Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hey guys, got a problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey guys, got a problem

hey everyone, i've been on camaroz28 for a long time, and browsed through here for years getting info. Just decided to join...
anyhow i just picked up my new DD yesterday...it's a 2002 z28 silver t top auto. with 72k miles...seems like a great car..its all stock other than catback
anywho.....the car is making a TERRIBLE grind from the rear...i pray it's not the rear end, when my jeep rear end went out it whinned, and moaned, this is a very very noticable loud GRIND...almost thought it was brakes because as you slow down i can hear the brakes sound metal to metal somewhat in the rear....i have a real bad feeling though because of my luck ...i don't do my own work to cars, and i have no idea how to do most mechanical things ....please give me some insight what u think this is thanks guys
Old 10-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

It could be something in the parking brake drum, take the rear discs off and look inside.

To see if it's something in the rear itself, take the cover off and look for metal particles in the oil.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
It could be something in the parking brake drum, take the rear discs off and look inside.

To see if it's something in the rear itself, take the cover off and look for metal particles in the oil.

i would if i had any idea how to do that...i have a basic 200 set tools from sears, but no jack or anything and no experience..
Old 10-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Banned

Well you just need to know how to change a tire to jack one side of the rear up.
Then use a metric wrench set to remove the caliper and rotor.
Doing this with the stock jack might be dangerous.

Maybe just block the front wheels, put it in neutral, jack one rear tire up and spin it. Try to locate the noise.

I bought my big floor jack from sears about 6 years ago, it was on sale for $100 and came with two jack stands. Still works good today.

If you had a jack and jack stands you could remove the rear end cover. It's just ten 13mm bolts.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Look at the inside of the rear tires and brakes .. if you see oil then you have a bad axle bearing.. I have replaced 3 in total . you may need to take the rear brakes apart to look if the seal has not started to leak bad enough yet.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check the rear end fluid level.use a 1/2 drive ratchet ,remove filler plug and check for fluid.if your finger is dry add gear lube.if it still makes a noise you pinion bearing mite be shot and the rear needs rebuilding.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by garygnu
check the rear end fluid level.use a 1/2 drive ratchet ,remove filler plug and check for fluid.if your finger is dry add gear lube.if it still makes a noise you pinion bearing mite be shot and the rear needs rebuilding.
The plug takes a 3/8 drive to remove it.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my bad .
Old 10-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Like the other guys have said it could be a couple of things.
1. It could be a wheel bearing
2. It could be your brakes
3. Maybe a U-joint
4. Or if the ring and pinion has been changed, the gear lash may have been set wrong. Also Diff oil level is very important.