New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a "start up guide" after rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for a "start up guide" after rebuild.

Does anybody have a link(or book) that can guide me through starting up a LS1 motor after a rebuild. I've build and started many "non LS" motors, but I've already found that there's lots of good details to know about each(ie - the oil plugs, priming the motor, etc.). Any advice here would be great. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts

I've never rebuilt and started a motor but i'm sure if you cranked it a few times without starting it to get the oil in the system, you'll be fine.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...rocedures.html

Refer to post #10, I trust this guy all day long
Old 12-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Cool

I usually do the same thing only leave the spark plugs out too, may not make any difference but I figure it cant hurt to take a little extra load off the rod bearings, plus it turns over faster/builds oil pressure sooner. Kent Moore has a special tool that I use at the dealership that taps into an oil gallery plug and pumps oil into the oil gallery. It's not totally necessary, but If your that worried about it I suppose a crafty fellow could build a tool that did the same thing.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I would change in Damiens post is to use an oil like a Joe Gibbs or Comp Break In Oil that contains a lot of ZDPP. The roller cams in these motors don't need it like a flat tappet cam but it still helps the rings to seat...... Not totally necessary but still a good idea....