New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

multiple LS1 questions (newb)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can get a mail order tune if you can tell some like frost every thing about the motor.the heads need to come off.you can measure the combustion and check for valve seat seal.you can use a dial indicator to find TDC on a piston .and use a straight edge and a feeler gauge to see if you pitons are above or below the block deck,or dish or dome.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boostedbird38
i still agree with everyone else. forget about a high lift cam and nitrous for it. u need get some info from the previous owner. specs on the cam, what was done to the heads, etc. then go from there.

you definitely need to get that custom turbo cam out unless you plan on turboing again yourself....and that will cost way more in the end than putting it back to stock.
My thoughts also so if you decided to go back to turbo it would help you figure out what turbo to get and all that. I mean OP, look at it this way, you go and race someone and win and they ask you whats been done to the car and/or what does it have, had you rather be able to tell them or stand back and be able to tell them? Lol. But for real though, you need to figure out what the orginal owner has done to the car first and fore most.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
I'd say you are jumping the gun when you are talking about headers, exhaust etc. Like everyone else said, you need to get your motor figured out before anything else IMO. That's the problem with buying a modded car especially without any documentation. You have no idea what you are working with.

And FYI, I'm sure he took the turbo out because he could get good money for that selling it separate rather than giving it to you with the car. A good shop/tuner wouldn't have a problem tuning a turbo car.

If you have the ability, there are plenty of shortblocks in the parts classified. Try looking in there just to get you back to stock.
i mean headers, exhaust, and lid are going to happen in the future, why not now? yeah i think he took the turbo out like a couple months before he sold, probably for profit and he said it was really hard to tune.. i still think he has that turbo tune on it cuz it runs rich as all get out.

how would a short block get me back to stock? i know the cam would bring me back to stock but should i look into like modified short blocks. ex- bored out with upgraded cam?

thank you for your time, im sorry for being such a newb, i just wanna do it right the 1st time youknow?

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
^ Idk what brand clear lid it is but there's one out there that isn't so hot. A lot of people have said they had more problems out of the clear lids than the black type lids. They say the "pegs" that stick out that go in the slots to help hold it down will eventually start to break and they were made poorly. IDK what the brand was of if they were speakig of all clear lids or not.
lets hope it doesnt crack!! it wasnt the MTI one, i bought it from speed inc.

Originally Posted by boostedbird38
i still agree with everyone else. forget about a high lift cam and nitrous for it. u need get some info from the previous owner. specs on the cam, what was done to the heads, etc. then go from there.

you definitely need to get that custom turbo cam out unless you plan on turboing again yourself....and that will cost way more in the end than putting it back to stock.
stuff to ask him--
1. specs on cam 2. what has been done to the heads 3. ???
no i dont plan on turbo'ing it again

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
My thoughts also so if you decided to go back to turbo it would help you figure out what turbo to get and all that. I mean OP, look at it this way, you go and race someone and win and they ask you whats been done to the car and/or what does it have, had you rather be able to tell them or stand back and be able to tell them? Lol. But for real though, you need to figure out what the orginal owner has done to the car first and fore most.

ok i will. i just wanna know EXACTLY what to ask him so he knows exactly what he needs to find.
1. specs on cam 2. what has been done to the heads 3. wat else??
Old 01-09-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

imo if its got internals in it dont waste time and money replacing them, the money u spend doing that u can buy a nice turbo setup, if u really dont want turbo, sell block get stock or a built short block for n/a
Old 01-09-2011, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ToxicWS6
imo if its got internals in it dont waste time and money replacing them, the money u spend doing that u can buy a nice turbo setup, if u really dont want turbo, sell block get stock or a built short block for n/a
that is true. but how much would it be for a good turbo setup? or a built short block cuz i dont think i should waste money on a stock short block because the internals would be replaced anyways
Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

well this is how i see it if i was in this situation, was thinking of turbo or engine swapping before and what not, if u spend the roughly 6-7k on a nice turbo kit u can run a decent amount of psi, not to sure but more then most since u have lower comp, so ull be running some pretty good numbers, or u can spend roughly 4k on a built N/A short block, but then u have to pull the engine out of it and swap and in order to do so on this car u have to do it at a shop unless u can get ur car 4-6 ft in the air cause the engine has to come through the bottom, so that would be more money to have some one swap blocks, bolt everything in and tune it all, so it could be roughly same price, advantage is u could sell ur current block though to make some $$ back to some one who wants to go turbo, but thats how im looking at things from what u said so far and what i was thinking when i was thinking of doing it
Old 01-10-2011, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ToxicWS6
well this is how i see it if i was in this situation, was thinking of turbo or engine swapping before and what not, if u spend the roughly 6-7k on a nice turbo kit u can run a decent amount of psi, not to sure but more then most since u have lower comp, so ull be running some pretty good numbers, or u can spend roughly 4k on a built N/A short block, but then u have to pull the engine out of it and swap and in order to do so on this car u have to do it at a shop unless u can get ur car 4-6 ft in the air cause the engine has to come through the bottom, so that would be more money to have some one swap blocks, bolt everything in and tune it all, so it could be roughly same price, advantage is u could sell ur current block though to make some $$ back to some one who wants to go turbo, but thats how im looking at things from what u said so far and what i was thinking when i was thinking of doing it
thanks for putting this in newb terms haha. well how about nitrous on this setup?? how that that hold up? its looking like i might be saving up for some boost.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally could be wrong but I would think for spray, you would still have to have the computer re-done because it's running rich when your N/A right now and it's not like a turbo where your running constant pressure into the motor where as with spray, the only added pressure you get would be when you hit the button so I would think you would need a tune if you went with spray. My $0.02 would be to figure out what size system he had on the car, get it and put it on and atleast take it to a tune shop and make sure everything is fine and see if they could get a little more out of it without compromising something.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

think im going to save up money and do what the car was built for, which is run a turbo. (rear-mount)