_VR-4
People say they cause "vibrations" well, somewhat. It's not a night and day difference, just think of your car idling a little lower and the vibrations are really not that bad... most of the times from my exhaust and sound system, I don't even notice it. Maybe when I'm stuck in traffic it'll catch my attention.

agreed. You have to virtually be looking for the difference, then after awhile you forget what it was like with rubber mounts anyway.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hated my poly motor mounts from the day that I installed them. the car "buzzed"
Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Don't buy the trans mount.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
I hated my poly motor mounts from the day that I installed them. the car "buzzed"
What trans mount did you have?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

So, what is the purpose of doing the motor and trans mounts? Sorry, I'm a dumb noob. I'm probabably going to be doing headers in the next couple of months and I keep reading that I should do motor mounts at the same time. Why? Whats the purpose? I'm not having any issues that I know of? And poly? solid? Wha?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlueSuperGoat
So, what is the purpose of doing the motor and trans mounts? Sorry, I'm a dumb noob. I'm probabably going to be doing headers in the next couple of months and I keep reading that I should do motor mounts at the same time. Why? Whats the purpose? I'm not having any issues that I know of? And poly? solid? Wha?
Stock rubber mounts crack and tear, allowing the engine to rock side to side - which, aside from being annoying as hell (especially in bad traffic in an M6 car), causes less power to be transmitted to the wheels. I recently went with solid mounts, and even though my stock ones weren't too bad, the car feels much more solid now, and I don't get any annoying motor rock.

It's easiest to do the motor mounts when the headers are being changed, because of how tight it is to get to the mounts.

Poly mounts keep the stock engine pedestals, and replace the OEM mounts with harder, less flexible polyurethane mounts. Solid motor mounts replace the entire stock engine pedestal and directly connect the engine to the chassis - there's no bushing at all.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlueSuperGoat
Your stock rubber motor mounts are probably cracked, broken and make the motor bounce all over the place. If you take the stock Y off and replace it you're more than likely going to hear the motor banging the Y pipe on the floor.

The Poly MM's are freakin tough, they'll keep the motor in line and in one place.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

all poly and NO vibrations......replace the crappy stock PCV with a LS6 valley cover.....worth its weight in gold
Old 10-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Internet Mechanic

When you start to really mod the car you notice how much the engine Torques if you rev the motor. I have been rolling on rubber (car under 50k miles) but recently did a TQ arm relocation kit and a Poly trans mount and there is some vibration, but eventually this winter the Poly needs to go on. Then re do the TQ ARM PINION ANGLE.

If you plan on modding the car it would not be a bad thing to do but if your plan on staying stock, go with factory replacement.