New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads??

Old 11-04-2010, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads??

hey guys i was doin some searching but i cant really find a dummy version of what heads do?? haha if someone could give me the def. in a nutshell i would appreciate, Thanks!!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cylinder Heads to me is a component that allows the fuel/air mixture to be driven to a location call the Combustion Chamber to be compressed to a critical point and once the spark ignites the mixture is expelled through the exhaust port.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

The head is what allows fuel and air to get to your cylinders for combustion. The higher flow(usually described in CFM) the head, the more air and fuel you can push through into your engine in a certain amount of time. This is why cars with aftermarket heads usually are much faster than stock. In a nut shell they are getting more air into them, which then requires more fuel to keep the air to fuel ratio(AFR) right, and you get more horsepower. In a nut shell this is it... There is MUUUCH to be learned if you want to be an expert on the subject... Quite a few parts that are involved in the process of getting the fuel and air through the head, but you can do some research if you want to learn more
Old 11-05-2010, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

ha thanks for the answers guys that is simple enough for even me to understand but if i were to buy some aftermarket ones, after i learn a ton more about them ha, would it be neccesary to change the cam also? basically im askin if i change the heads would it be basically pointless unless i do the cam also?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z28oc91
basically im askin if i change the heads would it be basically pointless unless i do the cam also?
Yes, it would be pointless to go through the hassle of installing good flowing heads without an aftermarket cam. You would still see an overall improvement in performance, but not as much as you would if you would go heads/cam.

Now, you can go with a cam, and not have to switch heads and still see a very good gain in HP/TQ.

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
Yes, it would be pointless to go through the hassle of installing good flowing heads without an aftermarket cam. You would still see an overall improvement in performance, but not as much as you would if you would go heads/cam.

Now, you can go with a cam, and not have to switch heads and still see a very good gain in HP/TQ.

Good luck.
Yep...

The cam is essentially what determines how much of your heads potential is going to be used. Throw a massive cam in a factory head and you will be using all of the heads potential and then more, so it will not be a good setup. Put a small can in a high flowing head and you will not see the true performance ability of the head.

The cam is the operator in the head function(again, missing a good amount of detail, but a basic explanation)

Search this Thread